Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB 3.0 Cable

Is there any advantage to using the included USB 3.0 cable vs. a old USB cable (I assume 2.0) when plugging into a wall charger? I understand the 3.0 cable provides better charging when plugging into a USB port on a computer, but my understanding is that this just makes it similar to using a wall charger. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Default Re: USB 3.0 Cable

We were just having this talk somewhere else on the forum.

Apparently it seems that they charge at the same rate when plugged it. I think it charges faster, but it could just be what I am comparing it to (Note 3 vs Note 2) and the newer hardware.

Plugged into the computer of course you want to use the 3.0 if you have a port. Both for the faster charging and the increased data rate.

I think, for charging, you need to use the adapter and cable that came with it because it requires 5.2 amps vs 5.0 (the standard) so any other charger/cable combinations either don't charge at all or do so exceptionally slow and only when it's not in use. I went by Best Buy today to play with one and it wouldn't work and they said it hadn't since it ran down once it was put out. I looked and they had a standard micro usb plug in and I bet it was only doing 5.0 or less and wouldn't charge back up.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsa#AC View Post
    Is there any advantage to using the included USB 3.0 cable vs. a old USB cable (I assume 2.0) when plugging into a wall charger? I understand the 3.0 cable provides better charging when plugging into a USB port on a computer, but my understanding is that this just makes it similar to using a wall charger. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
    No advantage at all when plugged into a power supply, make sure you use a high quality cable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerplaygraphix View Post
    I think, for charging, you need to use the adapter and cable that came with it because it requires 5.2 amps vs 5.0 (the standard) so any other charger/cable combinations either don't charge at all or do so exceptionally slow and only when it's not in use. I went by Best Buy today to play with one and it wouldn't work and they said it hadn't since it ran down once it was put out. I looked and they had a standard micro usb plug in and I bet it was only doing 5.0 or less and wouldn't charge back up.
    Not totally true, any QUALITY micro usb power supply and cable will work fine, yes, charging times will vary depending on the amp rating of the power supply, for quick charging you should use a 2 amp+ power supply, but, with the exception of speed, lower powered power supplies will work just fine. And charging at a lower rate is actually easier on the battery, now, if you are using it while charging, browsing, playing games, streaming music, updating apps etc. you should use a higher powered supply, I use a BB quick charger all the time, and there is 0 difference in charging time between it and the supplied power supply, with an older Motorola power supply, it takes about 8 hours from 15% to full.