Edge Screen on Regular Phones

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I am loving the usefulness of the curved display. And I love having this feature being unique. But after thinking about it, what is going to stop someone from developing an app that can mimic pretty much everything the edge screen does for a regular phone? It could possibly be made to where it was activated by running your finger down the right edge of the screen.

Loving my Note Edge though. My right thumb is very happy!

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I am loving the usefulness of the curved display. And I love having this feature being unique. But after thinking about it, what is going to stop someone from developing an app that can mimic pretty much everything the edge screen does for a regular phone? It could possibly be made to where it was activated by running your finger down the right edge of the screen.

Loving my Note Edge though. My right thumb is very happy!
I don't think you could achieve the same effect with a software or even a firmware solution. Sure you could put a "drawer" or "dock" along the side of a screen with software and try to make a poor man's replication, but it will not come anywhere close to the fluidity of 2 separate screens of the Edge.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That is already here. On my Note 2 when you chose to do split window you would drag in from the left side of the screen. On this phone or my G3 hold back button and it pops up. Granted that is for split window. With a little software tweak it could be done. If/when it happens we can laugh at the people and say we have the real thing.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you could achieve the same effect with a software or even a firmware solution. Sure you could put a "drawer" or "dock" along the side of a screen with software and try to make a poor man's replication, but it will not come anywhere close to the fluidity of 2 separate screens of the Edge.

I disagree. At its root, all the Edge really is is a software trick. There aren't physically two separate screens, just one screen that curves around the edge and is considered by the phone's software to be something separate from the main screen. If you use the one handed operation that shrinks the entire screen down in order to be able to use it with one hand, you can see that you still have all the functionality of the edge screen, but it's no longer along the physical edge of the phone.

There's no physical reason you couldn't have the exact same functionality as the edge has on a normal phone. I'm not saying it's not useful, but let's not kid ourselves. There's nothing special about the screen itself that makes it physically impossible to have the functionality that the edge has on a normal phone. Sure, it may not be as ergonomic to use on a normal phone, and functions like the ruler or the night clock may not make as much sense on a phone with a flat screen, but it's physically possible to do it even without the curved screen of the Edge.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. At its root, all the Edge really is is a software trick. There aren't physically two separate screens, just one screen that curves around the edge and is considered by the phone's software to be something separate from the main screen. If you use the one handed operation that shrinks the entire screen down in order to be able to use it with one hand, you can see that you still have all the functionality of the edge screen, but it's no longer along the physical edge of the phone.

There's no physical reason you couldn't have the exact same functionality as the edge has on a normal phone. I'm not saying it's not useful, but let's not kid ourselves. There's nothing special about the screen itself that makes it physically impossible to have the functionality that the edge has on a normal phone. Sure, it may not be as ergonomic to use on a normal phone, and functions like the ruler or the night clock may not make as much sense on a phone with a flat screen, but it's physically possible to do it even without the curved screen of the Edge.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The Note Edge uses 2 individual screens. The 2560 x1440 main display and the 2560 x 160 curved edge display.

EsEllEmm

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand that the official specs on the phone list two displays, but I was under the impression that from a physical hardware standpoint the entire thing is one LED display that is manufactured on a flexible plastic substrate and then installed underneath a curved piece of glass, and then the software in the phone divides the display up into two parts and can activate either one or both as needed.

But, since neither of us are actually involved in the manufacture of the phone, I don't think anyone can say for sure. It's certainly possible that there might physically be two displays under the glass screen, and it's possible that it may all be one piece.

Either way, arguing this is a moot point in relation to the actual topic of having the "edge" functionality on a normal phone. Again, I don't think anything precludes a normal phone from having the exact same features on it as the Edge, the only difference being that the edge toolbar would be flat if it were implemented on a normal phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63