Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Eye strain/head aches?

I've had the SGNP12.2 for about two weeks now. I really love it, except...using it kills my eyes and gives me headaches. I've used lots of other devices (ipad2, any number of lap tops and monitors, iphone, kindle) and never had this problem before. I've messed with brightness settings, font settings, and downloaded an app that puts different colored filters over the screen, but nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or has an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Eye strain/head aches?

Quote Originally Posted by thelarryw View Post
    I've had the SGNP12.2 for about two weeks now. I really love it, except...using it kills my eyes and gives me headaches. I've used lots of other devices (ipad2, any number of lap tops and monitors, iphone, kindle) and never had this problem before. I've messed with brightness settings, font settings, and downloaded an app that puts different colored filters over the screen, but nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or has an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
    How long does it usually take before you start to notice any symptoms? Does this happen all through the day and night or is it limited to day or night only? Is it possibly app related?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Interesting questions. It's pretty quick to happen. Maybe after 5 minutes. It happens any time of day. It doesn't seem limited to or caused by one app, as it happens no matter what I'm doing. I thought maybe it could be animations, as I know some people report getting sick from the ios7 animations, but it happens even if I'm just looking at a single still page. I'm wondering if there's something different about this display technology than other displays I'm used to. It sucks, because it's the perfect tablet for me. Thanks!

The only other idea that I have is do you have auto brightness on? Maybe one of the autoadjusting features in the settings is causing your screen to constantly adjust ever so slightly that you may not notice it but your eyes are taking a beating from the adjusting? Just a shot in the dark but I'd love to help you solve this... Look also at things like Reading Mode and Adaptive Display or whatever that setting is called.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Interesting... I sit at a computer all day and often spend more time on one at home and get really sore eyes on a regular basis but have not noticed any increase since getting my Note 12.2. In fact my eyes usually start feeling better by the time I get home from work and continue to improve throughout the evening even though I'm glued to my tablet. No difference from the Nexus 10 I replaced. Maybe time to have your eyes check my an eye doctor. Could just be timing and nothing to do with the 12.2 screen....

I'm late to this post, but I recall the first week of the 12.2. My eyes hurt as well, but I thought it was due to having to move my eyes farther across the screen to read text, etc. Now I don't notice any difference. Kinda like exercising muscles. It hurts at first.....There is alot of real estate on this screen. When I look at my 10.1, I feel like it's a phone lol

I usually am drinking while posting here.....sorry
    Sent from the Note3, or the big ol' 12.2 PRO

Just use auto brightness, that's what I have for mine
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

This will sound odd but Samsung tablets/mobiles always hurt my eyes and the only thing different between them that I know of is pentile matrix which I don't think other companies use? The 8.4 doesn't use this I believe so hopefully I'll be ok

Posted via Android Central App

I had really bad eyestrain and headaches during my first few days of using my Note 10.1, as my brightness was turned all the way up. Then I turned it down to halfway, and I still had eyestrain. Now I've turned the brightness to practically zero, and it isn't really a problem anymore.

I know you said you already adjusted the brightness, but maybe you can turn it down all the way, and see it it's any better. And make sure auto-brightness is off.