Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Surface Pro 3 12 inch vs GNP 12.2 Who is selling their GNP?

Only reason i'm not selling is lecturenotes. If you are switching what are the reasons that made you do it? Aside from the obvious windows based programs.

Default Re: Surface Pro 3 12 inch vs GNP 12.2 Who is selling their GNP?

I won't be downgrading to a Surface any time.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

One reason i'd ditch the SNP is simply the search speed of pdf's when i load a text book and search my laptop is light years faster than the snp.

I use a Surface Pro (original) in addition to my GNP. I may upgrade my Surface Pro 1 to version 3, but it won't replace my GNP. They are still very different machines in my view. My main use for the Surface Pro is PhotoShop and other Windows-only photo software.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Another sp3 benifit is when you do video out you can pick your res where as on the gnp is looks kinda crap on a monitor.

Well I ordered the Surface Pro 3 and received it from Microsoft on launch day with full intention of putting my Note Pro 12.2 on ebay. I have since changed my mind and the Surface Pro 3 is going back this evening as I've already printed the shipping return labels and got it all boxed up.

I had several problems with my unit such as it crashing 4 times requiring a power off because the screen was just locked up and 1 of those times it wouldn't power off. I was lucky that it only had about 15% battery left as it just sat there for about 2 hours until it died. The wifi speed was spotty as it went from 12 mbps down to less than 1 mbps and stayed on 3 mbps for about half a day.

Even if they fix these and 2 more issues that I was having I was able to see some things that I just like better about my Note Pro as follows:

Battery Life - I do get 13 hours the way I use my tablet and on the SP3 it would have been around 8 (not bad)
    Screen - The Note has a better screen for 3 reasons to me
    1) They are both 12 inch tablets but with the 3X2 SP3 layout the Note looked visibly larger to me and not just because it is 12.2 inches it just looked bigger!
    2) I could see that it is a higher resolution device. The text looks more crisp to me
    3) I had to keep the SP3 on 75% brightness to get what 35% on the Note was giving me.

I did like the feel of the n-trig stylus as it was very nice and since I'm not an artist I'm not concerned about pressure levels but I hated not being able to scroll with my stylus.

For me the Note Pro 12.2 wins hands down!

Good report MickeyLittle. Let us know how you use your Note Pro. I use it for word and excel docs. I am somewhat spoiled by the features of MS software but at least I can import those files into the tablet and work with them there.

Quote Originally Posted by treetopsranch View Post
    Good report MickeyLittle. Let us know how you use your Note Pro. I use it for word and excel docs. I am somewhat spoiled by the features of MS software but at least I can import those files into the tablet and work with them there.
    Yes I do as well and I gave up on Hancom Office (although I don't have a lot of patience sometimes) and am happily using old faithful Office Suite Pro. I am very much looking forward to Microsoft Office coming to Android hopefully later this year and I'd really love to see OneNote upgraded to the 21st Century!

Office Suite Pro seems to give the things that people need without all of the fluff and confusing menus that Hancom has. I can see why you like it. I can't really say that Hancom has a significant amount of additional features though I suspect it does. What I do know for sure is that the interface is more complicated LOL.

So I returned my GNP 12.2 to BestBuy and ordered a SP3. Got the SP3 and had very high hopes for it. It is sooo light for a full featured computer. But, when I hooked it to an external Apple 27" LED display, there was an annoying screen flicker that Microsoft will not acknowledge, let alone fix.
    Then there's the horrible wi-fi speed (half what the Macbook air obtains)....again not fixed.
    Here's the one thing I never though would be an issue... the power supply and the pen. I found myself constantly forgetting either the power supply or the pen or both. I have a Galaxy Note 3 so the power supply is the same as the GNP 12.2 so I never forget it. One can always borrow anyone's usb power connector if necessary. The pen in the GNP 12.2 is embedded, so that is never left behind either.
    Currently at the beach for July 4th and you guessed it... forgot the SP3 power supply. So it's a brick. Luckily I brought the Macbook air (old faithful) and I'm happily using it.

The SP3 is rapidly becoming that hot girlfriend that held so much promise but..... it's just not working out. No no it's not you, it's me.