Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thoughts on Note Edge?

Just saw stories and videos on the upcoming Note Edge. Love the looks of it. Looking for input of any kind.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,182 Global Posts

Default Re: Thoughts on Note Edge?

MEH I want the note 4. The edge will get scratched pretty easily imo

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    ROM
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

I can't picture any cases that would protect that edge in a fall and still let you see it.

it's a gimmick. They would be better occupied getting rid of all the bugs in the phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,182 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakeb View Post
    it's a gimmick. They would be better occupied getting rid of all the bugs in the phone.
    It isn't a "gimmick" .... Find use for it anywhere...
    Thanked by:

At first I didn't think it was practical, worried about the cases and possible damage, etc. After watching the few videos available, and figuring someone will have a case with a clear side for it, if I were ready to change from my Note 3, I would definitely get the Edge. The possibilities for its usage are numerous (now if developers will embrace it)! I'm going to hold off though-- maybe the Note 5 next year.
    Thanked by:
    Jalopiejoe and Madd54 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

You are pretty much right in line with my thinking. Case makers *will* find a way to make it work I have no doubt. Thanks.
    Deb

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I'm left handed which pretty much rules me out for the Edge, unless I want to be pressing the curved screen with my hand all the time.

The Note 4 is the way forward

I'd get it if I could afford to upgrade right now. But since I buy my phones at full price and my Note 3 is still pretty new, I'm not going to. I like the Edge and think that edge screen would be very useful. And I wish people would learn the meaning of the word gimmick so that they would stop using it incorrectly, like in this case.
    jim_h#AC likes this.

I'm left handed as well so I don't know how well the Edge is going to work out for me. Left handers will just have to wait until we can actually get a feel for the phone when it hits the stores. Other than that concern, it looks great and I'm sure it'll be a great operating device. I'm looking forward to the Edge and Note 4 and will be making my decision when I can get a feel for both of them.

Ah. You guys have got around to the lefties thing. Me also.
    I was thinking it shouldn't matter which way you grip it. Right handers would have the edge being pressed by their palm, left handers would be pressing their fingertips there, though with an open hand in use so in one way it's a lefties phone.
    I do type with my left though. Hang on, I got that wrong, I would be holding it in my right and pressing the edge with my palm. We'll have to wait the reviews.

Anyway, the point I was gonna make is they would need to make that area switchable to a non touch mode.
    I would also like to see apps that would use it as a ticker tape style display of news, texts, email reader etc. You could then lay it down or attach it to a car in interesting places.

Ultimately, if it has better signal quality and wifi etc it could be for me. I will be waiting until December anyway.

(I do really like the metal side frame of the Note 4 too.)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    I know some things, I don't know other things.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

I like the edge but I want to try the Note 4 and its metal frame, also I wonder if the edge would have looked better on the top or bottom of the phone, or both. I didn't even think of the lefty issue...

My other issue with both devices why aren't they water-resistant? Is it due to the metal frame? the S-Pen? Anyone have any insight on that?

It's interesting but it's plastic and I like the metal look on Note 4
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Just looks wierd to me. Havent taken the time to look at vids. Need to hold one first.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Need to see and hold it.
    Samsung has come up with a use for it. Can't say if it be useful for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Heard the price is going to be Alot.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

I don't really need a curved display, I want a foldable display, now that's revolutionary.

Posted via the Android Central App
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/9660mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Use Firefox Mobile for Android for enhanced security, speed, privacy, and battery.
    johnmltb33 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
    I like the edge but I want to try the Note 4 and its metal frame, also I wonder if the edge would have looked better on the top or bottom of the phone, or both. I didn't even think of the lefty issue...

My other issue with both devices why aren't they water-resistant? Is it due to the metal frame? the S-Pen? Anyone have any insight on that?
    Top is an idea that I didn't think of it either. However there would be less room on the top or bottom for that matter then there is along the sides.
    Deb
    johnmltb33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't really need a curved display, I want a foldable display, now that's revolutionary.

Think again
    http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=42791
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM-G925F 128GB

Samsung Galaxy-S2 AT&T/Note N-7000/S3 i9300/Note2 GT-N7100/S4 i9505/GT-S5310B/Note3 SM-N9005/S5/ SM-G900F/ Note Edge SM-N915F
    HTC HD2 Telstra T9193
    AT&T-Nokia 6620/Tilt-HTC_TyTN_II/HTC Fuze
    Sprint-Sanyo SCP-4500/Sanyo SCP-5500 (VM-4500)
    Nokia 9210 Communicator
    Ericsson(1997)-GA628/GF 788/T65

The fewer of us own the Edge the more impact it will make when we whip it out.
    Samsung Galaxy Note Edge - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
    johnmltb33 and H3aTeRzz like this.

I would of loved to have gotten the edge but it didn't come out the same time as the regular note 4 which I got for 99 bucks .... if the edge comes out at 399 I couldn't justify spending the extra 300 bucks on it....

Thanked by:

the lower specs of this found make it a non-starter for me. Besides I don't want/need to see stuff on the edge of a phone. Prefer notifications on my Gear 2!!
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2

The Edge is not a lower spec device than the Note 4.
    The only thing lower is the battery by 220 milli amp hour (3220 vs 3000)
    The screen is about 1/4" shorter but it's 1/4" wider than Note 4. And wide is better IMO.

Besides this there is no other spec deficiency that I know of. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.
    Samsung Galaxy Note Edge - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
    H3aTeRzz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    The Edge is not a lower spec device than the Note 4.
    The only thing lower is the batter by 220 milli amp hour (3220 vs 3000)
    The screen is about 1/4" shorter but it's 1/4" wider than Note 4. And wide is better.

Besides this there is no other spec deficiency that I know of. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.
    Wish they had the same Battery need that extra juice

wonder if the Wireless reciver will be same for both
    i think the Samsung wireless back cover will be different
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM-G925F 128GB

Samsung Galaxy-S2 AT&T/Note N-7000/S3 i9300/Note2 GT-N7100/S4 i9505/GT-S5310B/Note3 SM-N9005/S5/ SM-G900F/ Note Edge SM-N915F
    HTC HD2 Telstra T9193
    AT&T-Nokia 6620/Tilt-HTC_TyTN_II/HTC Fuze
    Sprint-Sanyo SCP-4500/Sanyo SCP-5500 (VM-4500)
    Nokia 9210 Communicator
    Ericsson(1997)-GA628/GF 788/T65

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    I'd get it if I could afford to upgrade right now. But since I buy my phones at full price and my Note 3 is still pretty new, I'm not going to. I like the Edge and think that edge screen would be very useful. And I wish people would learn the meaning of the word gimmick so that they would stop using it incorrectly, like in this case.
    "In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

Like a curved-edge screen.

What usefulness does it have? Easier to scratch and break? Annoying night time illumination when it's face down charging on your bedside table?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast