35 hours, 90% battery left, on "standby"

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have much time to use my tablet the last two days. And I kept WiFi & screen off except for about 25 minutes. But, I never shut it down completely, just closed the case.

I was able to get 35 hours on only 10% battery. So there is 90% left. Theoretically I could go like this for 350 hours (14 1/2 days). Pretty amazing. See the attached screen shot.

But, why would I have a tablet if I only used it for 10 minutes a day?!!!!

Sent from my SM-P900 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1407538411929.jpg
    1407538411929.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 43

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
It's good when you splash all that cash on a new device and it throws a few unexpected delights at you. Sorta mitigates "buyers remorse" a lot!

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Brag while its new. Something has to be said when you plug your tablet in at night and decide to sleep in to wake up with it only at 65%

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is that a charger, cable or tablet issue though?

I've had cables go bad and chargers go bad. I've also have tablets act up as well, my 2012 Nexus 7 is finicky now that its a couple of years old.

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
What note do you all have? My dies when I sneeze. I charge it and turn it off and the battery drains. I don't do much and it dies.. So tell me about these hours

From Peaches Galaxy Note 3

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
@Grimgrak, @Peaches36 I have SM-P900 32gb version - Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900 (WiFi) [32GB & 64GB]

It looks like there are 4 versions. SM-P900, SM-P901, SM-P905, SM-P905V
Details here -> http://www.thegalaxytabforum.com/in...p900-sm-p901-sm-p905-sm-p905v-specifications/

Which one do you have and how long have you had it?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" (they really need a shorter name for this awesome tablet)

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Goin_nil's exceptional standby times are in large part due to the fact that nothing is establishing a wakelock as evidenced by the low number of tick marks in the awake line on the battery summary screen shots being posted. The kernel on these tablets is very good in terms of bringing the cpu down to a low power state when usage is minimal.

If yours is dying fast in standby then something is running in the background keeping the tablet awake and you'll see that in the battery summary page. To figure out what it is you'll need to pay attention to what applications are ranking at the top of the battery usage list. Using third party battery monitoring tools helps find wakelocks too (like Better Battery Stats or GSAM Battery Monitor).

Sometimes an application goes rogue, and sometimes it's merely that sync settings for certain applications are set frequently enough that the device hardly sleeps. Imagine for example if a dozen apps were set to sync every 15 minutes but they each fired off a minute apart. Overnight the cpu would have very little time to rest.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Goin_nil's exceptional standby times are in large part due to the fact that nothing is establishing a wakelock...

That's a great point @muzzy996. Recently I've been trying to do a few things when I know I'm not going to be using the tablet for a few hours. I read this on some forum, maybe this one.
1. Force close all apps from the recent apps list.
2. Clear the RAM.
3. Turn Wifi off.

But, I don't turn the tablet off. I just turn the screen off (ie close my case).

I checked my battery graph during the times when I've done this and the battery percentage has been a flat line for hours, even over night it did not drop one percentage point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you're living proof that it helps!

Left alone though I think you'll find that it won't be too bad either. Sometimes people are unlucky in the applications they install and a single sour grape can spoil the wine so to speak.

I love my Note Pro . . It gives me the best battery life I've ever seen out of an Android device. I never thought I'd see the kind of standby times that I do with one, but I'm able to leave Wifi on 24-7 without worry and walk away from the tablet without fear of returning to a battery that has been significantly drained 24 hours later. At most perhaps I'll see a 10% drain overnight but it is more common for me to see much less than that over 8 hours that I'm sleeping.

RoyalWulf

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
This is day 4 with my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and I barely get a working day with it, I can't use it at night after using it all day :-(
Bit disappointed.
I don't use it heavily during the day but it is on and wifi is on all day.
I have other tablets with better battery life.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This is day 4 with my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and I barely get a working day with it, I can't use it at night after using it all day :-(
Bit disappointed.

That would be very frustrating.

Have you tried using apps to help monitor the battery usage and identify apps that are sucking the most battery?

I'd recommend GSam - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=dOpaDJ3F

I've also found that the more apps you have than use the Internet the quicker the battery drains because of all the background activity.

Have you tried closing apps down when you are not actively using them? My kids played a game on mine and then let it sit idle with the screen off for a few hours. When I went to use the tablet the battery had drained quite a bit.

Do you have the wifi only tablet or the cellular tablet?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Bit disappointed.

How many hours of screen time do you get? You can see this at the end of each day (before you charge it) in the Settings | Battery | Screen.

RoyalWulf

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That would be very frustrating.

Have you tried using apps to help monitor the battery usage and identify apps that are sucking the most battery?

I've also found that the more apps you have than use the Internet the quicker the battery drains because of all the background activity.

Have you tried closing apps down when you are not actively using them? My kids played a game on mine and then let it sit idle with the screen off for a few hours. When I went to use the tablet the battery had drained quite a bit.

Do you have the wifi only tablet or the cellular tablet?

cellular tablet
Rather not have to close things down.

At the moment I don't have many apps apart from stock, are there any issues with the stock ROM and apps?

RoyalWulf

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
How many hours of screen time do you get? You can see this at the end of each day (before you charge it) in the Settings | Battery | Screen.

Hmmm, Yes the screen was taking 46% of the battery, i have turned the brightness down to see if that helps

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Guess it depends on room conditions but typically for me I run my tablet at perhaps 15% brightness at home in the evenings and 30% to 50% in the office during the day.

That battery stats page in Settings-General-Battery is helpful in determining battery consumption.

Tapping items ranked in the list below the graph and paying attention stay awake stats for example can assist in determining applications that are keeping the tablet from fully sleeping when not in use leading to high drain in standby.

Tapping the battery graph itself helps determine how much time the tablet stays awake vs having its screen on. If there's a lot of tick marks on the Awake line while the screen is off then you're likely going to see more drain during standby for example. Also for LTE device users there will be a colored indication of signal strength which should also correlate with rate of discharge at the top. Low signal strength will result in increased drain in standby.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
cellular tablet

That's what I was wondering. You might be having quicker battery drain (more so than a WiFi only tablet) from the 4G trying to get a signal and if the cellular signal is weak (father away) or you cellular antenna has to work harder to keep a 4G signal (such as when in a building). That can cause significant battery drain.

Do you notice the tablet getting warm or hot when using 4G? Heat quickly drains a battery and shortens it's life span too.

How often are you in cellular 4G vs 3G vs 1x? And how strong (# of bars) is your cellular signal? All things to keep an eye on.

If you are primarily on WiFi during the day, you should turn off the cellular antenna (sorry, can't remember how).

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
@Grimgrak, @Peaches36 I have SM-P900 32gb version - Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900 (WiFi) [32GB & 64GB]

It looks like there are 4 versions. SM-P900, SM-P901, SM-P905, SM-P905V
Details here -> http://www.thegalaxytabforum.com/in...p900-sm-p901-sm-p905-sm-p905v-specifications/

Which one do you have and how long have you had it?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" (they really need a shorter name for this awesome tablet)

I have the 32g wifi version. Bought it in May. When I'm home I have to leave it plugged in, because when I unplug it there goes the battery. I kill apps, clean the cache, and delete apps I think is draining the battery. I'm at the point where I'm looking to buy a Mophie battery pack for when I'm traveling.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the 32g wifi version. Bought it in May. When I'm home I have to leave it plugged in, because when I unplug it there goes the battery. I kill apps, clean the cache, and delete apps I think is draining the battery. I'm at the point where I'm looking to buy a Mophie battery pack for when I'm traveling.

Hi Peaches36

It sounds like there could be some app misbehaving (this has happened to me more than once). Most likely the tablet and battery are just fine. Have you done a factory reset and NOT installed any apps for a day or two to see how long the battery lasts? Then start to add back the apps slowly.

Have you tried troubleshooting and look for heavy battery consuming apps with tools like :
GSam - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=CBUlm-xA
System Panel - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=0AGBGHqv

Also, post a screenshot of your battery stats graph (like I did above) and we might be able to get some info from that of what could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo