Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Default Charger questions!

Folks,

I've had a bunch of tablets over the past few years, but with my new Note Pro 12.2, it looks like I'm not in Kansas anymore. I have certainly found out, at the least, that no charging brick other than the Samsung EP-TA10JBE that came with the tablet will charge the tablet -- at least if I use the Samsung-branded cable that came with it.

At any rate, after years of "just about any old USB charger will work," I'm a bit skittish about having only the one charger. So I'm looking to get something else that will work. But the only places selling the EP-TA10JBE appear to be asian-language sites, so I'm a bit stumped.

So, let's digress. I've bought a very nice 2-port power adapter from SIIG -- it provides 5.0 volts and 2.1 amps to each of its two ports. It sure as heck won't work with the Samsung USB cable, but it WILL work with any-old USB 3.0 cable.

So, is there any problem with using the SIIG and a generic USB cable?

Is there any advantage to using the Samsung specific charger and cable?

I expect there must be some of you out there who know tons more about this stuff than I do, so thanks in advance if you could send some sage advice my way.

Thanks again!

thoots

I just use a Blackberry Playbook charger when traveling, works fine, and it'd cheap, like $4 on Amazon... You do know you can charge from USB 2.0 as well, right?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Default Re: Charger questions!

Yes, I've seen discussions like that, but I haven't gotten a good gist about any advantages or disadvantages of using something like that. That's more what I'm looking for -- are things like that "slower," or might they not be able to keep the tablet powered while you're using it and actually do any good charging in the background -- that kind of thing.

thoots

There's probably chargers out there that can keep up with the tablet while in use but the best bet is the stock charger with the stock cable. As much as I'd like to deny it the cables do make a difference and since I don't own every cable on the market (or charger) I can only speak for the few that I have none of which match the performance of the stock cable/charger combo.

THAT SAID, just to note that at full brightness doing multiwindow with one window streaming HD YouTube the stock combo does not keep up with charging. This according to GSAM Battery Monitor which will show an occasional jump into positive charge but for the most part the tablet is slowly discharging.

Switch to about 50% brightness and things change with GSAM showing about 500ma of charge rate. I see about a 10 to 20% drop in efficiency using the inexpensive USB 2.0 cables that I have.

In the end it makes no difference to me, I don't use this tablet while plugged in nor do I ever have issues with low battery on it since I always top the battery off each night. I love my Anker 5-port charger which does a great job charging two tablets and 3 cell phones at once overnight.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hello all, I have 2 each plug power adapters with 2 usb ports each. One on each side of my couch, my wife charges her Ipad on her side and I charge and even use the 12.2 pad on the one on my side of the couch. BUT the current ratting is for both usb ports together,they share the current load. Both are rated 2.1amps together if only the 12.2 is plugged in, it works fine with samsung usb cable but if I try to charge my bluetooth headset while the 12.2 pad is plug in, I get the red symbole over battery. I search all over the internet and stores and could only find ones that the current rating was combination of both ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur62 View Post
    Hello all, I have 2 each plug power adapters with 2 usb ports each. One on each side of my couch, my wife charges her Ipad on her side and I charge and even use the 12.2 pad on the one on my side of the couch. BUT the current ratting is for both usb ports together,they share the current load. Both are rated 2.1amps together if only the 12.2 is plugged in, it works fine with samsung usb cable but if I try to charge my bluetooth headset while the 12.2 pad is plug in, I get the red symbole over battery. I search all over the internet and stores and could only find ones that the current rating was combination of both ports.
    Honestly that sounds like a defective or poor quality charger... You should get a decent one with independently regulated ports.

Its not worth me answering your reply, just look up current sensing power supplies.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
    There's probably chargers out there that can keep up with the tablet while in use but the best bet is the stock charger with the stock cable. As much as I'd like to deny it the cables do make a difference and since I don't own every cable on the market (or charger) I can only speak for the few that I have none of which match the performance of the stock cable/charger combo.

THAT SAID, just to note that at full brightness doing multiwindow with one window streaming HD YouTube the stock combo does not keep up with charging. This according to GSAM Battery Monitor which will show an occasional jump into positive charge but for the most part the tablet is slowly discharging.
    Well, it sure seems that the Samsung cable makes a difference -- it just won't work with any other charger brick I've tried. I decided to return the SIIG charger, even though it was a thing of beauty -- obviously a well-made piece. I've now ordered the exact Samsung charger and cable that came with the tablet -- and that will be my backup / travel gear. Pretty much "end of story" for me.

As for "full brightness," man, I'm not even close to that! I run mine at just a bit higher than half brightness.

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

thoots

Yeah I rarely run at full, just making the point that at full brightness with the processor taxed (not sure if it was fully taxed) the tablet will be pulling more current than a 2 amp charger will likely be able to keep up with. Let the cpu drop to a lower level and things change.

I typically don't use my tablet while plugged in. I'm the type that tops off regularly so the tablet rarely sees the south side of 40% battery. When it's near the couch though I do like the ability to pull it over to me and use it while charging so I dislike how short the stock cable is. Instead I use a longer usb 2.0 cable for nightly charging at home and the stock cable at work for data transfers/charging off my workstation.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk