Settings Update?

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Android newbie learning about my new Edge. I was looking some stuff up on Settings, and I got a notification that there was an update for Settings, which I accepted.

- Did anyone else see the Settings Update?

- Later I was in Settings again, and I did a search for "Night Clock". Search found it...but when I selected "Night Clock", I got an error saying that Settings had stopped and it bombed me back to Home. This is repeatable. I then tried to do a different search, this time for "Messages", and again search found it, but this time took me to the Messages Settings (no error).

Thoughts?

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Android newbie learning about my new Edge. I was looking some stuff up on Settings, and I got a notification that there was an update for Settings, which I accepted.
I think you should a factory reset to take things to the old style which seemed better for you.

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm...not a style issue that I can tell. I just wanted to know if others got the same update recommendation...or could try the same search I did and see what happens?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone! I haven't seen an update like this. Was it an update direct from Samsung? What carrier are you on?

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with AndroidProf 's suggestion to do a factory reset and start from scratch. If that update shows up again could you screenshot?

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Okay, I'll try this weekend. In the meantime could someone perform that search and see if it works? Settings > search > night clock

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
...and how do you take a screen shot on this device?

...and are there any tutorials available that I can peruse to more quickly ramp up my learning of all the ins and outs of the phone?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
For a screenshot simultaneously press the home and power button and hold.

This seems to be a decent video I found to get more familiar with the features of your phone

http://youtu.be/25r1f8dDnIg

Edit: there are slight differences in some of the functions of the note 4 vs edge. Side key panel for example is not the same on note edge.

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
...and how do you take a screen shot on this device?

...and are there any tutorials available that I can peruse to more quickly ramp up my learning of all the ins and outs of the phone?

Anastasia I performed the search as you asked but I did not get a message indicating the need to perform an update. I'm using a Sprint version, so that may be the difference?

I have attached a user manual in .pdf to assist with any learning curve you may have. It's for the Sprint version, but the features are pretty much the same.

I would also recommend viewing the many YouTube videos about the phone. Most are downright ridiculously uninformed, but below is a link to more informed review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-lPsb4_CA

Attachments

• Note Edge User Manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 33

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone...really appreciate it. :) Last question: I found the Factory Data Reset...but that sounds like it just removes my stuff. How do you reload the Edge as a whole?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone...really appreciate it. :) Last question: I found the Factory Data Reset...but that sounds like it just removes my stuff. How do you reload the Edge as a whole?
This will remove all your files and also will reset it back to how the phone was when shipped brand new (or if you got any updates how the phone would have shipped new if it had those updates)

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, DAS and vasekvi! I've actually tried to post several times since I last wrote, and I kept getting hit with this error:

Android Forums Message
An error has occurred Anastasia! You must have 10 posts in order to post links. Your current post count is 8

The problem is that I'm not posting any links at all! I reported the bug, but it's still happening.

I wonder if it's misinterpreting the at-sign for trying to embed links (this is the tester in me)? Let's see if this works....

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so reposting....

THANK YOU AGAIN @DAS! I had actually youtubed the Edge prior to posting, and you're right: A lot of silliness out there, while this one that you shared was really good. I think I learned three new things from it. Now...off to read your .pdf :)

Thanks also to @vasekvi: I found what you said regarding the factory reset in @DAS's .pdf

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
...and now to catch up with the problem I had performing Settings > search > night clock after an update request, I have gotten two additional update requests for other tasks, and while I canceled out of both, I was able to get a screen capture of one. I got the below when performing Settings > Edge screen > Manage panels > Tap here to download panels.

Screenshot_2014-12-20-13-00-43.jpg

I have rebooted my phone, but have not yet rebuilt it. Thoughts?

Anastasia

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Did the factory reset. This did not fix the Settings > Search > Night clock error...it still gives the following error:

Unfortunately, Settings has
stopped.
OK

Swiping down from home, I see:

Samsung account
A new version of Samsung account is availab...

My question is: Did none of you get this notification???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs