I just purchased a new RT-AC68U Asus 5G gigabit router for my home. I have this crappy Westell DSL modem/router which has horrible wifi. I tried to set it up in bridge mode but I couldnt get that to work so I just put the new router in the AP mode and turned off the Westell's wifi and I now have an 802.11ac connection to my Note Pro and Note 3.
You ask if this helped my speeds and I'll tell you definitely yes. I am benchmarking exactly the same speeds and pings as my wired desktop which is about 2mbs faster and 30ms quicker ping. The lack of lag is very noticable. I don't know if you will achieve the same kind of improvement that I did but mine was dramatic.
- 04-05-2014, 12:53 AM #2
Amazing how a newer piece of equipment can make such a difference. This one should not go obsolete for a while. Thanks for sharing your experience with the router.
You're welcome. And as a bonus I was using these 802.11b wifi extenders so my wife could have access around the sprawling 250 year oldhouse and I was able to remove them as well as the new router's range is longer than the Westell. The 2.5ghz side is actually a little stronger. I haven't benchmarked the 2.5ghz vs the 5ghz yet.
Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
- By zBernie in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 3Last Post: 12-07-2015, 12:50 AM
- By SntaCruz83 in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 46Last Post: 06-07-2015, 09:49 AM
- By lattemaker in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4Replies: 4Last Post: 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM
- By Daniel McGrew in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 3Last Post: 01-21-2014, 01:30 AM
- By thatguy97 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)Replies: 4Last Post: 11-26-2013, 08:56 AM