Will the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 work with an External HDD?

arthurspnr14

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a Note Pro 12.2, does anyone know if I can use a Desktop External drive which is mains powered with a USB 3 OTG cable with this device? I was thinking about buying a wireless drive if its not possible too do this. Please help!

John Ball1

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can. I've got a couple drive that my GNP will recognize. They have to formatted to Fat32 to work. In addition the more you have on the hard drive the longer it takes the GNP to read it.

I've decided to either use 64 gbyte micro sd cards or 128 gbyte flash drives. The flash drives are on sale at Best Buy and Amazon for around $35.

Posted via Android Central App

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2TB Toshiba HD that holds my itunes library, that I connect with the micro 3.0 to USB OTG when I am home. Works fine. When I am out and about with my 12.2 I use the 128GB PNY thumb drive in addition to keeping a 64 GB SD card. A micro 2.0 to USBB OTG works as well.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hard part is supporting other file systems like NTFS or mac formatted drives. There are apps to assist in this too but thus far I haven't had much luck (admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time trying) with paragon and stickmount.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just bought A SamsungGalaxy Note Pro 12.2. I have a Seagate 1 TB Back Up Plus hard drive .

Now as the title says , I want to connect both to play movies. I also bought an OTG cable to use. Now, I know that I need to format my HDD to either Fat 32 or exfat for my note Pro to read the drive. When I tried to format my HDD, only two options are seen, NTFS and ex Fat . So I formatted with exfat . I have about 500 GB of movies on my drive, when I connected my HDD which is in exFat,my GNP 12.2 could recognize that a drive was connected but could not see the contents . l tried in the file manager as well but to no avail. l tried putting in my 4GB USB stick with a couple of pictures and it worked . I tried reformatting my HDD to ex Fat but now with the setting "default allocation size" (initially it was in 32000 kb on allocation size as I have about hundreds of MB per file ) . Then I just put in one movie, now my GNP could see the file .

Now, how come my GNP did not recognize my HDD, is it the allocation size, or the number and amount of files 1 have on my drive (which is very large) . l kind of doubt that it's the size As I read that others Connect in about 2TB HDD to their GNP . If it's the allocation size, Can someone explain why this is so? Or any one has any ideas why mine does not work/ connect ?

Posted via Android Central App

Alexander Smerz

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra formatted in FAT32. Windows will not allow you to fomat the entirety of the HD to FAT32 as there is a 32GB restriction built in. However there is a little trick that I have found works amazingly.

The XBOX360 ONLY recognizes FAT32, so whenever you plug in a HD into a XBOX360 it will have to reformat the ENTIRE HD, but allocating 1-32GB for XBOX use. NOTE: The XBOX does not partition the drive, only reformats. The 16GB allocation is simply a hidden folder on the HD that you can simply delete from Windows Explorer after you enable viewing of Hidden Files/Folders.

Hope that works for you.

NOTE: Reformatting will delete EVERYTHING off of your Hard Drive... so back it up before you reformat.