Snp12.2 equal to and better than....

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Lecturenotes has not been updated to work with Kitkat yet and cannot right to the SD card. So it has to save to internal memory. To change the storage location in LN, it is in settings under storage and then choose custom and put in the path where you would like the files stored.

You have to manually type in the path. You need to backup your notebooks board and then copy it to the new directory along with all files in the original directory. Once changed to new directory, then choose restore notebooks board.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1401039718333.jpg
    1401039718333.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1401039750083.jpg
    1401039750083.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 1401039778343.jpg
    1401039778343.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 1401039810334.jpg
    1401039810334.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 15

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
You are spot on, what I am doing is taking the backupboard.zip to a flash drive then copying that onto my extmemorycard because even file manager outside of LN will not let me copy onto it... So i have to do it on a laptop...
Once I restore it from the location of the ext storage card I will still have the problem of .... anything I add to lecturenotes be it a scribble of a new pdf will not be able to be written onto my external memory which doesn't help me free up space :( Am I correct? Or will it be able to save onto the card.

Ironically as I am using my laptop to force the zip file to be transfered I now cannot access LN on my tablet because it thinks it's on the SD card LOL..... face palm.

Last edited:

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I use ES File Explorer which has been updated to work with Kitkat. I have been using ES for a while on kitkat to copy and delete without a problem. Yes you are correct about not being able to write to the SD card from LN. I emailed the developers to ask when they would be updating the app to work with Kitkat. Kitkat is more secure with respect to how it allows apps to interact with the file system and as a result most apps have to be updated in order to write to the SD card. Several have been updated already and work fine, but LN is one that has yet to be updated. It happened on my note 3 as well when it updated to Kitkat last week. I opened a file from LN and it popped up a warning about not being able to write to the SD card. Hopefully if enough people contact the developers, they will get on the ball and fix it.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Quick response from the developer. This is what they said and basically of you use the $ character, you can use the SD card, but the Pdf import will fail unless you are on the internal memory. So looks like we are stuck for now with LN using internal memory if we want to have pdf import and markup:

Dear Sir,

many thanks for your email, I am sorry to hear about the problem.

Google has revised access to external SD card in Android 4.4 (KITKAT) (for
instance, see
http://beranger.org/2014/01/30/how-kitkat-4-4-killed-android-and-google-keeps-screwing-things/
or a more technical description
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...at-and-even-samsung-may-be-implementing-them/),
apps can no longer freely access it despite requesting the `write storage?
permission.

You can use the external SD card as LectureNotes' app directory if you set
it to ${EXTSDCARD}/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files (where
${EXTSDCARD} is the path of the external SD card on your device), which is
the only directory that LectureNotes can write on the external SD card in
Android 4.4 (KITKAT).

Note that doing so currently causes the problem that PDF import does not
work, as PDFView writes the converted PDF pages into LectureNotes' app
directory, which fails on the external SD card in Android 4.4 (KITKAT). I
am currently working on an update which will circumvent this problem, the
release is scheduled for end of May.

I guess the only working solution for the time being is to set
LectureNotes' app directory to the internal SD card (if your devices is not
rooted; if your device is rooted, you can restore the pre-KIKTKAT
behavior).

Best regards,
Markus Porto

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Ouch guess i'll wait. In the mean time it says that I have 15g in docs... I find that hard to believe. Is there an easy way to see where those 15g's are located so I can figure out if it's from multiple backups of LN or some duplication to free up some space?

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
If you download es file Explorer from the play store, then long click on a folder and at the bottom click more then properties and it will tell you the size kind of like on a Windows system.

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes I can do that too with my files, there is a button on the top right hand corner that shows how the memory is being used and it shows a few in video with the majority in documents i'd like to track down where the 15g's of documents are. Simply looking at properties of a folder might not be the fastest way but i'll try it.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah not sure on that one, unless you copy the folder to the SD card and stick the SD card in a pc.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Just heard back from the developer of LN and looks like the app update for LN and pdfviewer will now write to the SD card. This is what they sent to me.

Dear Sir,

a quick follow-up of our recent email exchange: I just uploaded v2.5 of
LectureNotes and v1.6 of PDFView into the app stores. With these new
versions, you can use the external SD card as LectureNotes' app directory
if you set it to ${EXTSDCARD}/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files
(where ${EXTSDCARD} is the path of the external SD card on your device),
which is the only directory that LectureNotes can write on the external SD
card in Android 4.4 (KITKAT); PDF import will work with this configuration
as well.

Best regards,
Markus Porto

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Did the new update unfortunately now I can't find the notebooksbackupboard.zip file anymore no matter how many times I back it up. It takes far too long to upload to dropbox and I just want a fast easy way to thumb drive it but I can't find the bloody file anymore!

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@Grimgrak: Is there any error message during creation of the backup file?

I guess the easiest way to find the backup file is to use the `find file by name? function of your file manager app. I recommend to search for `*.zip? to avoid misspelling.

The ZIP files (including the backup file) go to the ZIP directory, which is either a custom one or the app directory. The app directory is either a custom one or the the default one.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
My notebooks board was zipped to my selected folder that I selected. That is odd that you can't find it there.