Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By muzzy996
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you use another launcher?

Or have you stuck with touchwiz?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Default Re: Do you use another launcher?

i've never been able to use touchwiz or sense ui for very long. Im a big fan of both Apex launcher and Nova Launcher. Ive played with a good amount of different launchers and I always go back to Apex or Nova.

I try to use the touchwiz , but I still use Nova more . Touch wiz is a good launcher. Better than Some I have tried, but I still like Nova launcher best, .

This is the first Samsung tablet so far that I am completely satisfied using Touchwiz on. Every one until now had too much lag and so I quickly jumped ship to Apex or Nova but I tried Touchwiz on here and have felt no reason to swap, even though the others do give you more options.

I've always switched to Nova or as is the case with my Note 3, been happy with the Google experience launcher. Keeping in mind I've used many, those two are just my favorite so far.

However, with this note pro 12.2, I'm quite happy with the new UX launcher. It's one of the selling points for me. I like where they're going with the tiles and such. The last thing I wanted was a bunch of boring icons on this awesome screen.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I am in the minority who actually likes tw. However, I do use Nova on my note3 to achieve landscape home pages while mirroring my phone to the radio in my truck. Between the 12.2, and the note3, I have zero lag finally. 2014 edition still has lag.....on 4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by jackwagon06 View Post
    I am in the minority who actually likes tw. However, I do use Nova on my note3 to achieve landscape home pages while mirroring my phone to the radio in my truck. Between the 12.2, and the note3, I have zero lag finally. 2014 edition still has lag.....on 4.3.
    I wouldn't say minority so far in this thread as 5 have spoken and 3 of us are using TW.

Lol, yes you are correct, in this thread. Usually tw fans get hammered, thus my statement.

Sent from the Note3, or the big ol' 12.2 PRO

To all that like touchwiz, more power to you. I like the concept behind the tiles, but without the ability to add facebook, gmail, and my own flipboard feeds, it's useless to me personally. Maybe I'll visit again if and when it ever gets updated to include more information. I'm a fan of Nova because it allows me to completely change the way the home screen looks and allows me to utilize the extra space this tablet affords by adding more column and rows and resizing every widget I add. I've yet to use a manufacturers launcher that allows the kind of customization that a third party launcher does. I'm a tinkerer and Nova allows me the freedom to do so.

Sent from my SM-P900 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by miamiborn79 View Post
    To all that like touchwiz, more power to you. I like the concept behind the tiles, but without the ability to add facebook, gmail, and my own flipboard feeds, it's useless to me personally. Maybe I'll visit again if and when it ever gets updated to include more information. I'm a fan of Nova because it allows me to completely change the way the home screen looks and allows me to utilize the extra space this tablet affords by adding more column and rows and resizing every widget I add. I've yet to use a manufacturers launcher that allows the kind of customization that a third party launcher does. I'm a tinkerer and Nova allows me the freedom to do so.

You bring out valid points with the screen size of this tablet. Besides the tiles(magazine UX, dont really care for it currently) I have previously used S Planner widget, which I like very much. This tab doesnt have it......therefore, I can ditch it as well in favor of Nova. For me, though, TW on the phones is great. Within the recent phone calls, to just be able to swipe left or right for message/call is great. I may actually play with Nova and see how I like it......on the tab

I'm not pig headed. I'm back on Nova too!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeylittle777 View Post
    I'm not pig headed. I'm back on Nova too!
    Ha nice! Great to have choices

I have Nova on my Note 3 too and can still swipe left and right within the call log to message and call. Most touchwiz functions still work, it just changes the home screens and app drawer (and minus a widget or two).

I use nova on my note 3. I'm wondering if there's a way to swap the options menu and multitasking buttons on nova. Like they are going to have with the s5. I don't access my settings that much.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by miamiborn79 View Post
    I have Nova on my Note 3 too and can still swipe left and right within the call log to message and call. Most touchwiz functions still work, it just changes the home screens and app drawer (and minus a widget or two).

Yes, correct. On my note 3, I utilize the splanner widger which isnt available with nova/apex , launcher. 12.2 doesnt have it for some reason anyway, so I can use it there for sure. Just like symmetry between both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsucrazy View Post
    I use nova on my note 3. I'm wondering if there's a way to swap the options menu and multitasking buttons on nova. Like they are going to have with the s5. I don't access my settings that much.

Maybe nova prime? If your into rooting, exposed would probably have a module to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jackwagon06 View Post
    Maybe nova prime? If your into rooting, exposed would probably have a module to do so.

I havnt gotten into rooting, it doesn't bother me that much, would just make a lot more sense.

I have used many launchers, but really like lightning launcher, it is completely customizable. I have mine set up where it looks like I have 3 rows of 3 home screens. I can swipe up for down left right or angled.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I'm using the Google Experience launcher. It's available on the play store for Nexus devices but everything else (including the Note pro) require the download of the apk and a sideload. My experience with this launcher so far is positive. The pro seems a bit snappier and the quick access to google search is a nice perk.

If interested, you can follow the instructions for installing this at the following URL: Here’s how to get the Google Now Launcher on any Android phone or tablet | TalkAndroid.com

It's good to have options...

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I use the “Next” launcher. It was a little pricey (I think after trying the free version) I paid around $15.
    I use it on my Note 2, ASUS Transformer, and now my 12.2.

I really like the way it displays, the control I have over the entire screen, and the “dock” area at the bottom of the screen. I can have up to seven rotating separate docks at the bottom, and I believe I can populate up to seven icons per dock.

Try the free version first.

Quote Originally Posted by irememberyou View Post
    Still don't understand what's so bad with touchwiz.
    Boils down to personal preference on features. Stock launcher has limitations on use of parts of the screen due to low icon density and very large margins. Some launchers allow complete control over widget sizes so you're not stuck with the standard size the widget came in. Some also provide gesture support in addition to support of custom icon packs.

For example on mine right now I've got a grid of 7x8 with no margins using Nova. I've also rooted and adjusted LCD density per app to reduce icon size just a little on the home screen.

I have gestures setup on key application icons, for example a swipe up on my dropbox icon gets me directly into a preferred folder as does a swipe up in my file manager. Swipe down in any margin between icons gets me notifications tray so I don't have to go to the top bar, swipe up gets app drawer. Nova supports multiple gestures including double finger up or down swipes, two finger pinching in/out and two finger rotation clockwise/counter clockwise as well as single finger double tap.

Not everyone likes desktop clutter like I have but I like having just about everything on one screen so I'm not jumping around to others with multiple taps or swipes. It's nice to have choices!

Do you use another launcher?-desktop2.jpg
    mickeylittle777 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by irememberyou View Post
    Still don't understand what's so bad with touchwiz.
    Nothing is "wrong" with Touchwiz and some people may be perfectly happy with it. But one of the things that makes Android the best OS is that it allows you to change the look as you please. Many things are able to be changed without rooting such as launchers, icons, etc... Some people love to maximize the screen by jamming as much in as possible, and others are perfectly fine with the tile layout. We have choices out of the box, which is great for those of us that have no interest in rooting. Hell, we paid enough money for these machines, we should be able to tweak them as we please!