HDMI while charging

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I use my Galaxy Note Pro to work from home via VPN. I have a connector that allows me to display my screen via HDMI on a large monitor. However it draws more power than the tablet can provide for all day working. Does anybody know of a product that will support the HDMI output while simultaneously charging the tablet?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could try screen mirroring if you have a Smart TV or get a Chromecast, that way you get the USB port for full charging purposes. MHL adapters rarely supply enough power to charge your tablet since they require power to send the image to the TV to begin with.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Works with anything with an HDMI input. Same thing, you need to power it via USB, but since it's not connected to your device, you can use one cable to power the Chromecast and another fully dedicated to charge your device.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^So then the performance of the Chromecast from a screen mirroring standpoint is just as good as a Samsung Wifi Allshare Cast Hub? I was recommended the Hub since I want to use the Note Pro 12.2 on a 23 inch Asus monitor that has an HDMI port, sometimes having my VAIO Z connected to the monitor and other times the Note Pro 12.2.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, and I'd go with the Chromecast better since there are so many more things you can do with it (plus it's cheaper).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help :)

I have a SmartTV and even then I got a Chromecast for those apps that aren't SmartTV compatible. Why? If you're casting your screen, you have to use your device and TV, right? Same thing if you're using an MHL cable to output video through HDMI. With Chromecast, however, the casting is actually being handled by the Chromecast, NOT your device. This means your device is free to be used for anything else or what's more, you don't actually use battery for it! For instance, if you want to cast a Netflix video or even a video embedded on a webpage (not all are compatible though), you initiate the streaming, Chromecast takes over, done! Your device can still control playback and stop the connection, but the streaming is actually being handled by your Chromecast, so your phone/tablet can be used for something else while you watch the TV or you can just turn the screen off and be sure that it's not using battery to cast/stream the video.

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey, does Chromecast now support full mirroring, including everything happening on the tablet's desktop, etc?
I know when it first came out, each individual app had to have it's own chromecast capability, and you didn't get the Tablets desktop through to the Chromecast.

I have been trying the Netgear Push2TV 3000, but it keeps pixilating, and eventually the picture freezes. I am still able to run my PC from the tablet, but without the benefit of a reliable picture to a larger monitor. Very frustrating as I just forked out $230.00 for a decent IPS monitor with a HDMI connection (my old monitor only had DVI and DSub) and I get pixelating and eventual freezes. I think the prob is with the Netgear Push2TV, as the picture is still fine on the Sammy.

I have also tried MHL to HDMI connector, but the picture then gets a litte fuzzy - loses that pinsharp edge. Might be the MHL adapter, as the adapter itself was only 5 pin on the Sammy side, and so needed yet another 5 pin to 6 pin adapter.

What kinds of MHL adapters are you guys using, and how good is the picture (esp for remote pc work?)

Last edited:

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I use Samsung Wifi Allshare Cast Hub but if Chromecast will work the same way I should have bought that because it's cheaper. Still not clear if it works like Samsung Wifi Allshare Cast Hub so I will wait till more chime in here.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Chromecast now supports Screen Mirroring. However, it also depends on your own home network. If your router is not optimized, you will get eventual freezes and pixellations.

rogerwalker22

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Chromecast and it mirrors everything I am doing on my Tablet, just open the App and click on the 3 lines in the top left hand corner and then click "cast screen". I use it to Cast movies, work and whatever else. I also use it for Netflix, HBO Go and Showtime Anytime. I've loved everything about this Tablet since Day 1.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, when you're 'casting' movies through apps that support Chromecast, like Netflix, ABC, HBO Go, etc., you're NOT mirroring your device. The streaming is handled by the Chromecast entirely, your device is left to just control playback and to do whatever else you want. With Screen Mirroring your device is doing all the work on top of sending the image to the Chromecast, which means the processing and battery drain is taking a toll on your device. If you use an app that supports Chromecasting natively, the app hands off the task to the Chromecast, thus, processing is NOT done on your device, neither is streaming, so battery consumption can be as low as your normal standby mode if you just leave your device there with the screen off (which you also can't do while Screen Mirroring).

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
All I want to do is stream spreadsheet data to a large screen TV during our Board Meetings. I am currently using the Samsung Wifi Allshare Cast Hub for this but it is a hassle to get connected sometimes. I think I have figured out how to do it by plugging in the hub first, let it boot up, then turn on the tablet and do the mirror thing. That works but you have to get to the meeting early to set this up. I would just like to plug in Chromcast into the TV USB slot and mirror from the tablet. I don't care about battery drain as the meetings only last an hour or so.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then yeah, pretty easy. Just remember, the Chromecast needs an HDMI port for video AND an USB port for power. Now, I can't remember if you also need to be on the same WiFi as the tablet casting the screen (if so, on top of that, you'd need to make sure your network isn't blocking streaming ports, but if you use Samsung's, I'm guessing it doesn't). I remember that WiFi Direct mode was going to be enabled soon but can't recall if it actually happened or not since I only use mine on the same network.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Got the Chromecast hooked up using the Note Pro 12.2 casting the screen to an Asus 23 inch monitor. The Chromecast is connected to an HDMI splitter. HDMI 1 is using a VAIO laptop and HDMI 3 has the Chromecast connected to it. Everything is connected to the network and the tablet's desktop appears after I cast the screen to the Asus monitor for about a minute but then it freezes causing the Note Pro 12.2 to reboot. Any ideas?

Edit: Is this happening since the Note Pro 12.2 is not yet supported? Are you guys having any freezes and reboots also?

Last edited:

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Update: I am using my Note 3 with the Chromecast and performance is flawless. Performance with the Note Pro 12.2 is absolutely frustrating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2