Scrollbar issues in Samsung Android 6

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon Note 4 Edge finally got the Marshmallow update a few days ago. I posted some questions about a variety of features that seem different from what it's supposed to be here. But I also have a problem about scrollbars, which show up as thick gray lines on the right side of the screen in scrollable pages. Basically, they don't work anymore. In most apps, I used to be able to grab them with my S-Pen or finger and they'd turn blue and let me scroll rapidly down or up. After the update to Android 6, nothing happens at all. So far, only one app (which hasn't been updated in awhile) has a functioning scrollbar. Is this a Samsung thing? Or a Verizon thing? Or are my expectations for good functions continuing to work just too high? :p

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you cleared your cache partition or done a factory reset since updating your software? I hadn't heard of this bug.
Thanks for the response. I haven't done either. I think a reset might be more than I want to do -- that would mean reinstalling all apps, right? I found the following instructions online for clearing the cache partition. Is this right for this phone and OS? (Sorry to be such a noob, but, I don't want to toast anything I don't need to toast.)
  1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    • Volume Up key
    • Home key
    • Power key.
  3. When the phone vibrates, release the Power and Home key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key. This step may take several seconds.
  4. When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up keys.
  5. Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, did the cache wipe. Bit of a heart-pounder when the Android guy appeared with the message "Installing system update," and then after a minute the Android guy keeled over dead with a message about something not being present. But after that it proceeded as in the above instructions.

But it didn't work. I've checked several apps that used to have functioning scrollbars, and none of them does now, except that one that hasn't been updated in a long time.

I'd like to ask whether others who've upgraded to Android 6 on this or similar devices have working scrollbars. Maybe nobody but me uses them very much; but if anyone could test and see, that would be great.

As to a factory reset, too much pain for too little gain in this case. I'll learn to live without the scrollbar if I need to.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks; sorry for the delay. Dear old Verizon in the U.S. has been known to pull incomprehensible stunts with updates, so perhaps that's it. At any rate, I am learning to live without functioning scrollbars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool