S-Pen Wanders Away?

MAK-VA

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I ws showing my new Note Pro off around the office and someone mentioned that there is a setting that makes the screen "go nuts" when the S-Pen gets too far away. So far, I haven't found anything that looks like a "go nuts" :p setting.

So - I thought I'd ask the "font of knowledge" here - is it a setting, or some App that I need? I'd sure like to have some notice if my S-Pen goes for a walk without me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Haha there's not a setting for the screen to 'go nuts', but there is a setting for the tablet to let you know when you're walking away from the S-Pen (only it really doesn't).

So, first things first: The setting is in the S-Pen settings, you should see a switch labeled "S Pen Keeper". Whenever the S-Pen is out of its holster, and you walk away, the tablet will vibrate, emit a sound, and display a pop-up that reminds you to take the pen with you.

Now, why do I say it really doesn't? It doesn't actually KNOW you've left your S-Pen behind. It just knows it's not in its holster and the gyroscope and sensors in the tablet indicate it that you're walking. If you have this setting ON, the tablet will notify you even if you walk with the S-Pen in your hand. But still, it's a nice addition in case you forget to take it with you.

MAK-VA

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the "go nuts" was a quote. Not reflective of the mental state of my tablet (or some sort of cashew-related performance).

Under "S Pen" in settings, I have "General" ["Turn Off Pen Detection," Pointer," and "Direct Pen Input"], "Air View" ["Air View," "Air Command," and "Sound and Haptic Feedback"] and "Pen Detachment" [Pen Detachment options," Pen attach/detach sound" (this one also appears again in "Sound"), and "Attach/detach Vibrate"]. Nothing called "S Pen Keeper." Not under "Developer Options" or "Language and Input" or "Security", either.

Any other thoughts? Is this comething common to some other Samsung tablet?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe "S-Pen Keeper" is only available on the Note series of phones?

I have the Note 10.1 2014, and the Pro 12.2, and S-Pen Keeper setting is not part of either device. However, the setting is on my Note 3.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hummm... I thought it was on the tablet, too... Yeah, I got the option from the Note 3, and I remember it was on the Note 2, I just never thought to check on the tablet... :S

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hummm... I thought it was on the tablet, too... Yeah, I got the option from the Note 3, and I remember it was on the Note 2, I just never thought to check on the tablet... :S

It does seem to be a strange omission? One would think Sammy would have included it as standard on all the Note products. It has really helped me a lot with my phone.

bpeter

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It does seem to be a strange omission? One would think Sammy would have included it as standard on all the Note products. It has really helped me a lot with my phone.

Amen to that - I do have extra S-Pens but that's for convenience; the alert on my GN2 has prevented "loss" quite a few times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03