Thoughts on Note Edge?

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I would of loved to have gotten the edge but it didn't come out the same time as the regular note 4 which I got for 99 bucks .... if the edge comes out at 399 I couldn't justify spending the extra 300 bucks on it....

Posted via the Android Central App

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
the lower specs of this found make it a non-starter for me. Besides I don't want/need to see stuff on the edge of a phone. Prefer notifications on my Gear 2!!

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
The Edge is not a lower spec device than the Note 4.
The only thing lower is the battery by 220 milli amp hour (3220 vs 3000)
The screen is about 1/4" shorter but it's 1/4" wider than Note 4. And wide is better IMO.

Besides this there is no other spec deficiency that I know of. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.

Last edited:

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Edge is not a lower spec device than the Note 4.
The only thing lower is the batter by 220 milli amp hour (3220 vs 3000)
The screen is about 1/4" shorter but it's 1/4" wider than Note 4. And wide is better.

Besides this there is no other spec deficiency that I know of. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.

Wish they had the same Battery :( need that extra juice

wonder if the Wireless reciver will be same for both
i think the Samsung wireless back cover will be different

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd get it if I could afford to upgrade right now. But since I buy my phones at full price and my Note 3 is still pretty new, I'm not going to. I like the Edge and think that edge screen would be very useful. And I wish people would learn the meaning of the word gimmick so that they would stop using it incorrectly, like in this case.
"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

Like a curved-edge screen.

What usefulness does it have? Easier to scratch and break? Annoying night time illumination when it's face down charging on your bedside table?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
What usefulness does it have? Easier to scratch and break? Annoying night time illumination when it's face down charging on your bedside table?

Those that have it and love it along with those who are suffering from Edge Lust (that would be me) will or already have found ways to deal successfully with these very minor details.

You're gonna have to work harder than that to deter us

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Dakeb: From what I've read in posts here you can put apps on the side panel for easy access and wind up with a clutter free home screen for one thing. People who already have one would be better able to answer this. I have no doubt there are many useful options and features.

It does sound like you're judging without knowing the options though. I ditto the 'go try it out' suggestion, you may find out you like it

I love the looks of it and love the little bit wider little bit shorter size and shape.

If illumination is a problem turn it the other way, cover it with a dark cloth or charge it in another room if it were annoying. My Note 3 screen is off when charging and I would imagine the Edge screen can be turned off, too. Problem solved.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I find it very useful. You can switch to any app that you choose to put on it on the fly with a swipe of the thumb from the edge screen. You just have to try it to see how convenient it actually is. I like when I have an incoming call it displays the contact information on the edge screen and doesn't interfere in anyway with what I'm doing on the main screen. Love being able to just swipe the edge screen to check the time or notifications that you choose to see without turning on the main screen to save battery, which with the testing I've done gives me an extra 45 minutes of battery daily from my usage.

As far as scratching and breaking I've no issues. I've had the phone since December and I'm quite the drinker and tend to drop my phone from time to time. I've dropped it 4 times face down on a rough surface and the only scratch I have on it is a very light hair line scratch in the upper right corner that you can only see when the scree is off when the light hits it just right, could just be luck but it's no worse than dropping any other phone from what I've experienced.

The night time illumination time clock can be turned off completely if you don't want to use it and the brightness is so dim you have to focus your eyes first to see the time. I honestly find the charging notification light to be many more times brighter and annoying but that can also be turned off just like on any other Samsung device.

Bottom line though I find it very useful and will hate not having it if Samsung decides to ditch the idea on future products, I'm spoiled to the ability of being able to access anything at the flick of a thumb.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the sensible answers. I went to the o2 shop today and the guy said "it's just a gimmick" :) you use it like the multi window screen I guess

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the sensible answers. I went to the o2 shop today and the guy said "it's just a gimmick" :) you use it like the multi window screen I guess

Yeah in a way, I like to think of it as like the windows task bar. The only complaint I honestly have about it is when you have it landscape, with the edge screen on top, you can't use the regular notification pull down bar and have to use the edge screen's simple notification that doesn't display detailed information of the notification. You'd just have to try it to see if it's for you or not.

Last edited:

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

Like a curved-edge screen.

Pure nonsense.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
What bugs? I have no bugs. I have perfection.
Like the phone displays caller info in portrait when the phone is in landscape orientation in the car dock. Or you can't disable that irritating "battery fully charged" notification that you have to keep swiping away.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Everything you said, I could not have said any better.

I put the Skinomi Skin tech screen protector on from day 1, it's been a little over 3 months, no peeling or scratches. Combine that with my UAG case and it's still in mint condition.

I find it very useful. You can switch to any app that you choose to put on it on the fly with a swipe of the thumb from the edge screen. You just have to try it to see how convenient it actually is. I like when I have an incoming call it displays the contact information on the edge screen and doesn't interfere in anyway with what I'm doing on the main screen. Love being able to just swipe the edge screen to check the time or notifications that you choose to see without turning on the main screen to save battery, which with the testing I've done gives me an extra 45 minutes of battery daily from my usage.

As far as scratching and breaking I've no issues. I've had the phone since December and I'm quite the drinker and tend to drop my phone from time to time. I've dropped it 4 times face down on a rough surface and the only scratch I have on it is a very light hair line scratch in the upper right corner that you can only see when the scree is off when the light hits it just right, could just be luck but it's no worse than dropping any other phone from what I've experienced.

The night time illumination time clock can be turned off completely if you don't want to use it and the brightness is so dim you have to focus your eyes first to see the time. I honestly find the charging notification light to be many more times brighter and annoying but that can also be turned off just like on any other Samsung device.

Bottom line though I find it very useful and will hate not having it if Samsung decides to ditch the idea on future products, I'm spoiled to the ability of being able to access anything at the flick of a thumb.

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Like the phone displays caller info in portrait when the phone is in landscape orientation in the car dock. Or you can't disable that irritating "battery fully charged" notification that you have to keep swiping away.

The battery fully charged notification is not specific to the Edge. It is part and parcel of Lollipop, no matter the phone or carrier. Google decided that if it has a status bar icon, then it has to have a notification on the lock screen, too. I have no clue what other so very awful bug you might be referring to. It really doesn't sound severe or frequent enough to downgrade the model of phone at all.

Last edited:

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll nudge out my Note 4, for the Edge. I've had the Edge for 3 days now, and am absolutely loving it. I can see great things coming from developers, in regards to the screen edge. Definitely gets a nod from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos