Any news on a updated version

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I love this tablet and it works like a champ. The further and further we get from the current OS version has me worried that we'll soon be left behind...we are going on year 3. I don't want to go smaller than 12.2.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there will be an update involving a bump to a newer version of Android. There may be security updates, but that's likely it.

Walter Turns

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I keep looking for any news about the chromebook 3 pro. Has anyone heard of a realize date yet? I still use my note 12.2 daily and like it very much. But am interested in the pro 3

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
And it seems from the current AC review that the Samsung will even have a reasonable price relative to the NP12.2. Although will it have the S-Pen apps and functions?

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I played with it in the store and it didn't seem like it was better than my NP12.2 and I found out that Android apps can't access the SD card slot (it is a Chromebook after all). So it was a no go for me.
My best option might be to just get Tab Pro S or Surface Pro 4 and run BlueStacks or AMIDuos for my Android app fix.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I received an email with a link to an Android Central post (if I remember correctly) about a new Samsung Chrome book that includes the S-Pen. Not sure if it is the same as in the Amazon link above.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Galaxy Tab S3 will have SPen support which should be nice for those looking to keep the functionality but move up to more modern specs. Early pre-release first looks from MWC seem to indicate that the modernness is relative though since from the few I've watched\read the CPU is last year's Snapdragon 820 and preview models have Android 6.0 on them.

Seems to me that Samsung is playing it safe with tablets these days in order to keep them affordable. Can't say that I blame them since Google sat on the sidelines trying to unify phone and tablet OS (which eventually led to the demise of Google branded Android tablets) while Samsung and Apple tried to expand the tablet market with the functionality that tablet users really wanted. If my note pro gives up the ghost I'll surely buy a tab S3 since I prefer an Android tablet for media consumption and general browsing but I don't think that the S3 has enough spec bumps to justify the jump just yet. I guess that I'll wait to see if a healthy development following establishes on XDA for it. If it is rootable and pricing leads to a lot of developers jumping in I'll buy one.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Why do you care about rooting or XDA support for something that is just coming out? I'm just curious.
It's not a Note Pro replacement more like a Tab A replacement. I might pick one up just to check it out. By the time it's out the Chromebook Pro will be out, so I might get that instead. Who knows.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Why do you care about rooting or XDA support for something that is just coming out? I'm just curious.
It's not a Note Pro replacement more like a Tab A replacement. I might pick one up just to check it out. By the time it's out the Chromebook Pro will be out, so I might get that instead. Who knows.
Root is imperative for me. The very first thing I install is GMD Gesture Control so that I can easily control the device via custom gestures. I've been using it for so long that I cannot imagine using a mobile device without it. Certain actions are deeply engrained in my psyche at this point like three fingers down to go back or four finger pinch to go home and dozens of other gestures to start certain apps or widgets.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh...okay. That must be a necessity since you give up the device warranty when rooting.
Hats off sir.
Yeah I've always used squaretrade instead, they'll honor service on rooted devices regardless. It's an added cost but I buy my devices to do what I require of them so it's a price worth paying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke