Verizon Stagefright Update

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, Verizon is rolling out the Stagefright security update. Here's my question. I haven't updated to Lollipop yet, because of the reported glitches and iffy performance on the Verizon Note Edge. Will downloading the security update download the Lollipop update too, since that keeps popping up, or is this security update separate from the Lollipop one?

Posted From my Verizon Galaxy Note Edge via the Android Central App. And Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you still on Kitkat?

I'm on KK so I've been waiting to see if anyone tries the Security update. I too am wondering if LP will try to sneak in. I actually have OTA and Knox blocked so my phone doesn't get any LP updates.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you still on Kitkat?

I'm on KK so I've been waiting to see if anyone tries the Security update. I too am wondering if LP will try to sneak in. I actually have OTA and Knox blocked so my phone doesn't get any LP updates.

Yup! Still on KitKat. I've read some issues with 5.0.1, so I have held off updating until I see what 5.1.1. corrects.

Posted From my Verizon Galaxy Note Edge via the Android Central App. And Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will "force" install LP after so many refusals. It might be best to block OTA if you want to stay on KK.

Read through these threads at XDA...

Block OTA and KNOX
[GUIDE] Disable Knox and the OTA without roo… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

Update to LP "safely"... enables you to update via ODIN to LP and be able to revert back to KK
[Firmware] [LP] [5.0.1] [RetEd/DevEd] Safe U… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

Please read the entire threads so everything is clear. If not clear, ask questions in XDA. Also note that even though you're refusing the update, it's possible LP is already downloaded onto your phone, just not installed. If so, it's highly likely LP is residing in your cache partition. After blocking OTA and KNOX, it might be good to wipe the cache partition in recovery.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
What is Stagefright?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

"Stagefright" is the nickname given to a potential exploit that lives fairly deep inside the Android operating system itself. The gist is that a video sent via MMS (text message) could be theoretically used as an avenue of attack through the libStageFright mechanism (thus the "Stagefright" name), which helps Android process video files. Many text messaging apps — Google's Hangouts app was specifically mentioned — automatically process that video so it's ready for viewing as soon as you open the message, and so the attack theoretically could happen without you even knowing it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It's my understanding that Stagefright is a Lollipop only issue. Not sure I'd worry about it if you're still running Kitkat.
Stagefright has been around since Froyo. Any OS newer than Froyo is affected.

No one has been hit by it because it takes a certain kind of methodology to be implemented. I'm glad Google and carriers are taking action though. The scare is as big as Heartbleed.

88dale88jrfan

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know (which ain't much) , the security update is separate. When I got lollipop update notification I kept putting it off. So a week or so later I downloaded it. And when I got through, another box popped up saying there was a security update

Posted via the Android Central App

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know (which ain't much) , the security update is separate. When I got lollipop update notification I kept putting it off. So a week or so later I downloaded it. And when I got through, another box popped up saying there was a security update

Posted via the Android Central App

I had to get a new replacement Note Edge phone since my other Note Edge died on me. After I got the new phone sent to me, I noticed it had Lollipop preloaded on it. Literally 10 minutes after I activated the phone, the Stagefright security update prompt showed up.

Posted From my Verizon Galaxy Note Edge via the Android Central App... And Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2