Tablet for doing mathematics / mathematical problems? (Note 10.1 vs Note Pro 12.2)

sorrenvino

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm a grad student interested in a tablet; at first I thought my uses were more-or-less limited to note-taking and PDF-annotation, but I was sufficiently impressed with trying out the Note 10.1 in a store that I'm now also interested in using it for actual mathematical work.

I'm trying to decide now between the Note 10.1 and the Note Pro 12.2; unfortunately the 12.2 was not available in the store. My concern is like everyone else's: is it too large (/heavy)? (Weight is a concern when I hold it up while lecturing.) However the counter-concern is just as worrisome: is the 10.1's screen too small?

If anyone has done their work (either their homework or research) on either of these tablets (e.g., for math / physics / engineering / chemistry), I'm especially interested in your experiences. The more detail the better. If you haven't actually done so but have a good feel for the nature of what I'm asking, that would also be great. I've spent a lot of time searching online but haven't found any input to this issue.

Traylaw

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I have both the 10.1 & 12.2 notes and use them both in my job as an elect. engineer. Horse power wise, they are the same except the 12.2 can be purchased with more internal memory. Why do I have both, the 10.1 is easier to carry around in the field, but the 12.2 is easier to take notes and mark up documents and drawings. Also the larger screen makes the multi window feature far more useful. I tend to use the 12.2 more then the 10.1, so it would be my choice if I had only one. These tablets have become a game changer, I keep approx 20,000 elect drawings and a library of manuals on them. My office has become an obsolete piece of real estate since I am rarely in it anymore. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse for doing your homework when you are at home and you may find that a desktop or notebook computer just gathers dust.
In addition I would suggest "Lecture Note and EZpdf" for taking notes and marking up PDF file. Hancom (comes with the tablets) is pretty good for word docs and spreadsheets. But can't wait when Microsoft Office is available for the 12.2 tablet. MS office is free and working pretty well for the 10.1.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 12.2. I've not used the 10.1" other than in the store, but the extra 2.1" makes a huge difference when you want to use 2 or 3 apps at the same time. You can watch a YouTube video tutorial in a small window at the same time as taking notes about the video or working in another app in a bigger window. And they don't have to overlap each other.

I've gotten used to the extra size and weight and it's not too big a deal anymore.

I think that if you plan to hold the tablet long periods of time without support, whether it's 10.1" or 12.2", your arm will tire about the same regardless.

I really appreciate having the larger screen, especially for typing and for annotating pdf and docs, close to real paper size.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
A side note. I just found an app called Myscript Calculator. Just installed so I don't know how extensive it is. You write an equation with the s-pen and it gives you an answer.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the 10.1 for over 9 months. My dad wanted one too recently as he thought the Note 10.1 looked more use than his iPad. We couldn't find one locally but there was a Note 12.2 (cheaper that the 10.1 online) He thought it would be too big so he had my 10.1 (mostly unused) and he bought me the 12.2.

I have been using the 12.2 now for a week and noticed very early on that my left wrist was aching from trying to hold it. it is a difficult device to hold in its natural form. Too many buttons on the bottom to avoid pressing.

I solved that problem with the Gumdrop Hideaway case with integral stand. Even using it on my lap the stand it priceless. it has made the 12.2 so much more usable and because of the extra screen size I am using functions that I never used on the 10.1.

The 10.1 feels so tiny already. It is the same feeling I had when looking at iPhones after I moved up to a Note 3.

I would definitely say get the 12.2 and the Gumdrop case and use it confidently, unless you are really pushed for space.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the club! Logitech has a nice keyboard case I use along with Logitech's micro Bluetooth mouse. I think of my 12.2 like the nice Toshiba portaple I have with a slightly smaller screen and 3x the battery and higher res display.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I love the note pro. I have the Logitech keyboard which is great and the Apple magic track pad which work excellent. Much better with space than a mouse. I also have a case that I bought on Amazon that has the wrist strap on back and a stylus holder for a larger stylus. I have the bamboo stylus with it. with the bamboo stylus and lecture notes and lecture recordings, this table is amazing. I hope that in the future Samsung will continue the 12.2 line although the sales were not great. I have the Verizon version, and have a holder mounted in my truck and just slide this baby in when I am going anywhere. It is amazing what this technology has opened up. If you are giving a lecture and use the lightweight case with the wrist trap it should work well.

The case that I have and love is: MoKo Samsung Galaxy Note PRO & Tab PRO 12.2 Case - Slim Folding Cover Case for Galaxy NotePRO & TabPRO 12.2 Android Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep)

I also have a folio case which zips and did like it because it had more room, but have not used it at all since I got this Moko.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the 10.1 for over 9 months. My dad wanted one too recently as he thought the Note 10.1 looked more use than his iPad. We couldn't find one locally but there was a Note 12.2 (cheaper that the 10.1 online) He thought it would be too big so he had my 10.1 (mostly unused) and he bought me the 12.2.

I have been using the 12.2 now for a week and noticed very early on that my left wrist was aching from trying to hold it. it is a difficult device to hold in its natural form. Too many buttons on the bottom to avoid pressing.

I solved that problem with the Gumdrop Hideaway case with integral stand. Even using it on my lap the stand it priceless. it has made the 12.2 so much more usable and because of the extra screen size I am using functions that I never used on the 10.1.

The 10.1 feels so tiny already. It is the same feeling I had when looking at iPhones after I moved up to a Note 3.

I would definitely say get the 12.2 and the Gumdrop case and use it confidently, unless you are really pushed for space.
Can you post a pic of your NPro in the Gumdrop case?

from the Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2