The Edge Panel now has the option to display messages simultaneously when main screen is on?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note Edge when it was released, but came back to my Note 4. I am wondering if the NE has finally made it possible to have the Edge Panel on the whole time while we multitask with web browsing, streaming videos, etc? It would be cool and useful like watching CNN on TV, with the news headlines going across. Or our incoming text messages going across when we're streaming a video.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note Edge when it was released, but came back to my Note 4. I am wondering if the NE has finally made it possible to have the Edge Panel on the whole time while we multitask with web browsing, streaming videos, etc? It would be cool and useful like watching CNN on TV, with the news headlines going across. Or our incoming text messages going across when we're streaming a video.
I'm not sure that you can do this. The panel may be linked to the current app or service in use and might be limited in function.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure that you can do this. The panel may be linked to the current app or service in use and might be limited in function.
Thanks for reply. Do you think a future update is possible? I really like the idea of the Edge Panel, and would hope the potential is there for improvements.

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I do not think that is going to be one of them. As battery drain is always a concern, an always or mostly on Edge bar sounds like a likely draining feature as well as all of the options of apps that one might employ.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I do not think that is going to be one of them. As battery drain is always a concern, an always or mostly on Edge bar sounds like a likely draining feature as well as all of the options of apps that one might employ.

I was thinking of the draining battery issue too, but I think the benefit may outweigh it. The feature would only work if the main screen is on, with the idea of setting news feeds or breaking news in 10-60 minute increments. And selected notifications such as text messages as they come in, without the need to open the text app or even touch the Edge Panel. This feature would be optional, cuz I am sure some users may find it unnecessary and causes battery drain.

I was hoping the NE would eventually have this feature, and really make great use of its Edge Panel. As it stands, unless I am wrong, we still need to touch the Edge Panel to activate reading text messages but we need to get out of the main screen to do so? News feed is similarly limited too, correct? Since multiwindow/multitask feature was introduced in the original Note or N2, I am hoping this feature may eventually be possible.

Last edited:

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
That said, the odds are quite low this would ever fly. Look at clocks/alarms with a night display-To keep an alarm going for extended periods during night sleep, most often one must plug in their phone to AC power. If not plugged in, with clock/alarm backgrounds at the dimmest possible and display as low as one can see to keep bedroom light levels almost undisturbed, there is a major drain on battery. I'd find my phone drained if not plugged in unless I fully charged it before sleep. With the amount of display on time and processes you are hoping for, because don't forget, it is a desperate display, this has big time drain written all over it.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
That said, the odds are quite low this would ever fly. Look at clocks/alarms with a night display-To keep an alarm going for extended periods during night sleep, most often one must plug in their phone to AC power. If not plugged in, with clock/alarm backgrounds at the dimmest possible and display as low as one can see to keep bedroom light levels almost undisturbed, there is a major drain on battery. I'd find my phone drained if not plugged in unless I fully charged it before sleep. With the amount of display on time and processes you are hoping for, because don't forget, it is a desperate display, this has big time drain written all over it.

Great further explanation on the battery issue. I wonder though if the same concern was ever the same for the multiwindow/multitask feature, and especially now that 5 apps can work concurrently. In any case, hopefully battery tech would be better in the near future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance