slow charging on galaxy note pro 12.2

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Micro USB or USB 3 cable has no different in charging. The different is data transfer speed of USB 2 and USB 3.
Use this one to monitor your charging current, it should read 1.7 Amps
usb current voltage meter | eBay

I think your problem if not from USB cable or charger, it must be from your cracked battery connector which is very common from this Samsung tablet and others as well.

Here is USB 3 cable and micro USB cable charging current , there is no differences

Micro USB.jpg

USB 3.jpg

Last edited:

Seamas R

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Strange. Was able to find replacement battery. Thought that solved the problem. For a while.... Charged like new. Faster with usb 3.0 and original charger. Slower with micro usb. Charge symbol came on along with screen message "for faster charging .." Now it again only charges with micro usb. If I use usb 3.0 and original charger (have tried new usb 3.0 cords and bought a new charger with "Adaptive Fast Charging" model EP-TA20JWE. Does not charge AT ALL with usb 3.0. Old battery would spike to 110 deg F while charging. With new battery max just over 100 deg F.

So I've now replaced the internal usb 3.0 port, battery, usb 3.0 cables and chargers. What am I missing? With the slow charging, battery management over a whole day is tough. I'm constantly plugging in all day because if I get behind on charge, it's hard to catch up.

There is a mention of cracked battery cables. Any pictures of problem and how to's for fixes?

This was a "just right" tablet for me until this charging glitch came up.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You should read the threat " Flickering Screen " , there are plenty of information regarding cracked battery connector.
I bought a Note Pro for $200 which the owner said it never gets full charge. Resolder the battery connector then it works like new.
This is an easy fix but most people just think of something else and waste their time for a simple problem.

Last edited:

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
had the same problem after updating to 4.4.2. It only charged when off. When the device was on, it mentioned 'not charging' in the battery status, but in fact it did charge very slowly when the device was not in use, about 5% per hour.
Also when used, the battery was draining more quickly than before the upgrade.

This solved it for me:
- reboot in recovery mode (hold volume up, button and power while booting)
- clear cache partition
- reboot.

Looks like something in the cache is causing the system to consume (almost) more power than is supplied by the adapter...

Thanks for the solving the issue of not charging when in use. I've had all the charging issues stated in this thread and tried everything mentioned. Nothing worked. What was really maddening was the OEM charger not keeping up with charge when the tablet was in use. Really hoping your fix works. Any sense of how long before the problem of not being able to keep up with charging returns?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the solving the issue of not charging when in use. I've had all the charging issues stated in this thread and tried everything mentioned. Nothing worked. What was really maddening was the OEM charger not keeping up with charge when the tablet was in use. Really hoping your fix works. Any sense of how long before the problem of not being able to keep up with charging returns?
This issue can easily fix: re solder the battery connector. I had one Note Pro that battery dropped 30% in 10 minutes. Resoldered the battery connector. then the tablet can standby for a whole week without losing much charge.

tjmethod

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
It's all about the output of the charger- in general cell phone chargers on average were about 700 mA. The note smartphones com with a 2.1 A charger but could be charged with a 700 mA chargercharger but the the Galaxy and basically all android tablets won't charge unless they get 2.1A. There are 4A chargers out there and higher. These will charge faster. I find that a sizable good charging bank charges faster than an AC plug in charger anyway.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So at this point is safe to say slow charging and fast discharging is strictly battery connection needing to be re-soldering and not a dying battery?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Battery has its certain life, most can be up to 2 years depending how you use your tablet.
I had one battery that being discarded as dead battery by someone else. I fixed it by pushing all end tips closer to make good contact, then it works like new without any problem . Some people claim to fix the flickering screen by new battery but they don't know their old batteries can be fixed easily. Samsung fix this loose connection by silver conductive glue, I fix by pushing the opening closer

Silver Conductive Glue.jpg

Fix Battery.jpg

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So at this point is safe to say slow charging and fast discharging is strictly battery connection needing to be re-soldering and not a dying battery?
Having followed this thread for quite a while and experiencing the same issues I decided to first purchase a new charge and cables. The cables are braided with substantial ends. This took care of the charging slowness completely. So I tried the new charger with older cables. Same charging issues. Then I switched back to the new cables and it charged just fine. This was ~2-3 weeks ago. I've noticed the one 'new' cable is a bit loose at the tablet end. With that came the charging issue again. Went to the other new, unused cable and the charging issue disappeared. When testing the fit of all my old cables, they all are loose fitting on the tablet side.

There may also be internal soldering issues, but cables (temporarily) solved my charging issues. Now I have to figure out why the micro-USB ends are becoming so loose, when they seemed to last for months and months before.

EDIT:
The issue of new cables charging fine for a while (days to weeks of use) then failing to charge by first not being able to match power requirements when using the tablet. Charge on the battery begins to decrease slowly with the charge symbol present. At that time the charging begins to take much longer even when tab is not in use and screen is off. After a week charging stops with that cable.

