Buy Now or Wait

Braini4c

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So I am looking to buy a samsung tablet such as the Pro 12.2 or another one of there long listed tablets that samsung make but I am not sure if I should buy one now or wait. I am geting it to go with my samsung tv which I like how u can mirror your screen etc.

Thanks for the help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's always going to be "a better one" coming out, so "never" is the right time to buy if you want the latest. But most of the higher-end Samsung devices will mirror to Samsung TVs. Go into the store and ask to try it to make sure it works the way you like. If not, the Note 10 will mirror to any TV with an HDMI input by using Chromecast.

anon(46010)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty clear the Note Pro 12.1 is destined for obsolescence. It hasn't sold well and is riddled with unpatched bugs: it does not work with chromecast, there is no support for videos inside the Chrome (or any) browser except Dolphin, most content-rich Web pages put so much strain on the processor that there are frequent scroll lags and browser lockups. Lastly, Amazon has chosen not to allow streaming of any of its video content on any Samsung tablet, presumably as a way to encourage the sale of its own tablets.

We're coming up on a year since it's release. You would think Samsung/Google would have addressed at least some of these issues by now. But not only have they not, but when you speak to one of their techs about these issues, their standard line is, "there must be something wrong with yours. Send it in to us for repair. "

That says "cast-off orphan to me".

MilnerR

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty clear the Note Pro 12.1 is destined for obsolescence.

How is that different to every other device? Granted, Chrome doesn't like Flash videos out of the box, but neither do any of the other Jelly Bean onwards devices. I've been using the note 12.2 for a while now and it handles content heavy websites without a problem and I've yet to find a video that chrome won't play (with the exception of Flash videos). I'm not sure about the Amazon streaming as I never use it, and that does appear to be an Amazon thing rather than a Note 12.2 thing. As for Chromecast, there are a lot of devices that won't work on it, luckily the nice people over on XDA have developed a way around this.

As for whether you should wait or buy, that rather depends on what you want to use it for, if it's for general tablet stuff, surfing the web watching videos listening to music, social media etc etc then it will do all of these things very well, however if that's all you're using it for then I would go for one of the Tab range. From there it rather depends on whether you want a 10 inch screen or a 12 inch screen.

My own use-case for the note 12.2 is as a lab note book/note taking device. I can use it at the bench to plan experiments, write notes, do calculations, record data etc and then use it to take notes in meeting and so on. The stylus input makes this a joy to use. If I hadn't had this requirment I'd have gone for a Tab 10.1 or maybe a Tab 12.2.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have owned my Note Pro 12.2 for some months now, and I am not aware of having any real bugs problem.
Also, while I did have some probs with screen mirroring, I seem to have figured out what caused this problem, and seem able to get around it quite well - by the way, because I don't have a new(er) Samsung TV, but a 6-8 yr old Panasonic Plasma, I use the Netgear Push2TV 3000 for the screen mirroring.
I can also control my computer, and run programs on my computer from my Note Pro, on the Note Pro screen. I use a universal remote app to control all of the functions of my TV, AV Receiver, Blu-ray player, Cable TV box. And I use another remote app to read and acitivate music, photo and movie files on a hard drive attached to my blu-ray player to run on the blu-ray, which saves turning on my 50" plasma just to read the music files to pick an album.
When out and about, if I sit down by myself for a meal at a cafe, I can either read an e-book, or watch a full-HD movie on the beautifully sharp Note Pro screen (and this is one of the areas where the bigger 12.2" screen really shines over 10" tablet screens).
I have no problem browsing the web, using either the in-built browser, or Chrome - and watching you-tube videos.
So, Mr fairfieldwizard, I don't know what your problem is, but braini4c, I suggest you try and find who, if any, of your friends may have bought a Note Pro 12, and see what they think, and ask to sit down with it for an hour to see what YOU think.
Oh, no, I do not work for Samsung, nor do any of my family or friends (as far as I know): I am just someone who, after a lot of web-surfing, decided that the Note Pro seemed to be my tablet of choice, and bought it. And as they say, I have lived happily ever after.

tomlh

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I bought one yesterday (£324) not a bad price 900 32gb.
I have used a 10.1 2014 for the last year and I have to say this 12.2 is smoother and quicker.
Yes there may be another along next month (march?) but at that price I can live with it.
Take the plunge but shop around.

QatarHero

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Lastly, Amazon has chosen not to allow streaming of any of its video content on any Samsung tablet, presumably as a way to encourage the sale of its own tablets.

Really???, I'm watching movies on my 12.2 through my Amazon App right now...

Posted via my Beastly Galaxy Note 3

Braini4c

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
thanks for all the input I think I am going to pass on the samsung tablets because of touch wiz and look at the shield or the nexus 9.