upgraded versions any time soon?

soloveich

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Looking to test one of those out to see if it can substitute my current computer as a work station. But it's a couple of years old. Does anyone know if any upgraded versions are planned for any time soon?

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded OS version is rolling out now. Most of USA has it already. It's called Lollipop. Upgraded tablet. No, it's just fine as it is. To answer your question about using this tablet as a work station we need to know what productivity programs you use on your current work station. I have found that it is barely usable for spreadsheet or database stuff. OK for word processing if you can type on a external blue tooth keyboard. Somewhat harder to work with PDF's. But it is great for note taking and browsing websites and looking at news feeds. I don't do games. Some 3rd party photo apps are pretty good also. This tablet takes good videos and photos.

soloveich

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I heavily use Google office suit (Actually, spreadsheets for the most part), as well as Google drive. I code in c9 (online coding platform). Once on a while, I need some basic graphic editing. Basically, most of my work is either in cloud, or on my phone. So, I figured, might as well drop the pc, since Windows is getting worse with each release, and my opinion of Mac-it's a sect. I guess purpose of my question was to see if there are some newer devices coming out, so I wouldn't end up with something outdated on my hands.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Get a good external keyboard, (I recommend Logitech Pro but others like the Samsung external keyboard) and you are good to go. Please report back to tell us how it goes after you purchase this tablet.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Another keyboard you can look at is the Jorno bluetooth folding keyboard. It's not part of a case but it works quite well.
If you use Google office suite, Microsoft has versions of PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook, Note and Lense available in the play store. They work nice. There is also Hancom Office in Samsung store. Has more features than Microsoft but not as steady when using. It tends to shut down in the middle of doing something, especially Hancom Show, their version of PowerPoint.
I've had my tablet since it first came out. Currently running 5.0.2 and have had no problems. I use it for work doing client presentations (individual and group), business applications (insurance, investments etc..), Skype calls to family and friends in England, Thailand and of course here in the states. I have the Jorno keyboard, Samsung SMouse, Axxa Pico (Android) projector for group presentations and training new people in my business.
It is a real workhorse. I dumped all computers 3 years ago and have progressed through several tablets and this one does everything I need.
I don't think Samsung has plans to introduce another large tablet for awhile and that's why they gave this one Lollipop which real brought it up to date. As treetopsranch said, it is good for note taking. Lecture Notes is a great app for that. Lots of customization.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Grimgrak

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
This is also the downfall of the SNP12.2 with each firmware update it gets worse and worse. I have lollipop sitting here downloaded and can't even figure out how to get rid of it. Kitkat is just perfect. I may finally crack and root this sucker just so I dont get spammed with worthless updates and bloatware that i'll never use.
I heavily use Google office suit (Actually, spreadsheets for the most part), as well as Google drive. I code in c9 (online coding platform). Once on a while, I need some basic graphic editing. Basically, most of my work is either in cloud, or on my phone. So, I figured, might as well drop the pc, since Windows is getting worse with each release, and my opinion of Mac-it's a sect. I guess purpose of my question was to see if there are some newer devices coming out, so I wouldn't end up with something outdated on my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attila