I have forgotten my fingerprint scanner back up password, how can I get into my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0LANGY0

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner back up password I have forgotten

I need to unlock my note 4 edge the fingerprint scanner is not there and the phone is asking for the back up password I can not remember it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My fingerprint scanner back up password I have forgotten

You can try resetting your secure password via Google Device Manager by logging into your Google account.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3265955?hl=en

Unfortunately, a secure lockscreen means just that: Secure. If you somehow lost fingerprint ID functionality and cannot remember the backup password (which was, after all, a back up should you lose fingerprint ID functionality in the first place), there's no other way to get your device to unlock legally.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You can try a Master reset using the hardware keys. After all, this is YOUR phone and not a borrowed one.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14678

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Edge via AT&T using Tapatalk

Yeah, but doing a factory reset always means one thing: Data begone! Not the best thing if you have pictures or documents you want to save.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

In future, sign up for Dropbox and have your photos and docs backup to the cloud.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Edge via AT&T using Tapatalk

mrdinks

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

You can try resetting your secure password via Google Device Manager by logging into your Google account.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3265955?hl=en

Unfortunately, a secure lockscreen means just that: Secure. If you somehow lost fingerprint ID functionality and cannot remember the backup password (which was, after all, a back up should you lose fingerprint ID functionality in the first place), there's no other way to get your device to unlock legally.

Do this it works, it's fast and easy.
I did the same thing a few weeks ago

Posted via the Android Central App

soccermatrix

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Galaxy Note 4, and after 4 weeks of using the fingerprint feature, it stopped working. So now the only way to unlock the device is to use the back up password. The only problem, my wife doesn't remember it. She put her fingerprint and mine, but now I can't help her unlock it. Both our fingerprints are useless because the device is no longer asking for fingerprints, but the back up password. I tried straight up restart, rebooting to the boot menu and then forcing a clean reboot. Nothing brings the fingerprint scanner back. We took a lot of pictures and videos of a family vacations and now it's sad, but Google doesn't give you a way to retreive the password. Google used to have a way to use the email and the password to reset the phone password.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll be the badguy and ask. Why not just use a numerical code to access the phone? Why use the fingerprint option if you THEN forget the backup code? I can NOT fathom why people use the fingerprint option versus a numerical code....

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Because the fingerprint option is cool! I also find it to be quicker in most cases than entering a four-digit PIN. Finally, if someone is looking over your shoulder, the fingerprint option doesn't give the onlooker access to your phone whereas the onlooker could watch you enter your PIN, snatch your phone and then have access to it.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Because the fingerprint option is cool! I also find it to be quicker in most cases than entering a four-digit PIN. Finally, if someone is looking over your shoulder, the fingerprint option doesn't give the onlooker access to your phone whereas the onlooker could watch you enter your PIN, snatch your phone and then have access to it.

Point taken. I'm just not a fan of having my fingerprints saved to my device and it have an internet connection. And if I'm sleep and someone wants access to my phone, just swipe my thumb lol.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Morpheus V

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Why is there always a smart*ss who instantly jumps to the conclusion that the phone was lifted... HOW ANNOYING! Couldn't be faulty android/apple coding... I had this happen on 2* of my samsung devices and I am phreaking pissed. Rebooting the phone doesn't work. Turning off the phone doesn't work. Fingerprint unlock screen is JUST GONE, no rhyme or reason. Getting to the google reset is also a SERIOUS PITA. This to me is what you call a bug, and Samsung REALLY needs to correct the problem. Master reset shouldn't be a 1st option...

Just my $.02
*1st my Galaxy S5 and today, yeah, "the phone is perfect" Galaxy Note Edge...

ladybugt1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

This doesn't work for me. When I try this Google tells me that since the device is already on a lock screen, the password I set up won't be needed.

DeLeah Lockridge

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I started having the same issue last night- my fingerprint scanner disappeared from the lock screen. I do not remember my backup code, and going through the (Google) Android device manager doesn't help either ("Your screen is already locked so a password is not needed").

I have a lot of photos that I do not want to lose. If anyone finds a solution, please post. I've already spent an hour on the phone with Samsung and my cell provider with no luck.

TheSymposium

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, although I don't remember doing an update. I have Sprint, and an OS update did come through OTA a few days ago.

I went to log into my phone, and the fingerprint scanner just wasn't there. Nothing I did was able to bring it up, and the password I thought I had isn't working.

I tried using Android Device Manager to reset it, as some folks have suggested, but when I locked the screen, it told me that it successfully locked the screen, and then that was followed by a brief message that ADM has detected that the screen is already locked so I won't need the new password.

I really don't want to lose the configuration of my phone because I finally got it all organized on the home screens with apps in folders and the like, and I have around 200 apps I have on my phone (it's a royal PITA to re-install them all as I have four devices and not all the apps I have install, and some apps from other devices install, so I have to manually go through and uninstall and then try to remember which apps I wanted to install, blah blah blah).

What's going on here? I'm really disappointed; this is the first issue I've had with the fingerprint scanner and I really like it because (a) I don't use my thumb and (b) it's just a lot quicker to log in than a password or PIN and (c) no one can see the pin/passcode/lock pattern if they're watching me on the phone.

Ugh!:(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hello!
I would try logging into your Google Account on a PC and then go to Android Device Manager (https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager). From there you can setup a new password and GPS/Locate your device.

Also... If you have two step on you may need to remove it before logging in with your Google Account. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.