Password required upon reboot

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Any way to get rid of this and just use the fingerprint scanner like we could in 5.0? Having to type in the password is inconvenient given how often this thing likes to soft reboot. I've already been through my security settings and couldn't find a way to change this.

Thank you.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Basically, since everything is encrypted in MM, the password is required to unlock the phone so that the fingerprints stored on the device can then be accessed. Someone else may have a better explanation but this is basically why.

Tim_Canada

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
The problem with this that I have, is that there is ALSO an option provided to CHANGE the password. Essentially, for both of my devices, 6.0.x appears to have set things up so that rebooting the device just wipes ALL security.

Will this be fixed?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought encrypting the entire phone was an option. I've seen the menu item for this in my settings.

This is optional, if it is done be default, there is something else going on. This shouldn't be required unless you have a device policy (such as work accounts) that require it. I know that my work does if you use the default email app for corporate mail, otherwise, they recommend Nine or some other client that has advanced device administration and security.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The reason I asked is the previous post that said the password is required on first boot because the phone is encrypted in 6.0.

As long as the phone is using fingerprints to unlock, I believe the password is always required. I was using my S7 Edge with no security at all this past week and I didn't need to enter a passcode after rebooting.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It still seems redundant. I wouldn't care if my phone didn't insist on soft rebooting about once per day.

I understand. I disabled it for a week to try it out. It was more convenient being able to just swipe the screen to unlock but then the phone would keep coming on in my pocket wasting the battery. I renabled the fingerprints again after this happened too many times last night.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh. I wanted to keep the fingerprints but not have the password requirement on first boot. Doesn't look like there's a way to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2