Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By muzzy996
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pen window giant disappointment

This was one of the big selling features of the pro note, however you soon realize that there are very few programs that you can actually use with split/pen windows.
    Using evernote on the top and browsing for answers on a browser below then cutting and pasting in between them to create notes has been a complete cluster impossible task. Doing it with full open windows also proves to be an extremely clunky process where you screen capture>Crop>dropbox>Evernote>Find where it is in Evernote>create a new note>move it into new note.
    It should be a 3 step process MAX

Default Re: Pen window giant disappointment

I hear you. ..but when you think about it, the program developers use android APIs which inherently do NOT support multiple window operations. Unless Google moves to fully develop for larger screens and multiple window support I doubt we will see any improvement in this area other than what samsung puts together on their own. To this day tablet support seems to be a half-in affair for Google, sure they work but not as well as they could.
    PlanetPluto7 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

After spending more time with this I can clearly see there is no way to easily cut something from your screen/browser then paste it into a document in evernote. You MUST have a connection and use a cloud service to make this work. Pure GARBAGE. Samsung provides you with at least 2 apps which can cut things but the actual pasting part they could give a rats *** about.

Have you looked at some of the evernote clippers on play store? I have not tried any yet, but some seem pretty good.

Sent from my SM-P905V using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They work great on a desktop, not so much on a android. From what i've seen skitcher for android requires you to enter the url of the site which you want to take a screenshot from. Where as it was integrated into the browser on the desktop. Too many steps!

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the clipping functionality of the s-pen by default but you can do this easily without any third party applications out of the box. This is completely independent of multi window support though so I'm not sure how this function is relevant to your original post but in any case here's what you do for copying parts of the screen into evernote (or any other supported app):

1. While viewing content you want to clip into another application take the s-pen and click and hold its button while the tip is away from the screen.
    2. Bring the tip of the s-pen to the screen and continue to hold its button down while drawing a marquee around the area you want to capture.
    3. Once your marquee is complete let go of the s-pen button. A bar at the bottom of the screen will appear that allows you to select an app to share your clip with.
    4. Prior to clicking an app to share your clip with you are allowed the opportunity to modify the marquee but your options are limited so be sure your marquee is large enough to capture what you want.
    5. Tap the app you want to share the clip with and that app should launch. For evernote the clip will be pasted into any note you have open for editing OR it will open a new blank note and paste the clip into it for you.

I use this function a lot with skitch to illustrate things to people and love it. It's the closest thing I can get to Snagit on my desktop.

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

The multiple windows feature was a big reason for my own purchase, and like the OP, I'm kind of disappointed in it, too. I understand the technical reasons for the limitations, but that doesn't reduce the disappointment any.

Still, the rest of the quality of the tablet keeps buyer's remorse at bay. I'm able to get a lot of stuff done that I couldn't with a smaller, less powerful device, particularly with a good keyboard case.

Understandable. With root and using utilities to allow adding of unsupported applications to multiwindow menus things don't necessarily get any easier. The reasons why all applications aren't supported become apparent once one does so as the scaling of elements within the windowed application show various issues such as stretching and font size limitations.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for the tip! I am enjoying the tablet much more with this feature!
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
    I'm not sure if you are familiar with the clipping functionality of the s-pen by default but you can do this easily without any third party applications out of the box. This is completely independent of multi window support though so I'm not sure how this function is relevant to your original post but in any case here's what you do for copying parts of the screen into evernote (or any other supported app):

1. While viewing content you want to clip into another application take the s-pen and click and hold its button while the tip is away from the screen.
    2. Bring the tip of the s-pen to the screen and continue to hold its button down while drawing a marquee around the area you want to capture.
    3. Once your marquee is complete let go of the s-pen button. A bar at the bottom of the screen will appear that allows you to select an app to share your clip with.
    4. Prior to clicking an app to share your clip with you are allowed the opportunity to modify the marquee but your options are limited so be sure your marquee is large enough to capture what you want.
    5. Tap the app you want to share the clip with and that app should launch. For evernote the clip will be pasted into any note you have open for editing OR it will open a new blank note and paste the clip into it for you.

I use this function a lot with skitch to illustrate things to people and love it. It's the closest thing I can get to Snagit on my desktop.

Hope this helps.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

What is abit strange tho is that when i circle a very small area and put it into lecturenotes it becomes like 5x the size and i can't shrink it down any further. Yet if I make the circle bigger it will be nice and small and allow me to enlarge it.... wtf?

You know when you mention it I recall that happening to me too. It then adds a step in between since you'd have to save it to gallery using some other application and then resize it before bringing it into your document. Bummer .. .

Still .. . definitely nifty to be able to take snippets of the screen to begin with!