Helllllp!.... I'm having a blonde moment of titanical proportions

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell me the difference between Evernotes and Lecture Notes? Why do you like it better? *I might as well learn, while I'm at it, lol*

Having tried Evernotes own handwriting features, S-Note, Papyrus and LectureNotes I am now stuck between LectureNotes and Papyrus. I've purchased both and I keep wanting to go to Papyrus because it's interface is just cleaner but LectureNotes has a lot more features, its just clunky for me to be diving into menus to get to them.

In terms of the differences lets see.

S-Note - works well on the device itself and now syncs with Evernote but IMO thats about as far as it goes. If you need to be able to utilize those notes on other devices like a computer or print them then issues regarding working with the proprietary format are bound to come up. Export to PDF is supported but only to local storage, whereas export to Google Drive goes immediately to a proprietary .spd file that only S-Note can read. Working with the S-Notes files that are exported in PDF format requires you to manage the files yourself and once you bring the PDFs into your computer the format of the pages is weird (they're not standard paper sizes). On top of all this the syncing with Evernote really is clunky in the sense that what you see in Evernote on your PC is a lower resolution image representation of the pages of your notes.

Papyrus - works similar to S-Note in allowing you to work with objects and take notes with various pen styles. Expands upon the page setup to include various paper sizes. Adds cloud support with automatic backup to Box or Dropbox at set intervals (the interval options suck, the most frequent auto export frequency is every 12-hours so if you need to copy a PDF of your notes to your computer quickly you'll have to manually export or dive into the settings menu and force an auto backup to the cloud).

LectureNotes - builds upon the features of Papyrus by adding more customizations. There's far too many to list, I suggest tyring out the trial and seeing for yourself. One neat feature that others do not have is layer support for having up to 3 maximum layers which makes it easy to move objects around if you plan ahead while you're taking notes. Layers are important when pasting in screen captures and images because once pasted into your note these objects don't behave the same way they do in S-Note or Papyrus. In order to manipulate them you must use the marquee tool so being able to isolate them on a different layer is going to save a lot of frustration when trying to manipulate pasted images later as one fine tunes their notes. LectureNotes doesn't natively auto save to any cloud services so one would have to set up another application to assist in that. I believe Dropsync should work fine though and thats where i'll be headed with LectureNotes. LectureNotes does allow you to select where files are saved which will help in setting up a workflow that works for me. Until I setup a 3rd party application to handle my file management what I'm doing is exporting to PDF and sharing those PDF files to Dropbox manually.

Hope this helps.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll add my thoughts between Evernote, SNote, and LectureNotes. I haven't given Papyrus a chance.

To me, Evernote is very different from SNote and LectureNotes, making it an AND situation rather than an OR situation.

I use Evernote for tracking reference materials and lists. I don't like it at all for taking notes. It is also good for sharing materials with someone else - my wife an I have a shared notebook for things like what we need to pick up from the store.

As far as SNote vs. LectureNotes, there is a big difference. SNotes seems very limited for my needs. The one thing I like about it is I can easily access and update the same notes on my tablet (Note Pro 12.2) and phone (Note 3). That's about the limit of what I like about it.

LectureNotes on the other hand is making my transition to digital note taking easier. I historically took most of my paper notes on two forms: 1) a daily tracking form for certain time tracking notes, call logs, and miscelleneous things throughout the day and 2) general meeting notes using a form to track topics I want to cover, general notes, and action items.

LectureNotes lets me use an image of those forms as the background image on different notebooks. Now, I'm writing on the same form just in digital format.

I'm not suggesting a duplication of my paper workflow in a digital format is the best solution, but it is making the transition easy.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
LectureNotes lets me use an image of those forms as the background image on different notebooks. Now, I'm writing on the same form just in digital format.

I use Lecturenotes the same way. I use it a lot for my genealogy research, so I downloaded a family group sheet and use that as a background image in Lecturenotes. Then it's just like writing on a "proper" form. It's a very versatile app. All it's lacking is the ability to sync.

As for SNote - I hated it on my 10.1s and I hate it on my 12.2

Sent with love from one of my Samsungs

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently trying Google Keep and Sketch for Keep and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, guys, that was very informative.
Up to now I've been using S Notes and Evernote though I had never realized I could access Evernote from the website, duh.
I think I'll experiment with everything I just read here and see what suits me better.
Thanks again! :D

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm barely scratching the surface with LectureNotes but starting to use it more and more.

I'm trying to avoid syncing it with Evernote because it's just not as convenient for me to use Evernote in my workflow as it is to have a PDF sitting in a dropbox folder on my computers (be it home, laptop or workstat at the office). I think I'll start syncing it with Evernote anyway as a backup solution.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm barely scratching the surface with LectureNotes but starting to use it more and more.

I'm trying to avoid syncing it with Evernote because it's just not as convenient for me to use Evernote in my workflow as it is to have a PDF sitting in a dropbox folder on my computers (be it home, laptop or workstat at the office). I think I'll start syncing it with Evernote anyway as a backup solution.

Considering what a klutz and a techtard I can be, using Evernote as back up makes a whole lot of sense for me, look what I just went through, lol.

Lesley Robinson

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, fastcarve. I also figured out that you can import pdf files into LectureNote if you install another program called PDFview. You can just convert the PDF file into a Notebook.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When you create a new notebook, you can import an image as the page 'pattern'. I'm not sure what file formats it supports. I think I used a jpg.

Sent with love from one of my Samsungs

Attachments

• 1400361414197.jpg
    1400361414197.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12