Can't do software update on my new Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

dragonporky

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Tried to check for a software notification on my newly bought note pro 12.2. Had a popup window saying my "devise has been modified. Software updates are not available". Anyone got similar problems or know anything about this? I definitely didn't do anything unusual to my devise and I know nothing about rooting.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't do software update on my new note pro 12.2

Tried to check for a software notification on my newly bought note pro 12.2. Had a popup window saying my "devise has been modified. Software updates are not available". Anyone got similar problems or know anything about this? I definitely didn't do anything unusual to my devise and I know nothing about rooting.

Can you take a screen shot of about device and post? If you know how to get into odin mode, we can see if it is modified there as well. To do this, power down. Then, holding volume down and power button, it will prompt you to continue or cancel. Continue(vol up), and a little android dude will show on screen and say"do not turn off acquiring target" or something close to that. Up in the left hand corner it will tell you the status of your device, including knox counter. Then after getting the info, just power down again, and it will restart.

My guess is somebody bought it and tampered, then returned, or you have a bum unit. Post your findings, with or without a pic if possible. Good luck!

dragonporky

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi thanks much for your reply. My devise though can't have been tempered as I bought this from a reputable IT store in Singapore and on launch date itself (22 Feb).
Also... How do I post a pic here.. (sorry daft question but i'm completely new here)

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Hi thanks much for your reply. My devise though can't have been tempered as I bought this from a reputable IT store in Singapore and on launch date itself (22 Feb).
Also... How do I post a pic here.. (sorry daft question but i'm completely new here)

No worries, and welcome to the fun. The first question, I suppose, would be to ask how you are accessing the forum? If you are using a pc- the reply area where you type will have the option. I see you are using the app from your signature. I dont think you can post a pic in that format. Also the app tapatalk will allow it too. If you can just report on what you show on screen that would be good. 2014-02-25 10.06.23.jpg

dragonporky

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi sorry I took a couple of days to revert. Found time at last yday and took my device down to Samsung service and they confirmed it isn't rooted. I know for a fact mine isn't the only one with this problem. Their engineers are looking into it now. Until then got to sit and wait

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Hi sorry I took a couple of days to revert. Found time at last yday and took my device down to Samsung service and they confirmed it isn't rooted. I know for a fact mine isn't the only one with this problem. Their engineers are looking into it now. Until then got to sit and wait

Wow! I wonder if its just in the Singapore market. Im in the states, and havent heard of this here, but maybe its here too. Please report back as to what they find. Very interesting! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

dragonporky

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

I suspect most people won't think of checking for an update with a product that is so new. But yes will definitely post an update when it becomes available. Cheers

raymondtankw

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Hey people,

I just bought the Note Pro 12.2 in Singapore, it has the same issues as describe. Not being able to update because its modified.
I went down to the shop to exchange for another one and it has the exact same issue too.
Guess I have to go down to Samsung Service center to ask them to check it out.
Come on Samsung!

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Was the box sealed with the clear sticker? Maybe they have to modify for that market? I wouldn't see why.....unless you have a lte variant. Is it a wifi only device?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

raymondtankw

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Yes both boxes are sealed with a valid warranty card inside.
Its the LTE version.
I just used Samsung Kies to connect to it to check for updates and it says I have the latest fimware. PDA:NAF / CSC:NA9 / PHONE:NA7 (XSP)
Called Samsung Hotline and they managed to remote login to my Tablet to check things out.
He confirms that the software version are correct but I shouldn't see the messages as shown in pictures attached.

Attachments

• Device Modified.jpg
    Device Modified.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Device Status Custom1.jpg
    Device Status Custom1.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 43

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Thats interesting. Custom from samsung.....but not really. Nothing an update cant fix....if you could. What are they doing for you?

raymondtankw

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

They advise me to go to the service center.
I will go tmr and see what they say.
Surprisingly the hotline guy told me that with this modified message and custom label there as shown in the pics, Samsung may not honor the warranty.
Hopefully they better say otherwise tmr otherwise I will raise hell.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

They advise me to go to the service center.
I will go tmr and see what they say.
Surprisingly the hotline guy told me that with this modified message and custom label there as shown in the pics, Samsung may not honor the warranty.
Hopefully they better say otherwise tmr otherwise I will raise hell.

I dont blame you! Show them this thread too! That your not the only one. We dont have the lte yet in the states. I can use my tab for everything I do for work and play.....may have to upgrade to lte when available. Hopefully that issue will be resolved.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow, let us know how you make out if you can.

raymondtankw

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Went down to Samsung service centre today, the guy who serviced me said that device status custom is due to the local telco customized rom so its ok and my warranty is good.
That sounded strange to me because i own a couple of samsung phone bought from telcos and I have never seen this custom status before. Samsung phones owners can help me check it out.

But when he tried perform the ota update for me, everyone was puzzled by the software is modified message.

When I pressed him further to tell me which telco software is this, they were reluctant to tell me and then after a few minutes to consult his technical support team, he said that its not a telco rom.
It could be a bug in the software.

In the end, my new note pro will have to stay in service centre for 1 or 2 days for investigation.

Will report back when i go back to collect.

I would recommend would be buyers to check their device properly for the symptoms that I have observed before purchasing. Look at my attached pictures in the above post. Because if its a software rom issue which needs to be reloaded then if get one that has the same issues, then u will have to waste time to go down to service centre.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Well, thats not good. I can sympathize with your frustration! If its not a telco rom, what is it? Cant wait to hear what they tell you, and hopefully they are able to resolve the issue.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Any update? You are not alone with this If you read more in the thread.

raymondtankw

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Ok everyone, just got my Note Pro back.

Here is what was confirmed and discussed with one of the Duty Manager at the Marina Square Service Centre.

1) They have reflashed another rom into my note pro and its still has the same issue with custom device status and modified software.

2) Though they say that they have flashed the latest and same rom into my device, I do notice that it is now a Singtel rom as it has some Singtel apps there.
Mine was previously XSP but now its SIN when I look at the Samsung Kies. It is also showing SEPF_SM-P905_4.4.2_0004 for the SE for Android Status. I can't remember what it was in the XSP rom.

3) They have informed me that its a bug and noted on the service report that it is something that they will try to resolve in the next firmware update. I think its their way of saying I cannot solve it now and will need further investigations while not holding on to my device.

4) They informed me that if the software update cannot be done either OTA or through Samsung Kies due to this modified software issue then we will have to bring it back down to the service centre for them to flash it for it. I guess that means its going to be a data wipe of our device. This is going to be very inconvenient!

5) One good thing is that they say that my warranty is still intact as they have other ways to detect if your device has been tampered with. I guess that's where KNOX comes into play. I got them to sign black and white on my service report that its a bug to be resolved in the next update and my warranty is still intact.

6) I have informed them that there are many people with these issues also at the moment with the LTE version and asked if they will have a recall in anyway. I didn't really get a reply on that but I gathered that they are still going to investigate further and hopefully the next firmware update will really fix the bug.

I know this issue might be unimportant to some people but I hope I would have at least helped some confused people out there to clarify that it is now a known bug to Samsung and hopefully they will not start voiding people's warranty next time when people bring their Note Pro 12.2 in for servicing.

Thanks.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Very cool! At least no worries on the warranty. If and when you get an update ota, or kies, I would like to know if it fixes the "bug". Thanks for the reply.....cool to hear of others markets issues, at least we arent the only ones!

dragonporky

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi. SAMSUNG in Spore rang me back agreeing to do a one for one swap when new stock arrives. If I were u.. I would insist on a swap too. I went to the Alexender service ctr. They are aware of the problem. I strongly think a lot of the devices that got shipped in for the launch here arrived with this problem but they are not addressing it properly/ correctly. We do have the lemon law in Singapore and we should not have to put up with this nonsense. Incidentally, I bought mine from a big IT store in Singapore and not any telco. So this is not just a problem with telco sets.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae