About to Buy. Memory (32/64) and Keyboard Help Please.

agrajag27

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so I've pretty much decided the Note Pro 12.2 is the device for me.

The big remaining questions:

1. How much RAM should I get -- 32GB or 64GB? The price isn't really an issue but I can't imagine using the 32GB let alone the 64. Most things I do I do via the cloud. Plex served up from my PC storage, Dropbox, Google Docs, etc. I have lots of apps but they all have no problem fitting on my S4 phone. What am I not considering?

2. What keyboard do I want? I'm sure I want a keyboard and THINK I want a keyboard/case design. I can be talked out of it. So far my choices seem to be the Logitech or the Samsung. Zagg I know professionally and they make garbage other than their screen protectors (sorry -- they're not an engineering company). The Logitech sounds great except for TONS of reviews saying their tablets fall out of it (WHAT??!?!) That seems like a ridiculous oversight. Then there's the SHIFT-Space issue (though I read there's now some work around???)

Then there's the Samsung keyboard but no one seems to ever discuss it and it has those raised edges on both sides that I suspect might annoy my palms.

I mainly want protection. If no keyboard sleeps the tablet then maybe just going with a GREAT stand-alone keyboard and solid protective case might be best. I'd like a case/stand that can give me lots of angle options including sitting back on a couch.

I'm hoping to get this Thursday evening (5/8) so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
If everything fits on your phone with room to spare and you are happy with that, then go for the 32. The OS on the tablet will sometimes take up more room than it does on a phone. You didn't say how much room you have after everything is loaded. If you are close to the limit you may want to consider the larger one, with the larger screen you may end up with a lot more stuff on the internal memory. Remember that sometimes some apps on a tablet take up more room than the same app on a phone. I tend to like more memory than I may need and thus opted for the 64 over the 32. I don't regret it because I have found that the larger screen so I have more stuff on it such as hd movies etc. Then again I don't like to keep everything or be depend on the cloud like others do. I like the ability to have everything on either the device or the cards/drive rather than the cloud because sometimes accessing the cloud isn't always a viable option. For a $100 difference between the two you get double the memory which is a good deal. In the end it is a personal choice that will work best for you. I know there are a lot of people on this forum that are really happy with the 32 over the 64.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I think you're not considering the future. You're going to have this tablet a long time. I have the Verizon LTE wich only comes in 32g. I only have two large programs loaded and a couple of gig of documents from my laptop and I've used 17gb. With Kitkat, you cant move much to the SD card. An example is Asphalt 8, 1.44g total program size on the tablet. When I moved it to the SD card the Tablet size reduced to only 1.38g with only 58mb of data being moved to the card. The days of moving your large programs to SD card are over.

I'd get the 64g because if you ever run out of space your only option is to delete stuff of buy another tablet.

As for teh keyboard, if I wanted a big folio case/keyboard like the logitech I would have kept my Ultrabook. I went with the Zagg and I'm quite happy with it. Adds very little to the size and weight of the tablet. I carry my tablet in my backpack about 40 weeks a year when traveling for business.

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The Cloud requires Wifi and a fast Wifi at that. If you intend to always be near WIfi then the Cloud may be the answer....personally that's not the case for me and I've yet to find "free" Wifi when traveling that is anything other than slow....That's why I bought the LTE.

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon tablet only comes in 32 GB but I put in a 64 GB card in it and I'm happy with that. I can't help you with the keyboard because for me the whole point of having a tablet is to do away with the keyboard, so I don't have one.
Enjoy your new note pro, you will love it!

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're planning on install a whole bunch of large of apps, especially high-end games, the 32GB should be fine. You can use microSD for media and such which will work just fine. I personally didn't find the $100 premium worth the extra internal storage. But that's completely up to you. If you have an Android phone, you can probably get a descent idea as to how much space things take and what apps/games you'll want.

Also, for me, I don't keep gadgets like this for more than 6-12 months tops. By then there's usually something with a significant jump in tech to make me upgrade. Which at that point, 32GB will probably still be fine as long as there is MicroSD.

I have the Logitech Pro Keyboard and haven't had an issue with the tablet falling out. It's held in there pretty good if it's installed correctly. I can only assume folks are getting defective products, aren't installing correctly, or mine hasn't failed yet. :) You do have to snap it in and slide upwards to allow the upper tabs to hold it in. So who knows on that one.

agrajag27

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Great info all. Very helpful.

I got wondering about the Logitech K810 backlit keyboard but then couldn't really figure out how I'd reliably type with it. It's stand-alone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the K810 with my Tab 10.1 (original model) and it worked extremely well. That particular keybroad had the highest ratings for a bluetooth keyboard when I purchased it. I loved the way I could be some distance from the tablet and still have no issues typing.The only downside for me was that there was no cover or case for the keyboard for use during transport.

agrajag27

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So what are you using now? For the time being I picked up the Logitech Pro, but I have a few issues with it. (Can't get it to stop asking which browser I want for the browser macro button and can't assign the app I want to the macro buttons in general)

smoke skull

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have owned my original galaxy tab 10.1 for a couple years st least. Still have over 5gb remaing on the 16gb version. I used the tab a lot too. Plus it had no external storeage. I highly doubt the 64gb is necessary.

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I would gladly pay more for a 64gb version with LTE, but Verizon doesn't offer it. I have to manage space more than I'd like on the 32gb model.

NextIssue has 8gb of magazines waiting for my review and they can't be moved to SD. I have a news paper app that takes 2GB which can't be moved to SD, etc. I've been as low as 4gb free and I don't have any games taking up space. With the 32gb model I'm forced to watch available space and remove things more than I'd like. Also, I don't have things loaded on it that I would prefer to have on it.

As you can see from feedback, usage seems to vary quite a bit by person. It is hard to judge needs on past usage from other tablets as this tablet (in my opinion) is good for so many things you may want to use it in ways you never expected.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So what are you using now? For the time being I picked up the Logitech Pro, but I have a few issues with it. (Can't get it to stop asking which browser I want for the browser macro button and can't assign the app I want to the macro buttons in general)

I am using the Logitech Pro Keyboard Case
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-pro-keyboard-case-for-samsung-galaxy-note-pro-12-2-and-galaxy-tab-pro-12-2-black/4752005.p?id=1219102791425&skuId=4752005>
shows the one I purchased. I find the keyboard to be high quality with great touch like all the logitech keyboards I have owned in the past. I would have liked it to be back lighted but otherwise it is perfect. The folio case is also an excellent protective case and provides a locking channel to hold the tablet securely while using the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs