Battery Usage

John Ball1

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday after my GNP was fully charged I unplugged it to ad carried it into my home computer room. I laid it on a desk, with power on but not the charger. Within 30 minutes the battery was down 50%.

This afternoon I was just playing a low res game WITH my GNP on the charger but it lost 15% of its power.

Does this indicate a problem? Should I exchange it for a new one?

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Possibly a rogue application that's keeping the tablet awake and at a high CPU frequency state. After observing significant rapid drain while the tablet SHOULD have been in deep sleep go into settings and look at battery usage, check to see what applications are listed at the top of the list and hopefully you'll be able to determine what application is doing it. Look at the display on time and screen on indications under the battery graphs to see if things make sense (its possible for example that an app turns on the display and a long duration for auto-off leads to significant drain by the screen without you knowing it). Also, verify that the S-Pen is always stored in the tablet (if not and the pen detection setting is on then this also increases drain).

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you open the task manager and close everything out? If you forget to do that periodically it will eat up your battery. Have to say it seems like the battery is draining abit faster since the update. Just downloaded the update so haven't used it much so can't say for sure. However what you are saying does seem to be really excessive. If it continues I think I would take it back.

Freeaz

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My battery lasts around 6.5 hours and I am not doing anything heavy. I think samsung claimed something like 13 hours.
Please guys test yours and tell us how long the battery lasts.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely seeing some battery drain too. I went thru this with my original 10.1 and Samsung galaxy sent out multiple updates on it until it was perfect. I expect to see some of that continue here

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

John Ball1

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I returned my GNP to Amazon and purchased a new one at Best Buy and the new one seems to be doing better.

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Be mindful as you install software and evaluate battery life as you go. I know it's a pain to do so since we all have our needs when it comes to software and thus we have a laundry list of applications that need to be installed right away but it is very possible that once you set up the new tablet the same way you had the other your battery drain issues could return. After all, these are computers so while there may be slight variations in manufacturing the most likely reason for drain is a logical one (software or usage related).

Android.Ninja

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you open the task manager and close everything out? If you forget to do that periodically it will eat up your battery. Have to say it seems like the battery is draining abit faster since the update. Just downloaded the update so haven't used it much so can't say for sure. However what you are saying does seem to be really excessive. If it continues I think I would take it back.

I agree with you about the battery possibly discharging at a slightly faster rate since the update, however it's really not needed to open the task manager and close out any open programs since Linux is primarily designed to keep things in the background process at a lower rate of commission and then move them to the forefront and launch them as needed. There's a lot of information about the use of "Task Managers" etc associated to the use of Android devices. Again this would not constitute a rogue runaway program that is trying up resources for no reason. I sometimes still today find myself doing the same thing, lol. ;)

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button. ;)

Android.Ninja

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Be mindful as you install software and evaluate battery life as you go. I know it's a pain to do so since we all have our needs when it comes to software and thus we have a laundry list of applications that need to be installed right away but it is very possible that once you set up the new tablet the same way you had the other your battery drain issues could return. After all, these are computers so while there may be slight variations in manufacturing the most likely reason for drain is a logical one (software or usage related).

Yep, you are absolutely correct! I always watch closely to what installations I have on the device and avoid high amount of unneeded installations. I've also seen that in the past where a rogue app grabs a hold of the cpu and locks it at a higher rate for absolutely no reason at all. Then after ending the task everything returns to normal.

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button. ;)

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
My battery life has def dropped from when I first bought it.... not liking the samsung quality thus far, almost seems like after 30 days everything starts falling apart. Dumpster was eating as much battery as my screen was so I got rid of that. However battery life is still crap :(

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has def dropped from when I first bought it.... not liking the samsung quality thus far, almost seems like after 30 days everything starts falling apart. Dumpster was eating as much battery as my screen was so I got rid of that. However battery life is still crap :(

Has to be software that was installed if you're seeing degradation over time and this should be reversible with a little sleuthing to determine the culprits. First place to start is the battery statistics and watching the rankings of applications there to determine if the top ranked apps make sense. Also manage the use of location services making sure that it is set to power saving mode unless you need GPS.