Samsung Galaxy Note Pro Issues

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, just picked up a WiFi only Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (SM-P900 running Android 4.4.2 kernal 3.4.39-2582108) last month and was loving it.

Last week, I started to notice the screen would flicker from time to time. A few days later, I noticed it would no longer fully charge past 65%. I'm talking even powering it off and charging with the supplied adapter overnight.

I backed it up using Samsung Kies3 and tried a factory reset and restore but no good.

I then tried a factory reset again with just my Google restore but still no good.

Finally, I did the factory reset and skipped the Google account and Samsung account steps. Still won't fully charge.

I'm not too concerned yet because I got it from Amazon and have until 1/31/15 to return it. But I would like to see if I can figure it out before I go through the return process.

bpeter

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Same boat – no help from Samsung. I’ve had my Wi-Fi only Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for about a half-year and the intermittent screen flicker problem pretty much has me ready to ditch this tablet. I have gone through all of the Developer setting changes recommended by fellow sufferers on this site, XDA, and calls to Samsung. I have tried cache-clearing, restarting, factory resetting my device, and it still has the intermittent flicker.

Thanks to this site I knew better than to send my tablet back to Samsung because I received the same lukewarm tech help where Samsung didn’t even admit to the voluminous calls from other screen flickering tablet owners.

For what we paid for this device, and all of the other Samsung products I have bought across the years, I expected more from them.

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That's why I sold my 12.2 samsung table on ebay. The same reason u guys just explained. I had lots of screen flickering.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, just picked up a WiFi only Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (SM-P900 running Android 4.4.2 kernal 3.4.39-2582108) last month and was loving it.

Last week, I started to notice the screen would flicker from time to time. A few days later, I noticed it would no longer fully charge past 65%. I'm talking even powering it off and charging with the supplied adapter overnight.

I backed it up using Samsung Kies3 and tried a factory reset and restore but no good.

I then tried a factory reset again with just my Google restore but still no good.

Finally, I did the factory reset and skipped the Google account and Samsung account steps. Still won't fully charge.

I'm not too concerned yet because I got it from Amazon and have until 1/31/15 to return it. But I would like to see if I can figure it out before I go through the return process.

I would dump your tablet. Your only going to experience more screen flickering, even when u start to watch videos.

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah its unfortunate. Only thing that seems to work for me is clearing dalvic cache (not the same as cache) periodically, but that requires custom recovery which will trip knox counter.

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I frankly expected to see a bun ch of complaints. The charging issue is getting worse. I'm wondering how many folks are NOT experiencing these problems. I'm curious if it's a software issue that would get fixed in Android 5.0 or a hardware problem.

Anyway, as I purchased this for myself for Christmas (yeah, I opened it early!), I can return to Amazon without issue. I had a similar problem 2 years ago with my Motorola Xoom purchased from Amazon and they took it back without a problem.

Has anyone heard about any similar issues with the Galaxy Tab S 10.5? That might be my next choice. Either that or the Nexus 9

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had my NP 12.2 since June this year and had no problems with screen flickering. There was a problem with Videos but I was able to fix that thanks to someone on this forum (sorry, I forgot who it was). I went into developer options and checked the box for "turn off hardware overlay". No more problem.
I have no desktop or laptop computer. My NP12 does everything I need. I've never connected with Kies so I'm wondering if connecting with Kies has anything to do with screen flickering? ! I'm no tech genius so I'm just throwing it out there.

Posted via Android Central App

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had my NP 12.2 since June this year and had no problems with screen flickering. There was a problem with Videos but I was able to fix that thanks to someone on this forum (sorry, I forgot who it was). I went into developer options and checked the box for "turn off hardware overlay". No more problem.
I have no desktop or laptop computer. My NP12 does everything I need. I've never connected with Kies so I'm wondering if connecting with Kies has anything to do with screen flickering? ! I'm no tech genius so I'm just throwing it out there.

Appreciate the reply. Thanks.

No issues with charging? When I first got it, it would charge from less than 15% to full in just a few hours. Now, I can't get irt past 70% after 24 hours, whether it's powered on or off.

I only used Kies for backing up and restoring.

Someone on the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 forum mentioned the possibility of an after-market cover with magnet that caused him issues but they went away when he removed the cover.I have a poetic cover with magnets and I've removed that. It's currently on the charger but I'm not optimistic.

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

No issues with charging? When I first got it, it would charge from less than 15% to full in just a few hours. Now, I can't get irt past 70% after 24 hours, whether it's powered on or off.

Someone on the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 forum mentioned the possibility of an after-market cover with magnet that caused him issues but they went away when he removed the cover.I have a poetic cover with magnets and I've removed that. It's currently on the charger but I'm not optimistic.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You may want to try another high output charger (these tablets need about 2 amps) if you have one. If you have other USB chargers but they're only capable of putting out less than 1 amp of current then the tablet will have to be charged while fully powered down since idle power drain can be high enough to be too much for a low powered cell phone charger.

There was another recent post about charging issues which ended up being the charging brick. Otherwise it could be a faulty battery.

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
You may want to try another high output charger (these tablets need about 2 amps) if you have one. If you have other USB chargers but they're only capable of putting out less than 1 amp of current then the tablet will have to be charged while fully powered down since idle power drain can be high enough to be too much for a low powered cell phone charger.

There was another recent post about charging issues which ended up being the charging brick. Otherwise it could be a faulty battery.

I've been using the charger that came with the tablet. I suppose it could have gone bad. I've switched the tablet to my Galaxy 5S phone charger which is probably too small, but I'll let it go over night. If that doesn't work, I have one of those 5 device bricks that has a slot for iPad Air, iPhone, Android, and some others. I could try that next.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the charger that came with the tablet. I suppose it could have gone bad. I've switched the tablet to my Galaxy 5S phone charger which is probably too small, but I'll let it go over night. If that doesn't work, I have one of those 5 device bricks that has a slot for iPad Air, iPhone, Android, and some others. I could try that next.

Sounds like a plan.

Here's the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-pro-12-2/467448-battery-charging-problem.html

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Update.

After being powered off and plugged in to the charger for 2+ days, it has reached 100%.

I unplugged it, powered it on and it started to drain about 1% per minute for the first 10 minutes. As it had been off for over 2 days, there were a good amount of Google App auto updates taking place..Other than that, I only read a few emails, checked my Facebook status, and read a few online articles,

When it reached 85%, I put it in sleep mode and closed the cover. After about 30 minutes, it was just down 1-2%..

It seems to have settled down now and is at 81%.

The GSam battery monitor shows the screen is using 59% and App Usage is 40% and WiFi is 1%.. I have the Display set to Automatic.

Within the App Usage, Android System is 11.1%, Kernal (Android OS) is 8.4%. Everything else is pretty much below 1%

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Latest update.

I decided to return the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 to Amazon for a replacement. The replacement was here before I even sent the original back. The new tablet is working very well, just as the original was in the beginning. I used it for a few days and it still only went down to 34% battery. No screen flicker. I put it on the charger while it was still running and it was back up to 100% in just an afternoon.

More to follow...

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Tab S 10.2 and Note Pro 12.2
No battery problems with either. The 12.2 screen has almost always had intermittent flickering; the various fixes will work for a while and later fail. Mine flickers mostly right at start-up or not at all. I think Samsung wants to keep selling the size but they either can't or won't fix the flicker for the 12.2 Mine is from the early builds but even most current tablets have the problem or will have it.