Things I would like to have in Note 8

anon(634141)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea none of that is gonna happen. It amazes me how so mamy "tech" fans want to stay in the past instead loving the push for the future these phones represent.

Haha yeah I knew that when posting. Just stating what would entice me to consider replacing my Note 4 which besides a wish for a bigger screen I still consider as close to a perfect device. :) Otherwise push for the future? I have no need/want for water resistance (can be added with a case anyway. Not to mention Samsung did it with the S5 that had a user-replaceable battery) or Samsung Pay (which could easily be added to a refined version of a Note 4 for those who want it) or even VR and/or 4K screens (both gimmicks to me). Already stated why I dislike biometric unlock methods (U.S. government in particular would love it if more and more embrace/use it). At this point in time smartphone tech has plateaued so much they're left with trying things like tall and narrow "Infinity" screens (name is purely a marketing ploy).

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a square cornered 6" FLAT 16:9 display as I'm not a fan at all of these new narrow and tall curved displays with rounded corners (ex. S8/G6). I've always used my phone with two hands anyway (phone in one hand, S Pen in the other) so I have no want/need for a one-handed device. Also would like a soft touch back with a 3500mAh user-replaceable battery and a physical home button but not for a fingerprint sensor since biometric unlock sensors are not protected by the 5th amendment (thus I stick with a PIN) but as another way to wake the device. A physical home button also means no onscreen buttons of which I don't care for as they take up valuable screen real estate most of the time.
You are saying that there onscreen navigation buttons take up valuable screen real estate. Yet, you still want a physical home button. Where would this go where it wouldn't be taking up any valuable real estate?
Most of the time, the onscreen buttons are semi transparent and don't really block your viewing.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I want a 6.5" 17:9 display, 6gb of RAM, a camera with bigger pixels, in screen fingerprint sensor and stereo speakers.
You can leave out the 128gb storage as I'm sure that will really inflate the price and isn't required for most people.
The 17:9 display would basically be the same shape as previous Notes, except with the onscreen navigation buttons making it slightly off from the 16:9 ratio.

anon(634141)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You are saying that there onscreen navigation buttons take up valuable screen real estate. Yet, you still want a physical home button. Where would this go where it wouldn't be taking up any valuable real estate?
Most of the time, the onscreen buttons are semi transparent and don't really block your viewing.

To reiterate, 95+% of the time I use my phone with two hands so the physical size isn't a problem even when holding it to my ear with one hand during a phone call. Besides they could reduce the bottom bezel if needed even with a physical home button (ex. if they were to go with a traditional flat 16:9 6" screen). As to onscreen buttons, simply don't care for them as I want my entire screen to be available at ALL times. :)

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Things I would like to have in Note 8:
128GB of internal storage, 6GB RAM, 4K display, 6.4" screen, and removable battery. Well, the last part likely won't happen, but hey.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
What all would you like on Note 8

Smartphones today are just so good, that it's to imagine 'what's next'. The one thing I would like to see is a lower placement on the fingerprint scanner. I'm happy with it on the back, just needs to be a little more accessible to everyone :)

The next thing would be with regards to the battery. No I'm not worried about any problems, I would just like to see a nice big battery that lasts me 8+ SOT :)

The dream for me is to only charge my device every 2nd day. How nice would that be :)

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones today are just so good, that it's to imagine 'what's next'. The one thing I would like to see is a lower placement on the fingerprint scanner. I'm happy with it on the back, just needs to be a little more accessible to everyone :)

The next thing would be with regards to the battery. No I'm not worried about any problems, I would just like to see a nice big battery that lasts me 8+ SOT :)

The dream for me is to only charge my device every 2nd day. How nice would that be :)
I know rumors don't really mean much at this point, but I have read that the Note 8 may have a 4000 mAh battery. That coupled with the Snapdragon 835 could make for some pretty decent battery life😁

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I know rumors don't really mean much at this point, but I have read that the Note 8 may have a 4000 mAh battery. That coupled with the Snapdragon 835 could make for some pretty decent battery life??????

My S7 Active has a 4000 mAh and I love it... if it were just a little more 'High End-ish' (yeah, I love making up words) phone, I might just be staying with it and not waiting for anything!!! :)

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My S7 Active has a 4000 mAh and I love it... if it were just a little more 'High End-ish' phone, I might just be staying with it and not waiting for anything!!! :)
One of the things I like about the Note is the pen, I do use it. It will be interesting to see how the S8 Active turns out, maybe that will be the phone for youツ

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One of the things I like about the Note is the pen, I do use it. It will be interesting to see how the S8 Active turns out, maybe that will be the phone for youツ

No, I was just being facetious - I love and used the S-Pen all the time with my Note 5 and Note 7s! Note 8 it will be!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
After reading about LG G6 another thing comes to mind. I would like them to keep notification led.

I'm sure if you speak to any Blackberry users, they will tell you, the RGB led is an absolute life saver :)

Being able to have a custom LED colour for each one of your Apps is great. I can be working on something important and see a 'Blue' led flashing. I instantly know it's Facebook and not important. :)

So having a notification led is definitely a crucial aspect for me and I would also love to see it there.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
A flat display, at least as an option. Also, it needs to bring improvements in most areas, not just being a GS6 with a Pen(Note 5) and GS7 with a Pen + iris scanner (Note 7). The jump in tech was actually there between the GS4 to the Note 3 and the GS5 to the Note 4. Now the Note just feels like the S line but with the Pen.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
A flat display, at least as an option. Also, it needs to bring improvements in most areas, not just being a GS6 with a Pen(Note 5) and GS7 with a Pen + iris scanner (Note 7). The jump in tech was actually there between the GS4 to the Note 3 and the GS5 to the Note 4. Now the Note just feels like the S line but with the Pen.

I looked seriously at a GS7 before I bought my Note 7 and I didn't see that much of a similarity to make the statement you just made above. I also don't believe that the Note 8 will be a GS8+ with a pen... but we'll see!

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I looked seriously at a GS7 before I bought my Note 7 and I didn't see that much of a similarity to make the statement you just made above. I also don't believe that the Note 8 will be a GS8+ with a pen... but we'll see!
The stand out feature of the Note 7 was the iris scanner. It also only had the curved display, which some might see it as a great feature. Aside from that, I really didn't see any difference between the more comparable GS7 Edge and the Note 7. Same camera sensor, same SoC, just the few extra features that are included with the Stylus. Not enough time passed to see how performance was going to be in the long run. But aside from that, I really couldn't see anything that made the Note 7 stand apart from the GS7 Edge, it was similar to the GS6 and Note 5.

Unlike the GS4 and Note 3. Slightly different designs, but noticeable. The GS4 had the S600 while the Note 3 had the S800 SoC. GS4 maxed out at 1080p 30fps video recording and playback, while the Note 3 had 1080p at 60fps and introduced 4k recording at 30fps. 2GB of RAM vs 3GB RAM. VoLTE,

Then it was the GS5 with the S801, 2GB RAM, improved display quality over the Note 3, questionable ISO Cell Camera imo, but at least they tried something new. The Note 4 came with the S805, 3GB RAM, a 1440p display, another new sony camera sensor, and some other changes.

See, there were a lot of changes made on a hardware level between the S Line and the Note Line and the S. In this case, the Note 5 is pretty much the same as the GS6, and the Note 7 was pretty much the same as the GS7 Edge, yet all the changes and new hardware were brought into the GS7 over the Note 5 and the GS8 over the Note 7. The iris scanner was the stand out feature.

Their focus has mainly been on the design and the Note line is really an after thought. At this point, I'll be surprised if they introduce even a new camera sensor to the Note 8. I don't see many changes from coming to the Note 8 that aren't already on the GS8.

I'm still using my Note 4 because it serves me really well, but I've had zero reason to upgrade to a newer Note. It's not the same as it use to be imo.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Justice a thought...if Samsung came out with a f1.4 aperture on the Note8, wouldn't that essentially negate the need for a dual lens camera? Just have the lens at around 14mm focal distance and incorporate a 3x optical zoom into the lens.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
... and stereo speakers.....

I forgot about my pre-Blackberry (pre-Notes) days (first cell phone was in '96!). After years of standard flip phones, I "graduated" to the LG VX9800, 9900, 10000, etc., then the Env series. They were flip phones with outside screens and normal phone keys, but fuller screens and QWERTY keyboards inside. But I really did miss the stereo speakers they all had when I switched to BB. To me they sounded better than even some of the tinier portable Bluetooth speakers available today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek