Can't stream my movies in Google Play Movies

ryancalif

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, I can't seem to stream my movies in the Google Play Movies app. It just looks to buffer endlessly, and when I try to back out of it, it doesn't work. I have to hit the home button to get out and then the app crashes.

It's not my internet speed since I can play movies on my phone over wifi using the same app.

I've tried clearing the app's cache, restarting, and even resetting the entire tablet. Nothing works! Frustrating as hell considering this was one of the main reasons I bought the tablet...

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Odd. Works perfectly for me. I would have suggested trying a different network but obviously that shouldn't be it if the phone works fine on the same network (presumably, only you know for sure if the network settings are the same). Are the play movie apps the same version? I'm on 3.2.25.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you also try Clear Data in the Settings>Apps menu for Google Play Movies? Does this happen with any movie, or just certain ones?

ryancalif

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi diddy. I tried clearing the cache and data for the app, even uninstalling the updates, and resetting the entire tablet back to factory settings.

It won't stream the movies. It will play the movies if I download them to the tablet, but I can't stream them... I can stream them on my phone using the same wifi connection.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not my internet speed since I can play movies on my phone over wifi using the same app.

To me this would imply that it is your data speeds. I would assume your wifi is faster and thus letting you stream

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Try taking a step back and disabling any security on the router (ie. Turn off WPA or WEP if you're using it). It'll be a pain to mess with but will help isolate whether certain network settings are causing issues with sustained transfer to the tablet.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Odd. Works perfectly for me. I would have suggested trying a different network but obviously that shouldn't be it if the phone works fine on the same network (presumably, only you know for sure if the network settings are the same). Are the play movie apps the same version? I'm on 3.2.25.

I have a similar issue except I can not I download or stream movies from Google Play on my Note Pro. But, I also have NO issues on my phone with download or streaming on the same network. So don't assume that the network is not the issue.

I would suggest giving Google a call. I did this in the past with a very similar issue on my son's Nexus 7 tablet (couldn't download or stream movies).

Google was able to identify the problem as being with my router. The issue/error, I got was "Couldn't fetch the license" or something like that. Essentially, the download or streaming was failing an initial license check on my home router. A work around (for me at least) is to got to a free wifi service (ie a chruch, McDonalds, etc) and start the movie (to get past the initial license check). Once past this, I could go home and download or stream the rest of the movie from then on. But for each movie, I'd have to download the license some where except home.

You can read more about my situation here https://plus.google.com/104717038301653286221/posts/a7738AiDASL

So, call Google (or rather, visit their help page and fill out their form to get called back). It's worth a shot. My experience with thier support desk was excellent.

Good luck and post back you solution.

Last edited: