Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I recently sold my T-Mobile Note 8 because I wanted quicker security updates. Instead, I got the unlocked Note 8. I knew that Samsung was really bad at updating the unlocked S7s, but they had promised a better experience this year, and some folks initially said they were getting updates quickly.

My T-Mo Note 8 was on January at this point (but they skipped a few months and have a poor track record on my wife's S8).

After loading up and doing all the updated on the Unlocked Note 8, I found it was still on December 2017. I contacted Samsung support. They told me that the unlocked variants are the last ones to get updates. They said they don't have their own distribution servers for these updates, and they rely on carriers, who are naturally going to first focus on their branded devices.

When I protested, they offered me a way to get the updated more quickly. Go to the nearest Best Buy Samsung Experience and the tech there will be able to update it early. When I told them that all of those Samsung Experiences in Best Buy's in the DC Metro areas were no longer staffed by Samsung employees, they acknowledged that the contract with BB ended 12/31/17. They then suggested I either send the phone in (2 week turnaround... Lol), or take it to a center in York PA, 61 miles away from my home.

So let me get this straight. If I want my unlocked Note 8 to be on the latest updates, once a month I've got to either drive 61 miles to have a technician install the update, or send the phone to them for 2 weeks....

This all sounds like a lot of crap to me, but I escalated, and the supervisor said the same thing. I returned the Unlocked Note to Best Buy, and they agreed to waive the $35 restocking fee because they acknowledged that there is no way to get quick security updates, and their advertising on this product is not forthcoming about that important fact.

So if you're buying a Note 8, and updates are important to you, get one from the network that is pushing these out most frequently (afaik Verizon, then T-Mobile). As for me, I'm switching unfortunately to the Pixel XL 2. Samsung's days of being fairly behind on security updates are better than they were in the past, but still bad compared to even HTC, a tiny, almost broke phone manufacturer.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA. Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

TMobile is still December as well.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

Phones shipping with Oreo 8.0.0 and especially “P” will be supporting Project Treble = updates will be less complicated.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

SM-N950F variant still on December here too.

This is what I was talking about earlier. Samsung may have gotten better at pushing them out, but they are more inconsistent than I would have liked.

Got it on the August patch. Waited until November for the November patch, and then December came quickly. And now, we wait again...

Like, come on Samsung. I get the period before a major OS upgrade will result in delays, but surely, you can make sure unlocked units get them first, right? Right?

To add insult to injury, my crappy backup phone got the January patch...

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

SM-N950F variant still on December here too.

This is what I was talking about earlier. Samsung may have gotten better at pushing them out, but they are more inconsistent than I would have liked.

Got it on the August patch. Waited until November for the November patch, and then December came quickly. And now, we wait again...

Like, come on Samsung. I get the period before a major OS upgrade will result in delays, but surely, you can make sure unlocked units get them first, right? Right?
Unlocked get them last according to Samsung Tech support. Makes no sense. Also, I called them out for it on Twitter. No response whatsoever.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Unlocked get them last according to Samsung Tech support. Makes no sense. Also, I called them out for it on Twitter. No response whatsoever.
Shouldn't be the case for international models since they run on an entirely different chipset.

And seriously, if they're selling unlocked devices, they should be the ones shipping out updates.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Hmm. Mine was on January when I sold it last week.

Mine is on December with no update available. I RECEIVED it in January, but it is the December security patch.weird.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Mine is on December with no update available. I RECEIVED it in January, but it is the December security patch.weird.
Most OEMs do that. They ship last month's patch when a new month's one comes.

It's weird and silly.

On a side note, a couple of unlocked Note8s received the January patch. Pretty late though.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Most OEMs do that. They ship last month's patch when a new month's one comes.

It's weird and silly.

On a side note, a couple of unlocked Note8s received the January patch. Pretty late though.
Seems so random.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Seems so random.
It's part of the reason why both the Pixel and Nokias are tempting to me.

They can't match the Note spec-by-spec and especially feature-by-feature, but they're among the best when it comes to security patches.

Obviously, the Pixel gets them day 1 but HMD is doing a stellar job keeping up. Heck, the Nokia 8 is probably going to be the first non-Google phone to get an 8.1 update, or even at all.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site

I bought the UK unlocked model at launch, I still had August security patch until the end of December, but then 2 updates in quick succession brought the Jan 1st patch about a week ago.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

There's also the fact that if you travel, it is much better to have the unlocked model. I guess I could have bought the AT&T branded model, paid it off, then asked AT&T for an unlock. They did that on my S4..S5? I don't even rememember now becasue I have only used unlocked phones since then and when I needed to use them in strange, far away places, they took the SIM.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
PSA. Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

Not to derail the intent of this thread OP, but if you really care about monthly security updates, the only guaranteed way to get those in the Android world is Pixel. There is just no other way. Many manufactures release updates in a quarterly fashion too. The ones that use almost stock Android like the Essential try pushing in a week or two but that's about it.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Not to derail the intent of this thread OP, but if you really care about monthly security updates, the only guaranteed way to get those in the Android world is Pixel. There is just no other way. Many manufactures release updates in a quarterly fashion too. The ones that use almost stock Android like the Essential try pushing in a week or two but that's about it.
I know. I keep hoping Samsung will get better, and for a while it looked like they were. I'm ok with occasionally waiting 2 months. I'm not ok with doing that every time. I am writing this from a Pixel XL 2. I just far prefer the Note 8 as a phone outside of the camera. Google has a long way to go to catch up with Samsung's construction quality, overall feel of the phone, haptic feedback/vibration motor, and obviously the screen. These are all things that at this price $950 for the XL 2 with 128GB, which is the same price give or take as the Note, should not be after thoughts.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Mmmm Samsung seems to do this every year. There's a growing discontent in the forums everywhere about this. Their flagships languish on October security patches while the cheap models are on January patch in some backward third world country...

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Mmmm Samsung seems to do this every year. There's a growing discontent in the forums everywhere about this. Their flagships languish on October security patches while the cheap models are on January patch in some backward third world country...
Do consumers in third world countries deserve less favorable treatment just by virtue of the fact that they live in what you deem a "third world country" ? Does the first world deserve more?

Maybe the third world is a bigger market for samsung ...

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

It's not about deserving, it's about wealth. First world countries have more disposable cash to afford flagship devices. This is how the world is.
But as you say, Samsung would have a good reason for doing so and it would certainly be about profits.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Or BlackBerry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown