multi media docks

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Anyone ever used any of the Samsung multimedia docks - the ones that have a couple of usb ports, hdmi out, and even, I think, an ethernet port?

Samsung have put out a couple of these from time to time. This one seems to be the latest version:

Tab S2 Multi Media Dock | SAMSUNG Australia

I tried it out in a store in Melboure with my note pro, but it would not read my portable hard drive which my pro can normally read with an OTG cable (but it did read a sales-person's USB stick.)

The salesperson, who gave me a fair bit of his time, couldn't tell me if the hdmi would work through an avr, or only directly to a TV. I asked this question as I have two MHL hdmi adapters, one a Samsung, the other from Belkin, but the Samsung would only work through a TV (put up a message on the Note Pro screen telling me to connect to a tv when I tried to connect via my AVR) while the Belkin would work either way.

There is also this third party dock which, while primarily marketed as a PC dock, can allegedly work with android tablets with an OTG.

Diamond DS3900V2 Ultra Dock Dual Video USB 3.0/2.0 Docking Station with Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI and DVI Outputs Audio Input and output for Laptop, Ultrabook, Macbook®, Windows 8, 7, XP and Mac OS. Display Link Certified, DL- 3900 Chip

Anyone?

AceHandler

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys - 270+ peeks and no responses?

Nobody????

:'(

Alrighty then! I looked at the dock you posted about in your first post (your link didn't work btw) at the Samsung website. Nice looking little device. But the description was quite vague (non-existing?) about what this would do for you exactly. There doesn't appear to be a male mini-USB to dock it into when it's on the stand, the only mini-USB is on the end of a "charging" cord. My first tablet was a Motorola Xoom - a great little tablet for the money back in the day, and I bought a speaker dock for it that really rocked! It would only play at best 720p video but that speaker dock both held the tablet at the optimal viewing angle and sounded great...I still use that Xoom once in awhile for old time's sake. That's the kind of dock I would REALLY be interested in for the NotePRO...but I haven't looked for one like that. Ideally a dock with great speakers and a bunch of ins and outs (how about HDMI in so you can record from your cable/satellite box?). That's my $.02 worth :)

Polotis

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't a dock interfere with the Logitech keyboard?

Yes but you could put in a, let's say, Logitech wireless dongle in the USB port to then use both a mouse and a proper keyboard! So, then at home you could use this and then the bluetooth keyboard (Logitech)/case for coffee shop this and that mobility!

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Alrighty then! I looked at the dock you posted about in your first post (your link didn't work btw) at the Samsung website. Nice looking little device. But the description was quite vague (non-existing?) about what this would do for you exactly. There doesn't appear to be a male mini-USB to dock it into when it's on the stand, the only mini-USB is on the end of a "charging" cord.

What it would do (for me) is would allow me to simultaneously use a hard drive with videos on it while connecting via hdmi to a tv (or, hopefully, an AVR). Plus use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control from my lounge chair while the whole setup is sitting near my entertainment system.

Alrighty then! (your link didn't work btw)

Funny, I just tried both links now, and they worked!!

There doesn't appear to be a male mini-USB to dock it into when it's on the stand, the only mini-USB is on the end of a "charging" cord.

The pullout mini usb chord on the back of the dock (left hand side when looking at the back) goes directly into the Note Pro (or whatever android device you are using).

As I said the guy at Samsung Highpoint actually connected it up to my Note Pro - the Note Pro immediately showed the dock functions, but was not happy reading the 1TB Portable hard drive (which my note pro normally reads either connected directly or when plugged into a usb hub, so it wasn't the hard drive). But there wasn't any tv handy to test the hdmi output.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but what I need is a post from someone who actually has used this or a similar dock (or even the Diamond dock I linked to), still has the dock, and can test its hdmi output to an AVR (I have a Samsung 2nd gen mhl adapter that will not output to an avr, but will output to a tv, while I also have a Belkin mhl adapter that will output to both a TV and and AVR. So I am wary of samsung hdmi connections - I want to be sure it will output to an AVR not just a tv.