Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 128gb Micro SD

Anybody tried the new 128 GB SD cards in the 12.2 Note? Might buy 1, if it works ($100 at Amazon).

Default Re: 128gb Micro SD

I'd wait it out... don't know if the 12.2 Note is affected or not, but KitKat BROKE SD Card support. Non-system apps are not granted write access to the external card (except for media files like pictures or video), so unless you'll use the card only for media storage and external files, you'll just spend a lot of money on a card you won't be able to fully use.
    Thanked by:
    eds817 

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    I'd wait it out... don't know if the 12.2 Note is affected or not, but KitKat BROKE SD Card support. Non-system apps are not granted write access to the external card (except for media files like pictures or video), so unless you'll use the card only for media storage and external files, you'll just spend a lot of money on a card you won't be able to fully use.
    You got that right. For me it's media only period! I wonder if rooting helps break this KitKat bug?

If you're rooted, then there's a simple permission edit (a single line in a configuration file) that you can do to grant non-system apps full write access to the SD card again. Apparently this was the same 'hack' that Samsung included on their phones to allow SD-Card support and app installation, but for some reason they seem to have removed it from their KitKat update.

PS: This behavior is not a bug. It's a conscious, if not popular, decision made by Google and a part of KitKat. Manufacturers, if they choose to, could modify the code to re-enable this, though.

If you're rooted, then there's a simple permission edit (a single line in a configuration file) that you can do to grant non-system apps full write access to the SD card again. Apparently this was the same 'hack' that Samsung included on their phones to allow SD-Card support and app installation, but for some reason they seem to have removed it from their KitKat update.

PS: This behavior is not a bug. It's a conscious, if not popular, decision made by Google and a part of KitKat. Manufacturers, if they choose to, could modify the code to re-enable this, though.
    I believe I read something about this and there are a lot of folks confused about the motives behind Google/Samsung for this other than the Nexus line not coming with a Micro SD slot and this being the direction of the future.... Wouldn't that be ironic to see Android do away with external storage right about the time that Apple grants it! Now that would be turn of events!

Android has been ditching support for SD Cards since JellyBean, taking away something with every iteration. Google has been quite outspoken about not wanting SD cards messing up the experience other than, perhaps, media consumption expansion, which is what they did with KitKat.

Now, Samsung was one of the few manufacturers reluctant to remove full SD Card support, but with the latest Google/Samsung agreements for patent-sharing, this might change as they are now more in line with the 'pure Android' guidelines. Plus, it would be a good selling point for pushing Tizen if they choose to include SD card support in those phones.

I am able to move apps to the SD card

Sent from my SM-P900 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble

hopefully i won't get issues with sd card tonight on my note 3.
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2

Quote Originally Posted by eds817 View Post
    I am able to move apps to the SD card

Sent from my SM-P900 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    That's because the move is initiated from a system app (and if you check correctly, chances are most app data is still on the phone anyway, just as it was ever since App2SD was re-included with Sammy phones). But 3rd party apps have now limited write access to SD cards, crippling some because of how they depended on this permission.

Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    hopefully i won't get issues with sd card tonight on my note 3.
    Worked okay for me on my note 3

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone used the new 128GB micro-SD card on this tablet?

Posted via Android Central App