Going to check out the Note Edge & Note 4 today

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the iPhone 6 plus for about 5 months now(also have a Moto X 2014 for my android fix). It's a great phone for what it is, but having had every Note up to the 4 I just can't let go of missing the S-Pen and all the things the Note can do. Anyway, I am also considering the Note Edge. That side panel looks really useful. I am on Verizon. Just wondering if any of you Edge users had any advice one way or the other. I have watched a ton of videos and read all the reviews. Most are positive for the Edge and it sounds like it comes down to how much value you put on the side panel over just the regular Note 4. Any feedback from those that have used the Edge for a while would be helpful. Do you feel like it was worth the extra cash and not getting updates quite as quickly? Thanks.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I really enjoy the edge display. It means that my home screens are a bit more free since all of my favorite apps are in the edge display. I also like the Samsung camera app as the shutter and most controls/options were moved up to the edge freeing up the main display. I can look at the weather without turning on my phone's display, see any notifications, control music (or any media) playback, etc. I don't think it's essential to the Note experience but I do like it. My fiance has a Note 4 and likes my Note Edge but she still prefers having a traditional, flat display. The Note Edge is a bit thicker than the 4 and the battery isn't quite as big but I can still power through the day and night on a single charge without issues, I'm not bothered by the added thickness, and the Edge display doesn't slow down the performance of the phone compared to the Note 4.

The only negative aspect that I have encountered is a lack of cases. You are pretty much stuck with $10 no-name cases from Amazon/eBay, a case from Verizon that sucks (don't get it), 1-2 other options from 3rd parties that can be pricey, or a rather craptacular flip cover from Samsung (I went with a $30 UAG case). Other than that, I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Note Edge and I hope Samsung releases a Note Edge 2 that keeps the functionality of the edge display (unlike the S6 Edge).

Just some food for thought: the Note Edge is nearing its mid-life cycle (or has already hit it). It was released 5 months ago (unveiled 7 months ago) and odds are high a new/updated version (or at least the Note 5) will be unveiled in another 5 months. If you aren't in an absolute rush, you may want to hold off until Samsung's event in September. My general rule of thumb when buying devices is to get them within the first few months of release and to avoid something if it is within 5-6 months of being updated.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I really enjoy the edge display. It means that my home screens are a bit more free since all of my favorite apps are in the edge display. I also like the Samsung camera app as the shutter and most controls/options were moved up to the edge freeing up the main display. I can look at the weather without turning on my phone's display, see any notifications, control music (or any media) playback, etc. I don't think it's essential to the Note experience but I do like it. My fiance has a Note 4 and likes my Note Edge but she still prefers having a traditional, flat display. The Note Edge is a bit thicker than the 4 and the battery isn't quite as big but I can still power through the day and night on a single charge without issues, I'm not bothered by the added thickness, and the Edge display doesn't slow down the performance of the phone compared to the Note 4.

The only negative aspect that I have encountered is a lack of cases. You are pretty much stuck with $10 no-name cases from Amazon/eBay, a case from Verizon that sucks (don't get it), 1-2 other options from 3rd parties that can be pricey, or a rather craptacular flip cover from Samsung (I went with a $30 UAG case). Other than that, I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Note Edge and I hope Samsung releases a Note Edge 2 that keeps the functionality of the edge display (unlike the S6 Edge).

Just some food for thought: the Note Edge is nearing its mid-life cycle (or has already hit it). It was released 5 months ago (unveiled 7 months ago) and odds are high a new/updated version (or at least the Note 5) will be unveiled in another 5 months. If you aren't in an absolute rush, you may want to hold off until Samsung's event in September. My general rule of thumb when buying devices is to get them within the first few months of release and to avoid something if it is within 5-6 months of being updated.

Thank you. That is some great information. I appreciate it. I am typically the same regarding the release cycle. I am not buying on contract so I will more than likely sell whichever phone I get and upgrade to the Note 5 or Edge 2 around November or December. I don't "need" a new phone. I have done well with the 6 Plus and like it just fine, but it is just a big iPhone. It is lacking some of the features that I like about having a big screen. The S-Pen being #1 followed by true multitasking. The Edge just seems to add one more thing that could be useful. I have never held one before. I know I like the feel of the Note 4. Not sure about the Edge, but that's why I want to go check it out for myself.

I was looking for feedback along the lines of what you gave me so thank you.

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had a Note 4 and Note Edge in the last month. Multitasking works but realistically its useless on a 5.5/7 screen. Doesn't work with all apps anyway. I had problem with apps accidentally opening on the side of the Note 4. Didn't happen on the Edge, i really liked it screen and the edge is nice but not as white and is oversaturated v my IP6. Watching say Netflix the colour is more natural on IP6. The edge battery is only on par or less than my IP6. But battery drain on standby is not good, drop 10% overnight, IP6 0%. Powered it off for 2 days on 100% went dead. Edge is wider and not as easy to hold but a bit shorter. I mainly used it in my office so didn't use a case. If it was my main phone in and out of car and pocket a case would be needed and would make it even wider. Neither were as smooth as my IP6 although the Edge improved a bit on Lollipop. I ended up selling all 3 and have a iPhone 6 Plus 128GB arriving Monday, go figure ;)

Don't but the flip case if you use Nova it makes it crash all the time.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I ended up going with the Note 4. Still getting it all set up. So far so good. Definitely see an improvement from the Note 3. Still have my 6 Plus so I will definitely compare the two.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I ended up going with the Note 4. Still getting it all set up. So far so good. Definitely see an improvement from the Note 3. Still have my 6 Plus so I will definitely compare the two.

What made you decide against the Edge?

Note in my house!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
What made you decide against the Edge?

Note in my house!

I played with the Edge for about 30 minutes. While I thought it could be useful I just wasn't comfortable holding it. Maybe I would adjust but I absolutely loved the way the Note 4 felt. I use a case most of the time and know the selection is better for the 4. In end I just could not justify the extra $100 for something I wasn't sure about.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I played with the Edge for about 30 minutes. While I thought it could be useful I just wasn't comfortable holding it. Maybe I would adjust but I absolutely loved the way the Note 4 felt. I use a case most of the time and know the selection is better for the 4. In end I just could not justify the extra $100 for something I wasn't sure about.

I also prefer the Note 4. And accessories is a big part of that preference. I love my S-view case and there isn't one for the Edge. Now, what the edge provides on the side is comparable, but I like it better on the front of the device with the S-view window.

Note in my house!

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I also prefer the Note 4. And accessories is a big part of that preference. I love my S-view case and there isn't one for the Edge. Now, what the edge provides on the side is comparable, but I like it better on the front of the device with the S-view window.

Note in my house!

I was worried I would miss the S-view window when I switched from the Note to the Edge. After the second day with enjoying the features galore of the Edge panel, I do not think I have wondered about the S-view window again. Just a different perspective.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget to register the Note 4 on the Samsung website. You get a 50% off coupon code good on their website. Since I have a Note 4 and a Note Edge, I bought a battery/charger kit for each phone. I don't really need the extra battery at this time but looking towards the future when the installed battery becomes less capable of holding a full charge and traveling this summer, that extra battery power will be very useful.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I played with the Edge for about 30 minutes. While I thought it could be useful I just wasn't comfortable holding it.

That was my biggest issue when I first picked up a Note Edge. I thought I had to handle it more gently and that I couldn't touch the Edge display at all. I was trying to use it gingerly with two hands and it was uncomfortable. Then the Verizon employee told me to manhandle it. I didn't have to avoid touching the Edge display like I thought (it's really good at ignoring accidental touches), I could still do a lot with one hand, it wasn't near as delicate as I had initially perceived, etc.

It did take some getting used to and it was sort of a gamble on my part. But, since I'm on the Verizon Edge plan, it only costs me an extra $3 a month ($54 total) over the Note 4. I figured I could always take it back if I didn't like the phone within the first two weeks of having it. Both the Note 4 and Edge are excellent phones though, I don't think you can go wrong with either. They have been the first Android phones I have used (I have the Edge, fiance has the 4) that offer buttery smooth performance. My S5 started off that way but Android 5.0.0 ruined it. So far neither of our phones have been totaled by a software update.

I absolutely refuse to ever get an iPhone though, not after what Apple has done with the Apple Watch and their continued stubbornness when it comes to not including a memory card reader. I have nothing against their designs and software but I find it ridiculous that I have to spend $550 on a watch just to match the design and size of mine (black metal watch, black metal band) and that I can't just take out the 128GB card from my current phone and slap it in the new one. I also won't buy any Android phone with a fixed capacity like the S6 and S6 Edge.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to register the Note 4 on the Samsung website. You get a 50% off coupon code good on their website. Since I have a Note 4 and a Note Edge, I bought a battery/charger kit for each phone. I don't really need the extra battery at this time but looking towards the future when the installed battery becomes less capable of holding a full charge and traveling this summer, that extra battery power will be very useful.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually did register. They sent me a 30% Off coupon. What's up with that? I've been buying since the S3 and always had 50% Off coupons.

Sent from my Note 4

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder. I actually did register. They sent me a 30% Off coupon. What's up with that? I've been buying since the S3 and always had 50% Off coupons.

Sent from my Note 4

Wow. I had no idea they would reduce the amount of the discount. Maybe it's because the phone is several months old now? I don't know. I hope you enjoy using the phone regardless.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I had no idea they would reduce the amount of the discount. Maybe it's because the phone is several months old now? I don't know. I hope you enjoy using the phone regardless.

Thanks. It's awesome. Everything I loved about the Note 3 only better. I'll be picking up the extra battery and charger though. I have always liked having that. Not that I need it. It's more of a nice to have kind of thing.

Sent from my Note 4

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
This seems to be a good thread to add my question. Would you guys go ahead and get the Note 4 Edge or try to eek out a phone until a maybe release of Note 5 Edge? My Droid DNA within the last two weeks has lost battery longevity I have to almost keep it on a charger...almost. I wanted a 64 bit phone next but....see my dilemma?

I would be buying any phone outright. I was kinda gauging between the M9 and N4E...but the M9 is a huge flop in my book... :-(

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be a good thread to add my question. Would you guys go ahead and get the Note 4 Edge or try to eek out a phone until a maybe release of Note 5 Edge? My Droid DNA within the last two weeks has lost battery longevity I have to almost keep it on a charger...almost. I wanted a 64 bit phone next but....see my dilemma?

I would be buying any phone outright. I was kinda gauging between the M9 and N4E...but the M9 is a huge flop in my book... :-(

If you need a phone now you can't go wrong with the 4 or the Edge. It's realistically 6 more months until a new Note is released. September announcement probably and October release if they keep the pattern. My only thought with the Edge would be wondering what they will do with the second generation. I had the M8 and it was a good phone but it's not in the same class as the Note in my opinion. The M9 is not that much different from what I have read.

Sent from my Note 4

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree, the Note and M9 are way different. However I have had nothing but HTC which had me kinda wanting the M9...however my phone wont last if I enable wireless or cell data. I have not downloaded a new app in a long time. And the M9 is a rehash of the M8...

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Well, if you are buying it outright, I would wait. Buy a $20 battery pack off of Amazon for your Droid DNA to get you through. My general rule of thumb is to wait if a device is 6 months (or less) from being updated. Right now both the Note 4 and Edge are about 5 months from being updated or at least having their updates announced. Both phones will be good even after the Note 5 and possible Note Edge 2 come out but, since you will be plopping down the full amount on your phone, you will get the most out of your money if you wait. I would say go for it if you were on the Verizon Edge plan but I could never spend $800+ on a phone knowing that a new model (or announcement) is only 5 months away.

This is a bit of a digression but I was in a similar situation previously. Three years ago my Moto X's display wan't properly working. Only 2/3rd of the pixels actually worked so I had to turn the phone on its side just to read a text message. I could have just upgraded to the Moto X 2 but I was 5 months away from the iPhone 5 announcement. I decided to wait and was better for it in the end. Same with my iPhone 5. By the time I had hit the end of my two year contract with it, my iPhone's battery would maybe last for 8 hours during the day before requiring a recharge. I could have gone with the Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5S but I waited until the Galaxy S5 and, for the most part, I was better for it. Now I could really care less because I'm on the Verizon Edge plan. I paid an extra $50 to go from my S6 to my Note Edge and I will owe about $150 by this Fall when the Note 5/Edge 2 comes out so I can just pay that if I really wanted to.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
That's a great idea on getting a power brick to tote along with me. That makes a lot of sense really in my mind. It allows me to limp along until the next releases drop. Granted Verizon didn't get the edge until February...but that's another story for another day.

Thanks for the idea!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Going to check out the Note Edge & Note 4 today

My general rule of thumb when buying devices is to get them within the first few months of release and to avoid something if it is within 5-6 months of being updated.

Had to giggle. I'm so far sticking to my 3 year old'ish promise to myself and my wallet to never buy new *at full price* again. I did that with my Note 2 and regretted spending the money when I really *can* wait if I work on my patience until a phone is on its way out and pick up a good sale, coupon, code etc or hit Swappa.