Edge orientation?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to set up the scrolling message, and notifications, on the edge screen to rotate so that it's legible (as opposed to being upside down) when the phone is laying flat on a table?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Flat isn't an orientation for the position sensor (it only senses the orientation of the phone relative to the screen being vertical), so the screen orientation when the phone is horizontal will depend on masscons (concentrations of mass anywhere up to a mile below the phone - and they're pretty random). Put something under the edge you want to be the top of the display - even a thin piece of cardboard may be enough.

Science can do a lot - but it can't measure something that can't be measured, and if all 4 sides of the phone are at almost the same gravitational value, the phone can't determine which edge you want to be the top one, so it chooses the best way it can - which, many times, isn't the one you want (since there are 4 possibilities, and only one way you want, you have only a 25% chance of having it choose your way).

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Flat isn't an orientation for the position sensor (it only senses the orientation of the phone relative to the screen being vertical), so the screen orientation when the phone is horizontal will depend on masscons (concentrations of mass anywhere up to a mile below the phone - and they're pretty random). Put something under the edge you want to be the top of the display - even a thin piece of cardboard may be enough.

Science can do a lot - but it can't measure something that can't be measured, and if all 4 sides of the phone are at almost the same gravitational value, the phone can't determine which edge you want to be the top one, so it chooses the best way it can - which, many times, isn't the one you want (since there are 4 possibilities, and only one way you want, you have only a 25% chance of having it choose your way).

Thank you. I have no idea as to what you are referring to, but I appreciate the response.

cgooge14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
d01f65ff2c3d9cf772da57b0c42a9175.jpg

Did you try swiping up from the bottom of the edge screen, clicking the settings wheel, then rotate display?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-22-19-09-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-22-19-09-37.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 142

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, the night clock does display in the correct orientation. I just cant seem to figure out how to make anything else do so?

I've tried, but they're doesn't appear to be a setting for it. Hopefully a developer can get it worked out.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, the night clock does display in the correct orientation. I just cant seem to figure out how to make anything else do so?

It's great to "see" you again DAS! I just had this problem and figured out the solution. The advice given by cgooge14 in post #4 is correct. You have to have your overall phone's screen rotation on, then select the rotate 180 degrees option in the Edge screen settings. Once you close your phone cover or put the phone to sleep, turn the phone upside down and it will make the Edge screen readable from the right side of the phone.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It's great to "see" you again DAS! I just had this problem and figured out the solution. The advice given by cgooge14 in post #4 is correct. You have to have your overall phone's screen rotation on, then select the rotate 180 degrees option in the Edge screen settings. Once you close your phone cover or put the phone to sleep, turn the phone upside down and it will make the Edge screen readable from the right side of the phone.

Hello 21stNow. It is so nice to "see" you again. I have always enjoyed reading, commenting on, and sharing the latest tech news and gadgets with you.

I have been away from the forums for a while, but never far from technology.

Thank you so much for the advice about the screen orientation. I did exactly as you indicated and now the orientaion is flipped around to be right side up and working fine.

:)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Try unchecking the 180° box in the manage settings.

Please reconsider unchecking the 180° box. In my case I unchecked the box, but that didn't work.

I suggest using the advice given by 21stNow. The method suggested will allow the Edge screen to be viewed the right side up when laying flat on a table.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello 21stNow. It is so nice to "see" you again. I have always enjoyed reading, commenting on, and sharing the latest tech news and gadgets with you.

I have been away from the forums for a while, but never far from technology.

Thank you so much for the advice about the screen orientation. I did exactly as you indicated and now the orientaion is flipped around to be right side up and working fine.

:)

I'm glad that it worked for you!

Be sure to share the interesting tips and tricks that you have found for the Edge when you get a moment.

joganjani

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have my Over all Screen Rotation On and 180 checked. Still I'm getting upside down when I rub like a genie or on yahoo news scrolling etc.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my Over all Screen Rotation On and 180 checked. Still I'm getting upside down when I rub like a genie or on yahoo news scrolling etc.

What you need to do is turn the phone from portrait to landscape, when you activate the edge screen.

You will then see the display rotate to the correct orientation. I had to do it once or twice to get the feel down.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Ah! Got it. But an option in setting would be real nice to set it that way.

I agree with you. If it wasn't for 21stNow I don't think I would have ever figured it out. I even called Samsung support about the issue and they had no information on how to make it turn.

I knew it was possible because I saw it in a video review, but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007