Galaxy Note 8 rumored to have a 6.3 inch screen

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Luckily the source and referral are both not official sources or trustworthy, so there's still a very good chance this isn't true.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I read a couple of these articles this morning and have read some pretty interesting stuff.

Phone Arena says "possibly the inclusion of a stylus", now this was certainly news to me.

Then we have Gizmochina who says "either 4GB or 6GB of RAM, and 64GB of internal storage" followed by The Android Soul that states "paired with 6GB RAM and 256GB ROM", wow, quite a big difference when both are reporting on the same story.

Last but not least, we have Phandroid that comes up with "In actuality, it’ll only be 1 inch bigger than the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus", that would make the thing 7.2 inches. I would have to buy a custom back scratcher to reach the top of that thing.

My goodness, all these people are reporting on the exact same story and come up with this kind of quality reporting, SMH. So just take it with a pinch of microscopic flea dust. I stopped reading about this particular story after that and read a more informative article in Cosmopolitanツ

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would you happen to know why China usually gets a larger RAM option?

My guess is they hate lag. JK; I'm not actually sure but from what I've read, it sounds like that market is much more competitive on the spec sheet and puts a much higher value in benchmarks than other markets do. So the companies that sell phones are actually marketing which CPU and how much RAM as a competitive edge, whereas here we really don't care - and by we I mean 99% of the members here and approximately 100% of everyone that's not on AC :p This I believe is one of the reasons that the iPhone is backing off of trying to compete in China, because Apple absolutely cannot compete on the spec sheet, optimization isn't a valid argument on that sheet and their priced so high that they'll get blown out of the water by the native companies.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My guess is they hate lag. JK; I'm not actually sure but from what I've read, it sounds like that market is much more competitive on the spec sheet and puts a much higher value in benchmarks than other markets do. So the companies that sell phones are actually marketing which CPU and how much RAM as a competitive edge, whereas here we really don't care - and by we I mean 99% of the members here and approximately 100% of everyone that's not on AC This I believe is one of the reasons that the iPhone is backing off of trying to compete in China, because Apple absolutely cannot compete on the spec sheet, optimization isn't a valid argument on that sheet and their priced so high that they'll get blown out of the water by the native companies.

Your take on Apple is very logical Aquila. They could not possibly make it in a market with a 3GB phone when the market does not believe in the optimization argument.

Right now there are so many OEM'S that offer 6GB variants in China, it is an absolute must for any OEM to sell a 6GB variant so they can meet their sales quotas.

I wonder how it all got started in the first place though. I mean, why did China feel the need in the first place to desire a higher capacity RAM phone? What makes them so different than the rest of the world that there was enough of a demand there, but nowhere else in the world? What makes that spec sheet so important to them?

Those are not questions you have to answer, they are just my thoughts spewing out onto my phoneツ

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
A guy at Samsung store here said to me today there are "very good chances" Note8 screnn will indeed be 6.3 inches with similar dimensions ratio as the s8+. These sort of things drive me bananas :).

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
They should get that 6.3 inch by making the phone wider. Think about it, there needs to be room for S pen or the battery will be tiny. If they go for the "sleek and thin" design for the Note, it will only create doubts about battery safety again. It would not be good for Samsung.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
They should get that 6.3 inch by making the phone wider. Think about it, there needs to be room for S pen or the battery will be tiny. If they go for the "sleek and thin" design for the Note, it will only create doubts about battery safety again. It would not be good for Samsung.

I totally agree there - you'll need almost a cm just to fit the spen and it's silo, internal clearance for it, etc!!!