I'd get one if more apps supported in multi screen

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think one of the major benefits of a larger screen is being able to run multiple apps in their own window. I could see it as a great home automation control with Harmony controlling AV, Sonos controlling home audio, Mobilinc for home automation, Time Warner app giving me TV listings as well as NBA app showing statistics for game. Unfortunately can't do any of that because none of those apps are supported in multi window. I'll be glad when Google implements multi window I don't think it would be as limited.

Posted via Android Central App

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I think one of the major benefits of a larger screen is being able to run multiple apps in their own window. I could see it as a great home automation control with Harmony controlling AV, Sonos controlling home audio, Mobilinc for home automation, Time Warner app giving me TV listings as well as NBA app showing statistics for game. Unfortunately can't do any of that because none of those apps are supported in multi window. I'll be glad when Google implements multi window I don't think it would be as limited.

Rooting the Note 12.2 and then using an app called Multi-Window (I believe) allows you to use most any app in the multi window environment. However I have noticed with some apps that they work but are not formatted too well; such as a Bible app that I have. It fits on the split screen but the words must believe it is still formatted to fit on the full screen because half of them are gone off the right hand side of the screen. So even though the app works in multi-window format it is useless in this setting.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah and the other issue is that if the application doesn't support popup view then you're limited to having it always visible on the screen.

With popup view you at least are able to minimize it to a bubble and move the bubble around the screen to get the app out of the way temporarily.

But hey . . . its all manageable. Support for multitasking on these things is still ahead of the curve compared to many other mobile devices.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the Note 12.2 and then using an app called Multi-Window (I believe) allows you to use most any app in the multi window environment. However I have noticed with some apps that they work but are not formatted too well; such as a Bible app that I have. It fits on the split screen but the words must believe it is still formatted to fit on the full screen because half of them are gone off the right hand side of the screen. So even though the app works in multi-window format it is useless in this setting.

Trouble is that certain apps such as Time Warner and NBA Game Time won't work on rooted devices.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Trouble is that certain apps such as Time Warner and NBA Game Time won't work on rooted devices.

I have no doubt some apps won't work with root but I doubt those two fall into that category. I use the TWC TV application daily on my note pro which is rooted. I also just tried NBA Game Time for tablets and that works too. I am not running any root cloaking modifications at all or modified apk's.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no doubt some apps won't work with root but I doubt those two fall into that category. I use the TWC TV application daily on my note pro which is rooted. I also just tried NBA Game Time for tablets and that works too. I am not running any root cloaking modifications at all or modified apk's.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's good to know, perhaps they've changed it. It's been over a year since I had a rooted phone and couldn't use those apps. How do those apps look in multi-window? Are they usable or too distorted?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, there's two aspects to multiwindow; pop-up view and standard multiwindow support. What I describe standard support to be is when you split the screen in half or quarters, this is invoked by swiping from the right edge of the screen to bring up the multiwindow enabled app tray and dragging and dropping one of the app icons to a section of the screen.

Pop-up view on the other hand is invoked by tapping the app icon in the multiwindow app tray. This brings up the application in a floating window that can be resized and moved around freely on the screen. Pop-up windows can also be minimized to floating bubbles.

Neither of these two apps work as pop-ups.

TWC-TV works fine as a multiwindow app.

ESPN Game Time does not scale its elements well so it's not usable in multiwindow IMO.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
i got the multiwindow function to work with the other apps that I couldn't before and didn't want to root with an app "MW-Pen App Enabler" in the play store. I got the pro version as its required to use the MW function. And so I have no problems and working great...so for those who struggled with this...you might want to check it out if you don't know about it yet.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I would ask someone with a rooted tablet to try the apps you're interested in. If Multiwindow is a deal breaker for you, you sure dont want to buy the Note and root it only to find the apps dont work to your liking....and then you stuck with a non returnable tablet.

Sent from My Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As I noted above there is more than one aspect to multi window support so it would be appreciated if as people report success they test both pop up and standard side be side window modes. For some the lack of popup support may be a deal breaker so it's important to be clear that this function works in particular.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
As I noted above there is more than one aspect to multi window support so it would be appreciated if as people report success they test both pop up and standard side be side window modes. For some the lack of popup support may be a deal breaker so it's important to be clear that this function works in particular.

you are right and I'm and not here to argue to get anal...but my understanding is there is A Multiwindow function AND a Pop-up view function and so with that view I mentioned that the MW function worked with an app that didn't work. But after rechecking, I noticed that the app I mentioned also allowed for the POP-UP view and after re-processing and trying again it indeed allowed for both the MW and POP-UP view.

Obviously I haven't tried with all the apps...but with the couple bible apps it works flawlessly.

But thanks muzzy996 for your input!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
i got the multiwindow function to work with the other apps that I couldn't before and didn't want to root with an app "MW-Pen App Enabler" in the play store. I got the pro version as its required to use the MW function. And so I have no problems and working great...so for those who struggled with this...you might want to check it out if you don't know about it yet.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Holly cow, this is a great app that I didn't know existed, thanks so much. I'll try installing the apps I want for the Note Pro on my Note 3 to see if they are supported. If so I'll probably go ahead and get the Note Pro 12.2. Thanks again.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@ Dunamis: Yeah in my zealousness to be clear sometimes I make things more confusing. My apologies. There was nothing wrong with your posts, I just wanted to make sure people understood nuances of multiwindow support.

Hopefully I didn't really mess people up.

For those looking to do multiwindow support there's more than one way to do it.

The easy way isnt always the best, and I think using the app that Dunamis recommended is the better way to do it. I had forgotten about that application and used Wanam Xposed instead which is the easy way . . .

Just want to warn others about my mistake. If one merely uses Wanam Xposed or Pen Window Manager app to enable multiwindow support this doesn't modify the application's APK at all so the app will likely not respond to a tap in the multiwindow app tray (which typically launches an app in popup view) .

As Dunamis describes, using MW Pen App Enabler will allow you to modify at the APK level each application which you then reinstall onto your device and allows true pen window, popup and multiwindow support.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@dss2000:

I processed NBA Game Time app with the pro version of MW Pen App Enabler and it works fine in popup window mode.

Thanks to Dunamis for setting me straight.

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
So i bought the pro version picked an installed app "voice recorder" enabled all 3 things yet when i do a pen window it's not in the list of things i can choose to add to my MW box.... am I doing it wrong? I
I added the 3 features clicked process then uninstall/reinstall
Hopefully I wont have to reinstall the voice recorder app as i've got a few things on there saved..

Last edited:

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So i bought the pro version picked an installed app "voice recorder" enabled all 3 things yet when i do a pen window it's not in the list of things i can choose to add to my MW box.... am I doing it wrong? I
I added the 3 features clicked process then uninstall/reinstall
Hopefully I wont have to reinstall the voice recorder app as i've got a few things on there saved..

2 bars on the bottom, click edit you should see the apps that is available. If it's there then you drag over to main MW window.

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thats exactly the problem nothing new shows up in the lower bar where you can pick what you want to add to include to the penwindow.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon