Does Samsung ever issue updates to android or are they slow?

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my np since they came out and mine is still on 4.4.2, I use it daily for entertainment and everything but never get any updates to the firmware.

Sent from my SM-P900 using AC Forums mobile app

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I still have 4.4.2 myself even though a couple months ago Sammy did push out a very small OTA update that didn't do anything that we know of. It sure didn't take us to 4.4.3!

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
System status says "official".

Then you're not rooted and you should be able to get any updates that come out, when/if there are any. No I believe I read that Samsung stated that this device would receive updates even up to android 5.0 if I'm not mistaken.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So today I get an update..... BRB after installing I hope... An update : . The Update was false alarm...

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
After seeing that the Verizon version ot the 12.2 had an update I drove over to my friendly BestBuy/Samsung store and inquired. The fellow that helped me didn't know but contacted Samsung and was told that the WiFi version of the Note Pro 12.2 would not be getting the Android 4.43 update but instead would go directly to 4.4.4 within 4 to 6 weeks.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just curious myself. I'm retired and enjoy gaming and tech stuff. I have a few tablets and the Samsung is the only one that doesn't receive any updates.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm thinking as the S is all shiny new and this tablet is fading from the scene.....

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is my second Samsung tablet (and device) so my experience is limited but being that my first was a Verizon variant of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 I came into this Note Pro under the assumption that my experience would be the same. Back then my Galaxy Tab 10.1 from Verizon came with Honeycomb and Touchwiz along with the stock kernel sucked big time. That version of the tab ended up getting ICS some SIX MONTHS after ICS had already been out, a couple months AFTER the wifi version of the tablet had its own update.

Seems like Samsung's MO is to not do much updating and any major updates for any existing devices take place after new hardware releases have had a chance to sell. This of course is just my opinion based on past experience and from what I've observed for the Note 10.1 2014 edition (which I don't own); the Note 10.1 2014 community had to wait until after the Note Pro was released before an official build of Kitkat was released for their device.

All of that said, since Google services/applications update features without the need to update at the system level I really could care less at this point if a software release comes out. 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 bring mostly security patches and a few bug fixes. The cosmetic changes in 4.4.3 are more for phones (dialer and contacts) and don't necessarily translate over to Touchwiz anyway so there's not much there either. Once Android L goes out though then I'll be keeping a watchful eye out. I'm not planning on holding my breath though as surely Samsung's first device with Android L design elements baked into Touchwiz is going to be a new piece of hardware rather than an update to an old one . . .

With the tweaks that I have done to my Note Pro using root apps I'm satisfied for now.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
No I believe I read that Samsung stated that this device would receive updates even up to android 5.0 if I'm not mistaken.

They said same when I bought Note 10.1 (2012). But what happened:

I like the idea about Note... you have all in one package: a phone, a tablet and a pen.

I have now Note 10.1 (2012) and it does all i want (see above) and my Sony Smsrtwatch 2 notifies me when i get messages, phone calls etc. and my Note is in my bag. BUT... i still have Android 4.1.2 since january 2013. No 4.2.... no 4.3... and still waiting and hoping to get 4.4 soon.

I was planning to get NotePro 12.2 phone model and replace my old Note. But I gave up with Samsung and the idea about all-in-one. I hate to say, but my next devices will probably be surface pro 3 and nexus (or similar, what ever they are called in the future)...

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks folks that's what I thought. I have a Tegra Note since the first of the year and it's gotten 5-6 updates, patches etc. Same with my Nexus7.2 ( which is by the way the best tablet I've ever owned) I wanted the big screen for movies and games...it looks great and performs well so as long as it turns on and runs I'm good I guess. I bought a re furbed Asus 700t 10 in. So I could learn to root and all on that. It's got a great screen also....I'm nuts I guess but being disabled and retiring early has proven to be boring sometimes so I bought toys! Have a great weekend folks!!!

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 with 4G LTE that I got from Verizon. It has Android 4.1.2 while my Nexus 7 has been updated to 4.4.4. I'm thinking about rooting the Samsung so I can get updated Android. The only reason I bought it was for the 4G service.. Nexus is far superior tablet..

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Samsung releases lots of updates but b if you have a Carrier in the middle things come slow.

I love the 12.2 Pro and have ditched my laptop. My favorite media tablet though is a Fire 8.9 HDX by far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Wi-Fi guy....No carrier is involved.........I love mine also, I just wish they have it some love

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had my np since they came out and mine is still on 4.4.2, I use it daily for entertainment and everything but never get any updates to the firmware.

They are slow plus they have more devices than anyone else by a mile. I don't expect one for the 12.2 until Surface. It's not that far off. The 12.2 is in a market of its own for now so will be updated. Unless maybe the 13+ comes out :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith