Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

I'd really like to take notes on this tablet using something like LectureNotes, but I'm having a problem which is really hampering the usuability of it for this as compared to plain old pencil and paper. I'd like to see if any of you may know how to resolve this, or if I'm alone in experiencing this issue.

Most of the time when I use LectureNotes the home button becomes completely inoperative. Even after I exit out of LectureNotes, it still doesn't work. Sometimes if I close the app (via the recent apps button) it will eventually start to work again. This makes it cumbersome to go to other apps not already open when I'm using LectureNotes.

I'm on the Verizon version of the 12.2. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'll send a note to the developer, but it may help to know if others have the problem or even know of a fix.

Thanks.
    Last edited by fastcarve; 04-28-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: LectureNotes and the Note Pro - home button problem

Have not had that issue. Have you cleared the system cache recently?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by GANote3 View Post
    Have not had that issue. Have you cleared the system cache recently?
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I cleared the system cache today and I'm still having the issue intermittently. Something odd is that I've also seen it after a reboot before going into LectureNotes, and then it cleared up (started working) after I opened LectureNotes, at least for the moment.

As a side note, when this happens the back and recent app buttons only work with the stylus and don't work with my finger. Likewise, the power button won't pull up its regular menu - it can only be used as a restart by holding it in for a while.

These button issues all come and go together (back, home, recent apps, and power).

Here is something to possibly try, back up your settings and notebook board and try Uninstalling the app and see if the problem goes away or not and then try reinstalling the app.

Thanked by:

@fastcarve: That's a rather weird problem that you report, I never heard of anything similar before. LectureNotes is not involved in the handling of the `home (or the `menu) button. This is in difference to the `back button, for which LectureNotes is asked whether it wishes to handle it.

I did not receive your email concerning this problem.

Is your device rooted? If so, are you using the stock or a custom ROM?
    Thanked by:

I have a similar problem and i don't have lecture notes. Sometimes while working the screen turns off and I can't bring it back by pressing the home button and have to press the power button.
    It's a very strange problem and my device is not rooted.

Surprisingly enough a friend of mine who has the samsung galaxy note 3 phone told me he had the same problem where the screen dims and home button does not bring it back.
    is this a hardware problem or software.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

[duplicate post]
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by acadoid View Post
    @fastcarve: That's a rather weird problem that you report, I never heard of anything similar before. LectureNotes is not involved in the handling of the `home (or the `menu) button. This is in difference to the `back button, for which LectureNotes is asked whether it wishes to handle it.

I did not receive your email concerning this problem.

Is your device rooted? If so, are you using the stock or a custom ROM?
    @acadoid, thanks for your response. I hadn't emailed you yet.

I'm on a P905V, not rooted. For the moment everything is working perfectly and I plan to actively used it today to see how it does since the issue was intermittent. I removed other apps I installed over the last week in case they were associated with the issue, even though there was a direct correlation with the problem occurring when I would use LectureNotes. I also once again (after deleting other apps) cleared the system cache and the application cache.

Since doing the above, I have not seen the problem again. I'll see how it does throughout the day today.

Thanks.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

@Freeaz, I've had a problem like you describe since day one with my 12.2, though it is different from what I originally posted about. Occasionally my screen/tablet will go into lock mode (screen goes dim and I have to press the power button to wake it up and then enter my unlock info). When this happens and I unlock the tablet, the home button still works as it normally does.

It is a little frustrating as it will happen right in the middle of working with the tablet rather than when it is idle.

Strange I wind up randomly hitting my home button and going into stupid google search all the time. Wish my home button was disabled lol.

In your settings do you have smart screen turned on or off?

I don't think it has got to do with LectureNotes. Try clearing the main cache. If still doesn't work, maybe hard reset could remedy it.

Posted via AAJ's NotePro

When I had the smart screen on, it caused some strange issuesm

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

And... the problem returned. Once again it was when I was using LectureNotes. It only lasted a few minutes and then it started working again. I'm stumped. I really don't know for certain if there is something about LectureNotes causing this or if it is a coincidence, but there is a common theme of it starting to happen while I'm using Lecture Notes, and it has yet to first appear when I'm using any other app.

I've cleared the main cache a few times.

What version of Android are you on? The update 4.4.2 is causing several issues.

Agreed!... big big issue on SNote stopped working. .

Posted via AAJ's NotePro
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by GANote3 View Post
    What version of Android are you on? The update 4.4.2 is causing several issues.
    I'm on 4.4.2 as shipped with the Verizon SM-P905V.

@Fastcarve
    You described the problem I have perfectly and I also had it since day one and as I mentioned I saw it with a friend of mine who has a galaxy note 3. Do you think this is a software problem that Samsung can solve with a future update.

I am not sure whether this is helpful, but there was a similar issue (display went dark) on the Note 10.1. It occurred when Samsung's AirView was enabled and you used the S-pen for some time (this is why it occurred quite often when using LectureNotes); the problem did not longer occur after you disabled Samsung's AirView.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I'm starting to think the Samsung "smart" book cover is the cause of my NotePro prolems, thanks to the post above.

I removed the cover and have had pretty much a full day's use without it (between yesterday afternoon and this morning). Since removing the cover, I haven't had a single instance of the screen going dark and into lock mode. That used to happen several times per day.

Also (since removing the cover) I've had a fair amount of use of LectureNotes and haven't had a single instance of the home button not working. My spectulative guess with the tie to LectureNotes is it could just be the single application where I would apply pressure to the tablet for any sustainable duration, and somehow with the cover flipped behind it I was pushing the cover magnets (or whatever is in it) to the tablet and the issue would appear.

I don't know if 1+1=2 in this case, but so far so good.

@Freeaz, are you using a book cover case or some sort of case with that automatically locks or turns off the screen when closed? If so, I'd suggest going without it to see if the problem clears up. I also have a Note 3 with the S-View case and I've never seen the problem on it.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll post an update if anything changes.

That makes since with those magnets. If they are strong enough, it will definitely put it to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarve View Post
    I'm starting to think the Samsung "smart" book cover is the cause of my NotePro prolems, thanks to the post above.

I removed the cover and have had pretty much a full day's use without it (between yesterday afternoon and this morning). Since removing the cover, I haven't had a single instance of the screen going dark and into lock mode. That used to happen several times per day.

Also (since removing the cover) I've had a fair amount of use of LectureNotes and haven't had a single instance of the home button not working. My spectulative guess with the tie to LectureNotes is it could just be the single application where I would apply pressure to the tablet for any sustainable duration, and somehow with the cover flipped behind it I was pushing the cover magnets (or whatever is in it) to the tablet and the issue would appear.

I don't know if 1+1=2 in this case, but so far so good.

@Freeaz, are you using a book cover case or some sort of case with that automatically locks or turns off the screen when closed? If so, I'd suggest going without it to see if the problem clears up. I also have a Note 3 with the S-View case and I've never seen the problem on it.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll post an update if anything changes.
    I had the same issue today. Found out that the cover was the root cause. Now on original Samsung Cover, works perfectly well. Home button works ok now.

Posted via Android Central App