Buyer Beware Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge

ghobden2002

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Buyer Beware!! The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge has known antenna issues that cause dropped calls. When you call Samsung, they will claim that they are not aware of any issues, but my wireless carrier has told me that this is indeed a known issue and Samsung is having to repair these phones for this issue.
The problem this creates for you if you chose to purchase a “new” Galaxy Note 4 Edge, is that will receive a “refurbished” phone back is that had some problem with the phone “fixed”. The Samsung Representative told me that they only make these phones to order, so if you want your phone repaired, you need to ship it to El Paso, Tx. and be willing to be without a phone while they repair it. (Another strong indicator that Samsung doesn’t want to create any new inventory for this phone as it’s sales are extremely poor, and representative why Apple has had their lunch since the introduction of the Iphone 6.)
My experience with Samsung is an example of a company that does not stand behind its products and is incorrectly having its representatives telling customers that “they are unaware of the problem…” You would think that they would want to resolves these types of problems quickly so negative press doesn’t get out about their new, revolutionary Galaxy Note 4 Edge. When I asked the Samsung Representative about the whether it was reasonable to expect a customer to be without a phone while they repaired their defective phone? The answer that I received was “we follow the warranty agreement only and there is nothing we will do outside of that. Run far from Samsung and stick with a US company that is known to support their customers and products. Trust me, you do not want to be in the position that I am in where I paid ~$850 for an unreliable phone where the 1.) manufacturer offers an unrealistic support solution; 2.)does not admit to manufacturing defective phones and 3). has no confidence in their own product and will only fix phones to order….

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad that you're experiencing such pain, but my experience the exact opposite. I've owned Samsung headsets for years and other than the SD card bug (since the Note 2, their phones seem to 'kill' SD cards after a while), I've never had an issue! And the one time I did need to replace my phone, they shipped the new one overnight and gave me a month to return mine because I was leaving on vacation and couldn't make it to a post office until I returned.

As far as the antenna issues with the Edge, still not something I've heard about and the two units I've tested have no issues whatsoever when making calls, and I even used one for a 27-minute call (the reason I didn't get it because the side felt too slippery after a while).

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had my VZW Note Edge since the day of release and have had many long phone conversations, some as long as 1 hour or 90 mins and I have NOT had any dropped calls at all, and the sound quality is quite nice, so is the Bluetooth antenna.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
No problems with mine either. Hmm why is that one person, or two out a million phones has a problem, and now they are crap? I had a problem with the S3 and it's reception, but that was carrier related S3's, USCC bought all of Samsung's bad S3 and tried to pass it off to their customers for cheap. I had replaced 5 of them, before giving up and moving on. USCC left Chicago, and I went to AT&T, no problem with my S5 or my Edge. Maybe it isn't ALL Edges, but the Edges sold to your carrier? Another thing is you many be a iPhonemaniac and decided to come here and knock Samsung with your first post?

ajamudc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No dropped calls here either with Verizon Note Edge. Actually, the signal strength and call quality has been outstanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Note Edge

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had several dropped calls but have come to realize that this is due to my WiFi connection... as soon as I disabled WiFi calling everything worked like a charm... another happy and proud edge owner!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note Edge

StaticidePT

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My Note Edge has worked to perfection. Guess I'm trying to figure out where the "known issue" comes from since I have never heard of it or seen it reported. Not like with the Note 3. That one I know has some issues, but the Edge? Love it! Long convos no matter where I go with no drops.

Posted via the Android Central App

Birdflu23

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have had many dropped calls when on Wi-Fi. I will be disabling it when receiving and making calls and will report back at a later date.

Other than that, I absolutely love my Note Edge!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had many dropped calls when on Wi-Fi. I will be disabling it when receiving and making calls and will report back at a later date.

Other than that, I absolutely love my Note Edge!

That, I think, it's on T-Mobile's WiFi calling. While handy, it's still very unstable. And that's not only on the Edge, it's all around in all supported phones. Yes, iPhonys too.

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung Representative told me that they only make these phones to order...

(Another strong indicator that Samsung doesn’t want to create any new inventory for this phone as it’s sales are extremely poor...)

Samsung has sold about 650,000 Edges. That doesn't sound like "extremely poor" sales. No way they make a cell phone "to order". These are mass produced just like any other electronic device.

Oh, and I've never had a dropped call on Sprint.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Note Edge, as was stated since day one, has been an experiment with limited release to wet the appetite and also in some ways test the waters of this amazing new technology until the S6 Double-Edged phone will be announced on March 1, which will take the Edge from exclusivity to the mainstream. (and would make me very sad, since my Edge will no longer standout. :) )

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...alaxy-s6-edge-double-edged-screen-leaked.html

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is standard procedure, the requirements to send in the phone for service and potential refurbished device under warranty. Many companies require this. As always, you should read the warranty terms before buying.

With that said, Costco has a 90 day exchange policy so you can get a new replacement at least for 90 days, if you bought from Costco.

Additionally, Verizon will send you a replacement first and you send back your old one. Now the replacement might be refurbished

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you mentioned apple, here is an excerpt of the iPhone warranty terms :

" WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?
If during the Warranty Period you submit a valid claim to Apple or an AASP, Apple will, at its option, (i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (ii) replace the Apple Product with a device that is at least functionally equivalent to the Apple Product and is formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price."

Yeah you can go to an apple store to get it fixed right away. Apple does have that. So if you can not wait for verizon to overnight the phone to you then apple would be a better choice. I am not sure about other carriers, but I do believe that they also have expedited service options too

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20