Did KitKat Break Access To Micro Cards?

Solid_Droid

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a SanDisc 64gb card, which worked perfectly fine my Note 2, but there seems to be a conflict going on. When I tried the card in the Note Pro , while installing DeadTrigger I get an error saying "Couldn't install on SD card because it's locked" or something like that. I remove the card and it installs. I insert the card in again, same error. I format the card again the same thing happens. Seems like if the card is in it takes the place of the internal drive but it's locked.

Can someone tell me what's going on here.

Thanks...

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
But it allows movies from the play store be down loaded to the sd card now. I'm going to need a bigger card and 128gb support

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Some 128 sd cards can be used in the12.2 according to a samsung traveling rep I talked to. Some brands will not work. He did mention the sandisk one works. I have yet to load a card to mine because I don't any larger ones so can't back up this info with personal experience.

Solid_Droid

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I have a SanDisc 128gb and my Note Pro gets the "Permission denied to sd card" error. What really pisses me off Samsung customer service is clueless too.
I have one in my Note 2 and it works just fine but it's not running KitKat. It's not deal breaker but I have 29gb of music and it would nice to have access to it.
Oh we. :(

Thnx all...

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Is there a difference between SDHC and SDXC cards? It is my understanding that one works better over the other but can't remember which one he talked about! Sorry. I am interested in getting the right one two for my movie addiction!

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Is there a difference between SDHC and SDXC cards? It is my understanding that one works better over the other but can't remember which one he talked about! Sorry. I am interested in getting the right one two for my movie addiction!
I posted this in another thread. Bottom line, get a cheap class 10 card and not a UHS-1 80+mbs one as it appears the Note Pro does not support UHS-1.

I tried benchmarks on both the Note and a PC as well as copying a 1 gig file over USB3 to both a card reader and the Note. As you can see copying to the Note is slow and a cheap class 6 or 10 card should be more than enough.

I didn't even see enough speed difference between the class 6 and class 10 cards to warrant buying a faster card if you currently have a class 6 card and certainly the 80-90mbs read cards which are about double the price of the 30mbs cards are not going to buy you anything.....UNLESS you typically remove the card from the tablet and plug it into a USB 3 reader to transfer files at which point the Ultra fast cards will make a huge difference.

I used Crystaldiskmark to benchmark the speed of the cards in the USB3 card reader and AT-SD for the android app which benchmarked the cards in the Note Pro.

Sandisk 64g class 10 UHS-1 rated at 80mbs - card connected via USB3 to PC, 93mbs read, 61mbs write 500k sequential
Sandisk 64g class 10 UHS-1 rated at 80mbs - 19.2 read and 15.2 write using AT SD default test
Sandisk class 6 16g card in Note Pro. 17.4 read and 10.97 write using AT SD default test

Sandisk 64g class 10 UHS-1 rated at 80mbs - copy 1g file USB3 to card reader - 28 seconds
Sandisk 64g class 10 UHS-1 rated at 80mbs - copy 1g file to tablet (usb3 connection) - 1:28

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

SDHC have a limit of 32GB and SDXC support over 32GB up.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Some 128 sd cards can be used in the12.2 according to a samsung traveling rep I talked to. Some brands will not work. He did mention the sandisk one works. I have yet to load a card to mine because I don't any larger ones so can't back up this info with personal experience.

FWIIW, I have 128gb Sandisk in both my S4 and Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. They both work flawlessly.

Commenting on some other issues that have developed...Regarding speed class--it's pretty hard to find a card less than class 10 these days and I don't see any point to getting one. As speed goes up on cards, the main impact is for video recording. Certainly in your camera or device that you use for that, you should get the most speed you can afford. For other uses, it may not matter as much. But for most uses Class 10 no longer comes at a premium price and it is pretty much standard. And it also is enough to work for most things unless you're doing burst photography at high speed on a camera or the like. There are few problems, though, and it is hard sometimes to find higher speed cards.

As another poster noted, SDXC denominates larger sized cards, above 32gb. That's about the only point these days. It doesn't really matter. If you buy a 64gb, it's a SDXC. There's no choice about that. It just is. If you have an SDXC compatible device, which is most everything made these days, it automatically is fine.

lmb02

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I also have a 128GB that works fine, within the new limits of KitKat. As I understand it, KitKat now locks external storage except for what the app explicitly owns. Pre KitKat allowed any app access to any data on external storage, which they consider a big security hole.

Hopefully one of our Android wizards here will clarify how it actually is set up.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I also have a 128GB that works fine, within the new limits of KitKat. As I understand it, KitKat now locks external storage except for what the app explicitly owns. Pre KitKat allowed any app access to any data on external storage, which they consider a big security hole.

Hopefully one of our Android wizards here will clarify how it actually is set up.

There is some good stuff on the site. See this link from the thread I linked in post 2, above:

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central