Best tablet for study purpose

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys, I don't know if it's the right sub-forum to post. I've done some reading and assumed this tablet was the ideal due to its screen size and s-pen, but don't know if it's right.

I have basically to watch video-lessons, read pdf's and highlight it. Fluidity as well.

Am I right choosing this one?

Thank you

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want the note-taking prowess of the Note line on a tablet, I'd go for this one or the 10.1 version. For me, the 10 inch one is more manageable and portable than the 12, but that's down to preference.

If note-taking isn't what you're after, then you have cheaper (and newer) options out there. For highlighting you can use any plain old rubber-tip stylus or even an active one (won't give you as much precision or pressure-sensitivity as the S-Pen). I like the original Tab S 10.5 for the big, AMOLED screen. The second generation lowered that to 9.7 inches, but has a 4:1 aspect ratio, so feels more like a notebook.

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
If you want the note-taking prowess of the Note line on a tablet, I'd go for this one or the 10.1 version. For me, the 10 inch one is more manageable and portable than the 12, but that's down to preference.

If note-taking isn't what you're after, then you have cheaper (and newer) options out there. For highlighting you can use any plain old rubber-tip stylus or even an active one (won't give you as much precision or pressure-sensitivity as the S-Pen). I like the original Tab S 10.5 for the big, AMOLED screen. The second generation lowered that to 9.7 inches, but has a 4:1 aspect ratio, so feels more like a notebook.

Thanks for the input.

My main goal for at least a year is watching video-lessons whilst taking notes, so I believe I need a good pen. I wasn't aware the S and S2 recognized the pen. Thanks again.

Traylaw

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
As an engineer, I have been using this 12.2 Note Pro for both work and home. It is great for reading / highlighting manuals. I have thousands of electrical drawings stored on this device for troubleshooting and making drawing revisions ( the pen is invaluable for this ). This note pro has worked flawlessly for me. It can't replace everything I do with a desktop but in the field it's more portable than a notebook and has much greater battery life.
I would recommend ditching Samsung's Touchwiz launcher and go with something like Nova Launcher. Also Install Hancom's Office Suite, it is free to owners of the Galaxy series devices. It is as close to microsoft office you will get on a mobile device. It even works better than microsoft office for android. You will need to download it from the Samsung's store.

Posted via the Android Central App

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
As an engineer, I have been using this 12.2 Note Pro for both work and home. It is great for reading / highlighting manuals. I have thousands of electrical drawings stored on this device for troubleshooting and making drawing revisions ( the pen is invaluable for this ). This note pro has worked flawlessly for me. It can't replace everything I do with a desktop but in the field it's more portable than a notebook and has much greater battery life.
I would recommend ditching Samsung's Touchwiz launcher and go with something like Nova Launcher. Also Install Hancom's Office Suite, it is free to owners of the Galaxy series devices. It is as close to microsoft office you will get on a mobile device. It even works better than microsoft office for android. You will need to download it from the Samsung's store.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thank you.

The question is: There's no new Note in sight for the foreseeable future and there is a certain urgency to buy one (provided that I'm ruling out other models, Tab S and S2, for instance).

If you were me, what would you do?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

My main goal for at least a year is watching video-lessons whilst taking notes, so I believe I need a good pen. I wasn't aware the S and S2 recognized the pen. Thanks again.

Just as a note (see what I did there? hehe), Tab S doesn't recognize the S-Pen; they just don't have the circuitry. BUT there are active stylii that just have a thinner tip than the 'normal' rubber tip ones and create an Electromagnetical field around the tip that helps register better on 'normal' screens. This gives you better input than your finger or the passive stylus, but not as accurate or with pressure sensitivity as the S-Pen does (some apps simulate pressure by how long you keep the 'pen' on the screen though) and also remember that unless the app supports it, palm rejection is not an option on normal screens (some Samsung devices, Tab S line included, do let you select an area of the screen that won't respond to touch, but that disables touch for everything and any app and even the active stylus wouldn't work in that area.

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Amazon still has 32gb new models for sale. And duckdeals.com still has 64gb new for sale.

Just as a note (see what I did there? hehe), Tab S doesn't recognize the S-Pen; they just don't have the circuitry. BUT there are active stylii that just have a thinner tip than the 'normal' rubber tip ones and create an Electromagnetical field around the tip that helps register better on 'normal' screens. This gives you better input than your finger or the passive stylus, but not as accurate or with pressure sensitivity as the S-Pen does (some apps simulate pressure by how long you keep the 'pen' on the screen though) and also remember that unless the app supports it, palm rejection is not an option on normal screens (some Samsung devices, Tab S line included, do let you select an area of the screen that won't respond to touch, but that disables touch for everything and any app and even the active stylus wouldn't work in that area.

Thank you.

Is it worth it to buy an used one? Less-than-a-year old one, specifically.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.

Is it worth it to buy an used one? Less-than-a-year old one, specifically.

Only if you get a good deal. This is a great tablet, but being such a big screen and because of what you need it for, having an used battery might not be the best idea going forward unless you're planning on replacing this one a year in.

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Only if you get a good deal. This is a great tablet, but being such a big screen and because of what you need it for, having an used battery might not be the best idea going forward unless you're planning on replacing this one a year in.

I believe it's a good deal what I'm trying to get. It comes already with a case and a keyboard. When you say 'replacing this one', you mean the battery or the tablet?

Thanks again

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant the tablet.

What specific device variant are you looking at, WiFi model (SM-P900) or an LTE variant (if so which?). Not sure if you're aware but there are some differences between them . . CPU being one, ease of rootability and custom ROM availability being another.

gusamaso

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I think he meant the tablet.

What specific device variant are you looking at, WiFi model (SM-P900) or an LTE variant (if so which?). Not sure if you're aware but there are some differences between them . . CPU being one, ease of rootability and custom ROM availability being another.

I see. Not cool, I believe. I might as well buy myself a brand new, then. Concerning the variants of the device, I've done some reading and the LTE one has a better processor (snapdragon). Am I right? As of the other differences, I am not quite aware.

Thank you.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I see. Not cool, I believe. I might as well buy myself a brand new, then. Concerning the variants of the device, I've done some reading and the LTE one has a better processor (snapdragon). Am I right? As of the other differences, I am not quite aware.

Thank you.

On second thought he may have meant battery.

While not as easy as a removable battery, the battery in the note pro isn't hard to replace. Amazon has them I believe. It's not like one has to solder anything or use heat to open the device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just hope Samsung comes out with a refreshed Note line this year. The Tab S line with a stylus would be awesome thanks to those lovely AMOLED screens. The Note tablet line only as LCD screens, and while not bad, it's really lacking when you compare to the AMOLED ones (and battery would be a lot better, too!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36