Then I'll plug in a new cable and all is fine for a while .......... then the problem starts over again. The cables that lasted the longest were (I'm sorry to say) the OEM Samsung cables. Problem with them is they are too short if you want to charge while working on the table. Now, I've gone through ~6 aftermarket cables (6 and 10ft) and the Samsung continue to charge fine ......... although one is beginning to slow.

When the cable begin to charge slowly it is evident that there is a looser fit between the cable Micro-USB plug and the charging port. Samsungs have retained a snug fit.

In examining the port on the tab it seems the opening in the frame for the charging port may be a tad smaller than some of the cables plugs. My speculation is the after market cables are manufactured with a metal too soft for the opening so after a while it begins to get misshapen or just flattened to the point that the plug either can't make contact or becomes an intermittent contact.

That being said, is there a video or written directions on how to remove the back of a Note Pro 12.2? I still would like to check the battery connections

Last edited:

desavannah blob

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I let mine charge for the whole day and night without using it and it only went to about 33% and I had to keep taking the charger out and putting it in again because it kept showing the x in the charge box and even then it would not get rid of the x, so I charged it again and now it's on 1% and will not charge

bonsaimac

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: slow charging on galaxy note pro 12.2 both hardware and software issues.

DENNISOS2 - I agree with you entirely
I'm on my 3rd Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. All have had the same problem. Over time, the tablet USB 3.0 port seems to make erratic/poor/no contact. Always, I am able to get reasonable charging by keeping slight tension on the charging cord pulling it very gently toward me as I face the sceen. (to further complicate this, I lose charging even under this condition if the screen times out, but easily resumes if I re insert the cable and apply the same upward pressure) CRAZY. i get 100% charge during night by resting the male end of the cable on a pen so that the usb connection is pushed upward by the weight of the tablet while fully inserted into the 3.0 port on the tablet.
Have you found a fix for this electrical contact problem??
There are many confounding variables with the charging issue as noted in other threads. I also have had a slow/inadequate charging problem with OEM chargers/cables resolved by doing the power/volume high button system reset. I also started having problems with the first android OS upgrade. So there are software issues as well as hardware issues.
But there is clearly a mechanical/contact problem with the 12.2 Note Pro usb 3.0 port over time. I think this is the most vulnerable part of all portable devices due to inevitable tugging on cables attached to the devices. It is unfortunate that Samsung stopped production of them, guaranteeing that the fixes are up to us end users. Any SUCCESSFUL suggestions by anyone would be most appreciated.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have used my tablet daily for the past 26 months topping up charges and charging overnight using both the stock cable and aftermarket USB 2.0 ones and I have no problems with the port being damaged or worn. Heck, I wish I could get as much "action" as my Note Pro gets lol. Obviously YMMV. In any case a replacement charging port is probably available, I saw one on Amazon for under $20, and there are videos on battery replacement (search YouTube for newpower99 note pro ) during which one can see that the power port assembly is accessible after taking off the back cover.

srjacob99

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is looking at this thread, I had the same problem. The internal charging port wears out, and has to be replaced. Be aware, that the port and cable is different for the Verizon version and the wifi version of this tablet. All the chinese replacement cables I found are for the wifi version and if you use them on the Verizon version, the tablet won't recognize the SIM card.

I had to order the proper port and cable from Samsung. They send the right one, but it was around $38.

Steve

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Be aware, that the port and cable is different for the Verizon version and the wifi version of this tablet. All the chinese replacement cables I found are for the wifi version and if you use them on the Verizon version, the tablet won't recognize the SIM card.

I had to order the proper port and cable from Samsung. They send the right one, but it was around $38.
1- Samsung parts are made from China, so there is no different. Most US sellers are middle men as they bought it from China, popular site is Ali Express.
2- The charging port flex is the same in wifi or LTE, Note Pro or Tab Pro: SM-T900,SM-P900, SM-P905, SM-P907. I have all of these models and most internal parts are identical, for example, I can install a SM-P900 (Wifi) or SM-T900 (Tab Pro) motherboard and rear camera to a LTE Verizon tablet without problem ( LTE rear camera doesn't work with Wifi Note Pro or Tab Pro mainboard ). I can modify and change from LTE to Wifi version or vice versa with ease as no much differences in parts.
3- USB 3 cable must be the right one, others look identical but for phones, only draw 1 Amp, the correct one should draw 1.7 Amps. Parts from Samsung are overpriced, like the S-Pen is over $20 but I can get it from Ali Express for only $2.50/each, the same one with Samsung logo.
This is an example of a S Pen used in P900, P905 ,P907, P600, P605, P607, from a Chinese seller
New A++ +Touch Stylus S Pen For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 P600 P601 P605 | eBay

Last edited: