Reviewers are slamming Note Edge today

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just Googled Note Edge and read recent reviews from the WSJ, BGR, PC Magazine and Business Insider.

They are ALL bashing it, calling it a gimmick and recommending the Note 4 over it.

Interesting.

Mine is still pre-ordered, though...

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Did you read this at the end:

Should You Buy It

Nope. The curved screen on the Note Edge can surprisingly useful, and way less of a random gimmick than any curved-screen phone that's come before. But! It's not useful enough to be worth the extra $100 you can expect to pay for it. Besides, it's not worth the drawbacks; You lose compatibility with the upcoming (and awesome) Gear VR, you sacrifice some precious battery life, and you'll hate yourself a little bit every time you try to put the phone to sleep.

If the Note Edge was the only new Note phone, this might be a tougher call, but since it's not, the decision is easy. The Galaxy Note Edge is not a total disaster by any means, but you should definitely just get the Galaxy Note 4 instead, and maybe use some of the money you save to buy a bedside alarm clock and a book of conversation starters.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Here's the bottom line. Yes, the Note 4 is better for the main stream user... BUT - what about those who want something new and different? I have a Note 3 and was not excited for the Note 4 because it was not different enough. The Edge is new and different than my Note 3 and get's me excited! Forget the reviewers...they are reviewing for the main-stream.

They also ripped the heck out of the Gear, Gear 2, and probably ripping the Gear S. But again, I've had all three and have nothing but good things to say about all three products. None of my friends have the Gear....doesn't bother me one bit. I get a compliment on my watch everywhere I go.

Do I care what reviews say?

Nope.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I am a tech expert and I only care about reviews from tech sites. Never even bother to consider reviews from a paper like WSJ. Who cares what WSJ thinks about a car or a phone.

As a rule, the only thing I want from reviewers is to tell me if a certain product has serious issues, or serious short comings. But as for useability, I make that decision myself.

Keep in mind, as Note users, almost all these sites, tech or otherwise, used to tell us that the Note was too big and it will never be popular. How wrong they were.

I have played with the Edge sufficiently and watched plenty of YouTube videos of the device to be convinced that it's my next phone.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Gsxr151 and Shiva77 on this one. Reviewers for mainstream consumers don't influence my purchase decisions. If I recall correctly, the Galaxy Gear was a solution to a problem that didn't exist and it cost too much to be an unproven device. The Galaxy Gear has served me well over the last year.

I don't try every new concept that comes down the pike. However, when one seems to be interesting to me and can enhance the way that I use a smartphone, I'm willing to try it for myself and ignore the nay-sayers.

joganjani

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
If I went by reviews, I'd have had iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I do not give a damn about what WS or Forbes or anybody else says.

I liked Edge with all videos and the material I have read. It was love at first sight when I saw videos from Berlin. I've seen people using note and I knew what I'm missing from my Galaxy S4. I've not had a chance to play with Edge still I ordered it and I know I'd like it.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The Edge isn't and won't be for everyone. Personally for me, it isn't worth the extra $100 at all. It looks cool, but if paying $100 to look cool & have a full plastic build is one's cup of tea, then hey, go for it. I do think though that for those who are purchasing it for reasons other than to look cool and different, I think they will really find alot of benefit with that curved portion of the screen and will love its features that they are getting it for. Me, I'd rather waste my money on the VR Gimmick for my Note 4 once it drops since it sounds promising... gimmicky... but promising.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoVATechChick

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
The Edge isn't and won't be for everyone. Personally for me, it isn't worth the extra $100 at all. It looks cool, but if paying $100 to look cool & have a full plastic build is one's cup of tea, then hey, go for it. I do think though that for those who are purchasing it for reasons other than to look cool and different, I think they will really find alot of benefit with that curved portion of the screen and will love its features that they are getting it for. Me, I'd rather waste my money on the VR Gimmick for my Note 4 once it drops since it sounds promising... gimmicky... but promising.

It's worth the extra $100 to me - and it's not a full plastic build.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Note edge looks awesome and I almost got it. But I went with the standard note 4 because I personally thought the edge screen was too new and wasn't worth the extra $100. But the phone is awesome looking and really makes a statement for the future of phones and what to expect.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's the bottom line. Yes, the Note 4 is better for the main stream user... BUT - what about those who want something new and different? I have a Note 3 and was not excited for the Note 4 because it was not different enough. The Edge is new and different than my Note 3 and get's me excited! Forget the reviewers...they are reviewing for the main-stream.

They also ripped the heck out of the Gear, Gear 2, and probably ripping the Gear S. But again, I've had all three and have nothing but good things to say about all three products. None of my friends have the Gear....doesn't bother me one bit. I get a compliment on my watch everywhere I go.

Do I care what reviews say?

Nope.

Ironically, I was sort of thinking the same thing recently. I have a Note 3 and at times, I want to upgrade to a Note 4 and other times I do not want to. I guess what it boils down for me, is that the Note 4 is too similar to the Note 3 for me so, that if I go with a Note 4, I am thinking I still have a Note 3. The Edge is unique enough for me to stay with the Note series and still feel as though I am upgrading.

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I got the Note 4 from T-Mobile on launch day, I was the first one in the store. Thanks to having a grandfathered Jump account, I was able to Jump to the Note Edge, again on launch day. I love this device. The side screen is cool and customizable. I have my home screen set to a pic of my and my girl, with no icons cluttering up the scree . And the game Tiny Burger is fun too! (A time wasting game played only on the side screen, but fun when on public transportation). The downside is there are no accessories for it right now. No cases or screen protectors. Until then, I will be super careful.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I think reviewers just "have" to find something wrong with what they're reviewing. Like one poster stated, I'm only interested in what might be wrong with something. Whether I like how it looks or feels or if it's "useable" is my call, not theirs. I've been checking out both the Note 4 and the Edge. I've come to the conclusion that while the Edge has no real advantage over the 4, that alone is not enough to turn me away. If I find the Edge suits me and I like the look and feel of it, then that's what I'll get. Just cause some ***** I don't even know thinks it's stupid to spend extra for that Edge, doesn't mean I'm drinking the kool-aid. They're no better than reviewers saying the iPhone 6 is the best one yet. Well duh. It's new but just because it's the best one yet, doesn't mean it's something you should buy. You really have to learn what to look for in these articles. I put my hands on an Edge the other day and came away far more impressed than I thought I would be. Well played Samsung.

ivtec21

May 3, 2012
Visit site
just bought mines last night...upgraded from my trusty S3....so far...AMAZING PHONE...wanted a note4 but they didnt have any in stock. seen my wife play around with the edge and just fell in love.

ahmad12

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Just Googled Note Edge and read recent reviews from the WSJ, BGR, PC Magazine and Business Insider.

They are ALL bashing it, calling it a gimmick and recommending the Note 4 over it.

Interesting.

Mine is still pre-ordered, though...

I have both and I love them both. It a matter of preference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs