What 64GB MicroSanDisk should I buy for Pro Note 12.2??

jaybird28

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I see some for $35 and some for $98. It looks like the Pro Plus is the $98 one. Any advise on what one I should purchase???

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What's important to you, having the highest speed possible or value?

If it's value then go for a cheaper one. If it's speed then pay attention to the speed ratings as they WILL make a difference. Most mid/low end memory cards will have vague speed specs, often times showing an "up to" rating that is general. Higher end cards will often show both read and write speed ratings, again an "up to" rating but it gives you a better idea of the speeds that are capable. In general I think its safe to say that if a manufacturer wants to highlight speed they will and if they would rather hide the fact of how slow the card is they'll avoid disclosure.

Also, don't sell other brands short. There were recent price cuts on Samsung EVO cards, I recently picked up a 64GB on black friday for $25 on Amazon to use in my Note 4. I think it's setting for $32 now ( http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4106424 ). Some have problems with reliability of cards too and prefer various brands. I don't have any recommendations there but have had good experience with Samsung and the high end Sandisk cards.

All of that said, I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gb card ( http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4106424 ) in my Note Pro and I'm very happy with it. It is not as fast as internal storage but I did notice a difference between it and the average class 10 cards out there. In a direct comparison the Sandisk Extreme Plus is definitely faster than a Sandisk Ultra card based on my tests ( Best SanDisk sdcard for PRO 12.2 - Post #8 - XDA Forums ).

My test results are confusing to some as I'm not only comparing speeds between cards but also observing the difference between using a USB 2.0 cable and 3.0 cable. The reason for testing with different cables is I wanted to see if transfer speeds to the extreme plus card would be impacted by the type of cable used. As it turned out, the internal storage is just fast enough to be quicker than usb 2.0 transfer speeds to it (we're not talking theoretical speeds here, we're talking what the tablet was able to do while connected to my HP workstation) such that 3.0 cables are better for transfers to internal storage on the note pro. My tests showed that for my setup, it really doesnt matter what cable is used when transferring to a microSD card in the note pro since the transfer times did not differ between cables regardless of which microSD card I had installed (the Sandisk Ultra vs Extreme Plus).

Hope this helps.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My personal experience is that both Samsung and ScanDisk brand's top tier offering are excellent. I haven't had any issues with either in phones, tablets, and cameras. The Samsung PRO versions are usually faster than the ScanDisk versions of the same capacity with the exception of the 128GB of both brands have the same data transmission speeds.