USB Port - Confusion

1roythompson1

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess I am computer (tablet) challenged. I just got my new Verizon 4g note pro 12.2 and cannot for the life of me understand where the USB port is. Looking at the user manual app it says it is on the bottom by the home button. All I can find is on the right side where I have a SIM slot, a micro sd slot, and the charging port. Browsing different forums say I need some kind of USB adapter gizmo?

I have a feeling I am going to feel stupid when I get the answers.........

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You need a micro 3.0 to OTLG adapter to plug in usb devices . It plugs into the charging port. The 3.0 ones are faster abit than the 2.0 ones. You can get one for around $5 from amazon or other places.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That cable has the USB 3 male to plug into the Note and then a standard size USB male to plug into another USB power source. The female then accepts your USB device. Is that what you want?

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Also, it will not charge what is connected to the Micro USB3, only the female USB and only if the full size male USB is connected to a charge adapter.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, it will not charge what is connected to the Micro USB3, only the female USB and only if the full size male USB is connected to a charge adapter.

Is it even possible to have such a cable that powers both the tablet for charging and any periferals that are connected to the OTG cable? I have to wonder if the tablet's port is set up in such a way as to block incoming charge as soon as it recognizes that the port is being used as a USB host adapter as opposed to being connected for charging or as a media device.

1roythompson1

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The cable choice I posted above was "not available" (I live in Hawaii), so I went another route with this one:

Amazon.com: IVSO@ Micro USB 3.0 OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Samsung Note pro 12.2/ tab pro 12.2 tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

I am trying to accomplish two things:
1. Bought the new Logitech Keyboard (which I like), but while it says it is for the Pro, it did not come with a dongle, which started my confusion. Without a connection I cannot take advantage of the Keyboard Battery.
2. I want to stream both from my phone (Samsung Note 3) and my Pro via USB to a TV.

The amount and variety of cables and dongles are overwhelming and confusing. My confusion was doubled when I looked at the Pro's tutorial and it showed a USB port at the bottom by the Home Key, which of course, is a mistake.

I appreciate everyone's help......

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You can do that by USB TETHERING. I dont know if the note 12 has that built in, or you need root access?

Can you elaborate? I fail to see how one would be able to connect an external hard drive to the tablet and not only power the drive but also charge the tablet simultaneously via tethering.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20