Samsung Note Pro 12.2: Screen flickering problems

nyrep1

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
just an FYI my flickering issue had made my tablet unusable and caused a full crash several times. non of the above worked, neither did a hard reset. sent the tablet into samsung and just got it back, seems to be all fixed. called samsung to find out what was done and the 1st rep told me the sw was flashed, after probing a little more i was xferd to executive relations and told that an electrical connection between 2 circuit boards was repaired.
i purchased my tablet the 1st day it was on amazon, and i had all the above issues plus the device was getting very hot on the right side when the flickering got bad.

the total turn around from samsung was about 2 weeks.

Andrea Scala

May 14, 2014
Visit site
To fix flickering in video:

Enable developer options in settings (go to about device and tap Build Number 7+ times).

In developer options, under hardware-accelerated rendering, check "turn off hardware overlays". You can also check "force GPU rendering", but I've found the former is all that's necessary.

It seems to works on Tab S too!

Thank you guy

sofien1234

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the problem where it flickers for a few times and then restarts, usually below 60% (it sometimes crashes at 50% and 30-20%), i think it could be skype; when i start a call and my friend shares his screen, the battery starts draining even though the charger is plugged in. maybe there's a bug in the software.

gshimabuko

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Just an update. Turned down the brightness and it seems to have d.stoppedd.stopped. I've seen this behaviour when the power source is not capable of supplying e enough current to the lcd, which gave me the idea... I hope that's not what's happening, cuz it's a bit ridiculous to pay 400 pounds in a device that can barely turn on its own screen...

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. Turned down the brightness and it seems to have d.stoppedd.stopped. I've seen this behaviour when the power source is not capable of supplying e enough current to the lcd, which gave me the idea... I hope that's not what's happening, cuz it's a bit ridiculous to pay 400 pounds in a device that can barely turn on its own screen...

Not all flickering is the same issue . . . some is software, some hardware. If brightness settings and charge state affects yours then it's not software.

For hardware . . here's one thread that talks about a possible fix to try:

[Q] Note pro 12.2 screen flickers - Pg. 6 | Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 | XDA Forums

Ellie Irving

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
To fix flickering in video:

Enable developer options in settings (go to about device and tap Build Number 7+ times).

In developer options, under hardware-accelerated rendering, check "turn off hardware overlays". You can also check "force GPU rendering", but I've found the former is all that's necessary.

I did this and the screen immediately stopped flickering I will have to check back in a couple of days to see if it is still working

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
would this be a good reason to buy a tab s instead of the note pro? Adorama has them refurbished for 429.00, Office Depot has the 10.5 s for 399.00 and 8.4 for 299.00 this week. Want a good tablet that I can take notes on at Church, one of the guys at work who is an engineer said to stick with the Tab S unless I'm going to be doing a lot of drawing, and to get a keyboard and do my note taking that way.

If you prefer your notes in text then plan on a keyboard and go with your gut. Handwriting recognition exists on the Note line but in my opinion can't keep up with the demands of a heavy note taker, particularly when sections of notes need to be moved around in the middle of a session etc. If on the other hand your note taking needs lean towards more diagrams and handwriting is fine then the Note line is great.

Denise Merlino

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Just an FYI to all I returned my note 12.2 pro to best buy and exchange it for a new one due to screen flickering problems I had while watching movies or just reading in general on the web. I had only had it for no longer than three weeks and was experiencing screen flickering. Other than that another great product from samsung. Best buy exchange it with no questions asked. For the same one I had. Hope this helps for people with the same problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Thank u for posting I am having same problem. I bought on line and it is happening three months after buying. I will be contacting Samsung directly.

greenblooded73

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there

Of course I had the same problem (and a google search sent me to this thread).

I just applied the "developer settings" solution and I hope that does it.

One note: Keep in mind that this change in settings will be disabled when you turn off or restart your device and you will have to go over the process again! I just tried it, went to developer options, enabled "Turn Off Hardware overlays", and I already have the power saving mode disabled (I want my device to work at full speed and won't mind plugging it as often as it needs). Then I restarted the tablet and went to check it, and saw that the option was not enabled. Obviously it has to be enabled again after every restart! Fine with me as long as it solves the problem.

I hadn't had the chance to see if this solution will stop the flickering problem, although I highly hope so.

If you hear nothing from me again, it probably means that problem is solved.

Again thanks for the solution mentioned here, I highly hope it works

Nick Michelis

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the flickering problem, as well as the device rebooting when the battery dropped below a particular %.

I took it back to the Samsung Kiosk in Vermont, Melbourne Aust, and 4 days later, I get a call that it is ready to pickup.

The lady mentioned that the motherboard was faulty and they also replaced my battery.

As I purchased locally, I was covered by a Samsung 2 year warranty, and zero cost to repair.

I could not be happier now.

For those that purchased from a local authorised reseller, do yourself a favour, don't waste time on forum sites, and go and drop off your tablet at the closest Samsung repair centre. You can show it flickering, and rebooting to the lady at the counter, like I did, and it was all sweet.....

BTW, make sure you have only low charge on your battery, so you can reproduce the problem on demand.

For those that saved some dollars by getting it online from a non-authorised reseller, I hope you can get it repaired through their third party repair outlets, or return it for an exchange.

This is the exact reason I never purchase expensive goods online. You always take a gamble that nothing will go wrong.

Luke Robson

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Turned my tablet on and screen started flickering for a few seconds then it restarted on its own, and then continued to do the same thing when it started up without even touching it. What's worse is that it then somehow reset the pin passcode I had. It had also forgotten the configured wifi so I couldn't select the 'forgot password' option.

I then did a hard reset but still continued the same. My battery was less than 20% during this. I then charged it up and the problem appears to have stopped.

Having read this forum I intend on taking it to my local seller, as it is under 2 months old.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same flickering but just with internet and Foxfire (only browser I use). I had two other non-Samsung Android devices. Both of them had the exact issue I'm having now. I'd chalked it up to the increasing embedded video on sites these days. If you go to plain sites (few or no portions of the page with action or motion you don't (at least I don't) get the flickering. Case maybe where current GPUs are not optimized for that type of content.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
A permanent fix is re solder the battery connector to motherboard . It has weak solder joints and easily has cracks which can see under microscope or tested by slightly push it to right or left, do this if you are ready and know how to solder, the battery connector will move if you lift or push it slightly, this is the source of flickering problem, common seen in Galaxy Tab or Note Pro 12.2 , two identical models, the only difference is S-Pen added in Galaxy Note.
Don't waste your time to do anything else .

Last edited:

Garlini100

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought one in the last week and it arrived yesterday 12th May 2015, I too saw this problem when the battery had not been charged while I was setting it up. I have set the Force GPU Rendering and so far so good. Also when fully charged it had been working fine through most of the day until it's current state of around 57% when it started flickering constantly.

Brad Andrews

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Screen flickering is the system's way of warning you that your battery is low and it will soon quit working.

Unfortunately, this happens at times when the battery is not really low. I have gotten it anywhere from 20% to 90% of battery power. Forcing a reboot shows an empty battery briefly, before showing the proper battery charge. That convinces me that it thinks the battery is completely gone when it really is not.

Quite annoying.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Screen flickering is the system's way of warning you that your battery is low and it will soon quit working.

Unfortunately, this happens at times when the battery is not really low. I have gotten it anywhere from 20% to 90% of battery power. Forcing a reboot shows an empty battery briefly, before showing the proper battery charge. That convinces me that it thinks the battery is completely gone when it really is not.

Quite annoying.

Actually it's possible that your observation supports post 57's theory.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Actually it's possible that your observation supports post 57's theory.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Actually it's not theory if everyone takes the time to look at the battery connector and inspect its solder joints under magnified glass . The tablet cannot read the battery's capacity correctly if it has a loose or intermittent connection. If I can post picture, you will see clearly what I'm talking about .