How big a impact will Note 8's 4K screen have on VR ?

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I was glad to hear about the 4K screen Note 8 will have. I've read it will make the biggest difference with VR which I've enjoyed so far with my Note 5 and Gear VR. I was hoping someone with more technical knowledge than I could chime in on how big a deal the 4K screen may or may not be.

The GearVR on my Note 5 is a lot of fun, games are OK, but I really like the educational and video/photo stuff. However all the content is slightly blurry and blocky due to hardware. I would love to see better visuals, not sure how much better it may get on a 4K screen like Note 8.

Thoughts ?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With the 1440p display of the Note 5, you shouldn't be having blurry or distorted objects due to the display resolution. That might be due to smudges on the display or on the lenses of the VR headgear. IIRC 4k is 2.25 times more pixels than 1440p and is obviously 4 times more than 1080p. The biggest key on whether or not the Note 8 will be better for VR in terms of sharpness, etc. will be whether or not the content being viewed is actually 4K quality and, when it isn't, if the Note 8 will be displaying it in its intended resolution or attempting to upscale to 4K.

But I'm also going to defer to the technical experts.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't think the "Note 8" will have a 4K screen. The reason I say this is because of battery life. It will be significantly shorter compared to the standard 'Galaxy S8', plus the processor will have to work much harder to continuously push all those pixels.

Maybe they could do something like the Z5 Premium did. So only when you using VR will you have the 4K screen but the rest of the time it will be 2K.

Lets see what happens! I'm still excited though.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away